Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
People all over are kind. Our daughter had her school bag stolen last week, by some bullies who trashed it, causing a good amount of damage. But someone else recovered it, tracked down her school from the crest and dropped it off. By doing so they saved all her work, including an art project she had worked on for weeks.

This sort of thing goes on all the time. The theft is newsworthy but the recovery isn't. So we see only one side of people represented in the media. Those who watch the news under some odd misunderstanding that it represents "truth" figure that everyone sucks. So they might as well act in the same way. Standards get degraded. Everything slides towards the lowest common denominator.

It takes a real force of will and commitment to break the cycle. But it's worth it!

04-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
They obviously got up much earlier than I did, good for them ... too bad for me. And, yes, better be off and look for something else interesting.
JP
I am one of those with the monstrous cannon(several actually) super telephoto lenses. Any place i set up with my cases, bags etc I am very aware that I mat block someone else. So unless I am actually shooting I always look behind me and am ready to move to help someone else. This attitude has gotten a lot of positive response for me over the years. I find it's a nice way to break the ice and gain knowledge about other camera and lenses. I often have people observe through my lenses and I through theirs. If I had been there you would have had a spot. Beside, 'Baby it's cold out there!"
04-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Next time just start "accidentally" bumping into them each time they are about to take a shot. If you prefer something more drastic you can always start throwing their equipment over the cliff. The first piece of "L" glass you send over you will see people jump for it, and then there will be plenty of space for you to set up.
04-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Next time just start "accidentally" bumping into them each time they are about to take a shot. If you prefer something more drastic you can always start throwing their equipment over the cliff. The first piece of "L" glass you send over you will see people jump for it, and then there will be plenty of space for you to set up.
Oh Yeah! I know people who would go over a cliff after their $12,000 lens attached to their $4,000 body with their $2,000 support system plus they had their 'other' gear bag hung from the cross struts and it has another $10,000 in gear in it. No I didn't say they were a friend of mine for that person did a real good sneer at my "old, cheap" equipment. Then my photo was chosen to get enlarged and hung in the National Eagle Center, maybe because I gave it them, but I had managed to capture a great number of Bald Eagles in one frame which was mostly luck plus persistence.

04-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Thanks for that, I never laughed so hard in my life.
04-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I am one of those with the monstrous cannon(several actually) super telephoto lenses. Any place i set up with my cases, bags etc I am very aware that I mat block someone else. So unless I am actually shooting I always look behind me and am ready to move to help someone else. This attitude has gotten a lot of positive response for me over the years. I find it's a nice way to break the ice and gain knowledge about other camera and lenses. I often have people observe through my lenses and I through theirs. If I had been there you would have had a spot. Beside, 'Baby it's cold out there!"
I am all for monstrous cannons for those who are lucky enough to have one(several ...? ).
I am very happy to see that you share your space! Well done!
I have yet to meet cannon owners willing to do this here though .... maybe I didn't look hard enough.
Cheers.

JP
04-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

For what it's worth:

I never, never, never go to birding "hot spots". Do you want to see birds and their habitat or people and their habitat? By and large they are mutually exclusive. Find you own hot spots.

If I even hear a tractor a half mile away it turns me off. I don't go out in the field to socialize but to bird.

But I have a big advantage over most. I live in a county of 2500 sq miles with 18000 mostly rural people in it. They know me with my gear and I know them and we leave each other alone. I've birded here for years and know exactly where to go. A ten minute drive and I'm in some of the best habitat in the state.

But I'm a purest and make no apologies for that.

04-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #23

So wildman, what county would that be? You don't have a location listed, and your profile says United States. Sounds like West Texas, but I suppose it could be many places in the US. But I agree, you've got to work and search to find your special places, to get a view that's a bit different from the herd.
04-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For what it's worth:

I never, never, never go to birding "hot spots". Do you want to see birds and their habitat or people and their habitat? By and large they are mutually exclusive. Find you own hot spots.

If I even hear a tractor a half mile away it turns me off. I don't go out in the field to socialize but to bird.

But I have a big advantage over most. I live in a county of 2500 sq miles with 18000 mostly rural people in it. They know me with my gear and I know them and we leave each other alone. I've birded here for years and know exactly where to go. A ten minute drive and I'm in some of the best habitat in the state.

But I'm a purest and make no apologies for that.
That's usually what I do ... until I tested the grounds .... no dice for me!
I have my fav spots and will stick to them.
I am lucky too: lots of clear, wild and rural areas around!
JP
04-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
krb

I agree with you that there always another picture to shoot but I was so peeved that I wouldn't even think about that.
This photo you are showing is so real! I wonder how many of those people actually think: "What a crowd" What the heck are we doing here?"
I would tend to admit that I myself am becoming selfish because I "want" to be the only one in the place, doing what I intended to do when I left home for "my spots".

JP
Just imagine how this guy felt when he headed out in the morning with his fishing tackle:

05-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krb Quote
Just imagine how this guy felt when he headed out in the morning with his fishing tackle:

This is it!!
That is what the "spot" I was mentioning looked like ... well, maybe not as tightly crowded but close enough.
I feel sorry for the poor fisherman there ... I wonder if he had more luck than the photographers?
Where was this taken?

JP
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
krb

Where was this taken?
Connowingo Dam north of Baltimore. Great place for bald eagles. The weather as bad this day so it was less crowded than usual.
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Connowingo Dam north of Baltimore. Great place for bald eagles. The weather as bad this day so it was less crowded than usual.
Hey, I know a few of those guys
I live about 20 minutes away so I go there a good bit nov.-jan. There is alot of room there actually, there is usually some action where I am not standing.

05-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey, I know a few of those guys
I live about 20 minutes away so I go there a good bit nov.-jan. There is alot of room there actually, there is usually some action where I am not standing.

Looks like the same guy fishing in both shoots, obviously the photographers don't bother him.
05-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

He does look like it might be the same guy. There is more room on the new walkway than it looks. Fishermen used to crowd the catwalk on the dam, but they closed it after 9-11. Instead of hiring a couple security guys they spent millions on a new concrete fishing area. It is nice though, and handicap accessible. I have better luck getting good Eagle shots a little down the shore usually. Right after the sun gets up is usually good for me.