Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What is Cable Switch Terminal used for ?

Hi

I've just started exploring some of the myriad functions of my new K10D and would like to know what purpose the Cable Switch Terminal serves ? I suspect it might enable photographers to fire the shutter using a manually operated proprietary button of some description, but have perhaps been labouring under the misguided impression that one could only trigger the camera's release by using the infra-red front/rear sensors ? Any advice would be much appreciated, so it's over to you..........

Last edited by Confused; 07-20-2007 at 08:19 PM.
07-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi

I've just started exploring some of the myriad functions of my new K10D and would like to know what purpose the Cable Switch Terminal serves ? I suspect it might enable photographers to fire the shutter using a manually operated proprietary button of some description, but have perhaps been labouring under the misguided impression that one could only trigger it's release by using the infra-red front/rear sensors ? Any advice would be much appreciated, so it's over to you..........
It's an useful device when you want to fire the shutter but not want to touch the camera thus avoiding any vibration caused by pressing the shutter.

This is particularly even more useful and is actually essential when you need to take the shots instaneously.
07-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a thought, if you stick a cellphone headset into your cable release port, it turns the shutter half press action into a full press action meaning a light half press will set off the shutter.
07-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's exactly what the cable switch jack is for, and unlike many other cameras, it isn't really proprietary.

1) It's the exact same connector and wiring as the lower-end Canon DSLRs (like the Rebels)
2) It's a 2.5mm tip/ring/sleeve jack, which is the exact same jack that "standard" cell phone headsets use. (Not the 4-conductor Nokia 2.5mm)

See instructables.com and camerahacker.com for info on building Pentax/Canon cable switch releases yourself. (Although if you don't already own a soldering iron, solder, and such, you're probably better off with fleabay.)

07-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just buy a Canon RS60-E3. It's only half of the price of the Pentax's clone of the Canon which is named CS-205 by Pentax. I'm sure that Canon made the product first long ago. The RS60E3 can be found and purchased everywhere where as I am sure you will have more troubles to get the "Pentax".

A home-built one can save you money but the operation and build cannot be as good. Why waste the time to save so little but have something which is not as good to use? :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
That's exactly what the cable switch jack is for, and unlike many other cameras, it isn't really proprietary.

1) It's the exact same connector and wiring as the lower-end Canon DSLRs (like the Rebels)
2) It's a 2.5mm tip/ring/sleeve jack, which is the exact same jack that "standard" cell phone headsets use. (Not the 4-conductor Nokia 2.5mm)

See instructables.com and camerahacker.com for info on building Pentax/Canon cable switch releases yourself. (Although if you don't already own a soldering iron, solder, and such, you're probably better off with fleabay.)
07-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks for all your replies including the invaluable links, which only goes to prove that one can always learn some fascinating facts every day. As I initially suspected the CS terminal appears to provide an alternative method of triggering the shutter, rather than using an infra-red r/c release.
07-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Just buy a Canon RS60-E3. It's only half of the price of the Pentax's clone of the Canon which is named CS-205 by Pentax. I'm sure that Canon made the product first long ago. The RS60E3 can be found and purchased everywhere where as I am sure you will have more troubles to get the "Pentax".

A home-built one can save you money but the operation and build cannot be as good. Why waste the time to save so little but have something which is not as good to use? :-)
I'd be inclined to disagree. I like the idea of being able to focus without any risk of triggering the shutter.

Also, most of the homebuilds have a toggle switch seperate from the shutter pushbutton wired in parallel to support easy bulb exposures. I'm sure the Canon and Pentax switches have some sort of locking functionality, but it's not going to be as easy as flicking a nice lever-based toggle switch.

Still, unless you know how to solder, yes, the Canon trigger is a far better solution. Homebuilding is only for those who know how to solder and enjoy making stuff, like myself.