Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Extension tubes

I've got a new Pentax K-x and have come into possession of a set of compatible and inexpensive extension tubes (6mm, 13mm, and 28mm). I intend to play around with them for macro photography just to see what kind of results I can get. Any good tips on properly using tubes in macro photography, pitfalls, things to be aware of, appropriate camera settings, etc.? I know I'll be sacrificing auto focus.

I've never used tubes before and wanted to experiment a bit. I'll be using them with the stock 18-55mm zoom lens that shipped with the camera. A true macro lens is in my future, but not right now. Thanks for any advice. This is a great forum by the way, one of the best I've come across.

04-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming they are manual (which 99% are) the kit lens will only shoot with them wideopen. You need a lens with an aperture ring for proper use. Also with extension tubes DOF dissapears and light is lost. Whenever i use all three extension tubes together I use an external flash for added light to stop down even in broad daylight.

I shoot ~80% macro with extension tubes on my macro lens.
04-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It would work like a manual focus lens so you must read this first if you haven't tried manual lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

It would also depend whether your tubes have an aperture lever or not.
If it has aperture levers to actuate the lens aperture, then the rule for the manual focus lenses would be for it.