Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #1

Where did you buy

Your Pentax from? I'm new to the forums, and I'm getting ready to jump in the waters of the K100D. I was set on getting the canon s3IS. But after a little more research, I dceide to give the K100D a shot. So far I found pretty good prices at bhphotovideo.com and beachcamera.com. Also buydig.com. Have any of you guys used these places before. Or recommend any other places to buy from?

Thanks for any info.

11-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought 1 locally, 1 from Butterfly Photo, and the latest one from B & H.
11-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
Your Pentax from? I'm new to the forums, and I'm getting ready to jump in the waters of the K100D. I was set on getting the canon s3IS. But after a little more research, I dceide to give the K100D a shot. So far I found pretty good prices at bhphotovideo.com and beachcamera.com. Also buydig.com. Have any of you guys used these places before. Or recommend any other places to buy from?

Thanks for any info.
These are all good places. B&H prices may be a tad higher, but they have great service. I've purchased from Beach Camera a couple of times with no problems. Buydig.com is the same place as Beach Camera (yeah, I know it's a separate website, but I don't really know why).

If you have questions about a place, best to ask questions here, and also check Compare Prices and Read Customer Reviews at ResellerRatings.com.
11-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote

Thanks for any info.
considering the k100 and the canon S3IS are close to the same price, I think you made a wise choice. I was going to convince my wife before I came to this forum to get the S3, but after seeing the photos from it with low light, the k100 has a lot less digital noise.

being in canada I can't tell you a good american place to buy, but the place I have an order with Henry's Camera Canada Photo - Video - Digital Camera's
does ship to the united states.
you are likely better to get the k100 from a dealer that you don't have to ship it everytime something is wrong as it could cost you a lot of money in the long run.

good luck!

11-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, when I started comparing the two. The K100D seem to shine a little bit more in my eyes. I'm sure the guys on the canon forums would think other wise. But I plan on trying to keep at this photography for awhile, so having the options to upgrade to even better and bigger lens would be a plus. I'm thinking of taking some classes at the local college.
11-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I went ahead and order my camera from buydig.com, since they had K10ds in stock and they were only $899 no tax or shipping. I went ahead and got my lenses at B&H since buydig didn't have the best selection on Pentax lenses. I do most of my online ordering from B&H though.
11-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Who to buy from...

I try to buy locally, they are my neighbors and my customers. That would be Kurt's Camera Corral. The senior sales person, Bill H., helped me pre-order the K10. Four years ago Bob C. was my go-to guy for the *-ist D (he retired).

But I also buy a lot of weird stuff that's too expensive for a small retailer to keep in stock. My greatest satisfaction marks and business then go to B&H. Never a hassle, never disappointed-1500+ miles shipping can cause some havoc-they always respond quickly and positively.

For just plain down-home honesty and straight pre-sales advice the View Camera Store in Arizona is the best. They're mostly large format but there is some cross-over and they 'know' what they sell-no hype, just simple honest answers! And they think about their customers 'needs' (with an eye towards economy) from start to final delivery.
11-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #8

Calumet.com is where I bought my K100D kit, fast service and no nonsense ordering with prices on par to B&H

I would definately shop with them again.

11-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought the *ist D from some completely unknown Electronic store through Ebay. The DS and the DL came both from Willoughby's.

Willoughbys Home
11-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

ZX-50 = B and H
*ist = Adorama
K10D= Willoughy's
11-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
WRB
Forum Member

Local Shops

A little more money but I like to have the service. Shutterbug Camera and Advance Camera in Portland, Or. ME Super, ZX7, DS, all at the Shutterbug..the K10D will be from Advance Camera..
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #12

I generally buy from B&H or Adorama, but after waiting for them to get the K10D in stock I just cancelled my Adorama order and ordered from Amazon, who has them in stock. I still have the battery grip on order from Adorama.
11-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I Mainly buy fron B&H or Adorama. Amazon Is a runner up.

BK
11-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Got my first Ds, the workhorse, from my local Samy's Camera in Pasadena. About a year or so later, was able to obtain a second Ds from Costco (on closeout). Got the K100D from the same Samy's and the K10D from the Samy's on Los Feliz in Los Angeles.

Lenses I get from a variety of sources. The ones I got with my MX thirty years ago were from Frank's Highland Park Camera, but sadly, they no longer sell cameras, even though their store is now a 'museum' of older camera gear. Since then, my favorite places to get lenses is KEH, B&H, and one from Adorama. The Sigma superzooms came from sigma4less.com. eBay was also a source before the madness too hold two years ago.
11-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get my cameras locally. The last one, the K10, was the exact same price everyone else had it for. If I ever need repair I can take it to them and they will ship it to Pentax for free.