Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
Good shots, and just goes to show that the photographer and the lens are just as important as the camera body.

I am glad to see that with the 85mm......Oh how I wish Pentax would release a spiritual successor to the A* 85mm 1.4......I would buy, potentially whatever price it may be...
Thank you! Yes, I was able to get some pretty sharp results with the Rokinon 85, but I admit it's like pulling teeth. The margin for error -- even at f/4 or so -- is so, so slim. I wear my "manual focus lens" badge with pride, but I wouldn't have minded a little AF help during a few parts of the concert .

Here's another for good measure in case anyone is thinking about this body/lens combo:

I blew out the highlights a bit and would've liked to have the Fender in better focus, but I was really happy with the low noise overall and sharpness of his fedora! This was ISO 1600, 1/125 and around f/4 (EXIF isn't captured for aperture with this lens). Shake Reduction was turned off, as I find it's not that helpful with a non-stationery subject. (Learned that from someone here and can't for the life of me remember who it was that suggested turning it off.)

P.S. Just wanted to clarify from above that the person talking up Canon/Nikon and/or "it must be the light" wasn't the house photographer. It was another viewer posting underneath his gallery (and then mine) on a Facebook page. The house shooter was very helpful, willing to share space, etc., so I don't want to inadvertently knock him.

04-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it is a knock on Pentax. There is a general feeling among "average Joes" that the difference in good photographers and bad photographers is the equipment. I can't tell you how many times I have had people look at photos I have taken and say "Wow, you must have a really nice camera." They don't really know the difference between Nikon, Canon or Pentax. They only know they couldn't take photos like that and assume the difference is the camera.

Well, I do have a nice camera, but it isn't the camera and I definitely haven't learned everything yet. Still, when folks make comments like that, I try to take it as a complement, which it is (sort of).

Great photos, by the way. Looks like really tough conditions to shoot in.
04-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get the "You have really good equipment" statement alot from people that aren't into photography. The only real problem that I've had was at a photo club that I recently joined, where there were a couple of "Canikon Know it alls" Yapping their mouths on how their equipment is the Best. And All other brands "Suck". I spoke up an declared that I'll put my Photo's up against theirs Any Day Any Time!! A senior member of the club, who shoots Nikon, put them in their place, refering to the quality and ability of my pics!----I haven't been back!
04-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stoge Quote
I get the "You have really good equipment" statement alot from people that aren't into photography. The only real problem that I've had was at a photo club that I recently joined, where there were a couple of "Canikon Know it alls" Yapping their mouths on how their equipment is the Best. And All other brands "Suck". I spoke up an declared that I'll put my Photo's up against theirs Any Day Any Time!! A senior member of the club, who shoots Nikon, put them in their place, refering to the quality and ability of my pics!----I haven't been back!
I get that alot to where I am. I recently went to the camera shop where I was ordering some prints made. While I was waiting I was looking at all the camera in the display case and I noticed that there were no Pentax cameras. As the clerk came over I asked why they did not carry Pentax.

The clerk then lectured me on how Canon and Nikon were the best and that there was nothing else. I tried to show him my K20D in my bag and he was having none of it. He kept interrupting me and finally I just put my camera away because I knew this guy would not listen to anyone but himself. So while he is talking away the other clerk hands him the 8x10 prints I ordered and he literally just stopped talking.

I asked him if he was surprised that the photos that he was holding were taken with a pentax camera. He then just checked me out and that was the end of that story. I just don't understand on how people can be such fanboys of camera equipment. I mean I could really care less what you are shooting with as long as the photos in the end look really nice. I mean I know that canon and nikon are the big boys in the camera industry and yes they do have some very nice cameras, but just because they are the biggest doesn't mean that you have to buy from them.

04-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #20

I had been unaware of what Pentax's current offerings were, as my first digital slr was a Pentax istDs2, which I purchased several years ago. I had just about made up my mind to go Canon, when I just "happened upon" the K20D. Specs looked really good to me, as did the then-$615 price.

Local newspaper photog uses Canon equipment. My pictures, at the same events that he photographs, are invariably better than his.

I'm really happy with my el-cheapo K20D!
04-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #21
Inactive Account

you'll know when folks are knowledgeable or not.
apparently, some folks have one eye on canon and other on nikon. pity
04-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a family of ours that went out and spent a bunch of money on a 7d thinking it'd get him good photos. I had told him before that if he went with Canon, a Ti would do him just fine but he bought the 7d anyway (he had been aiming for the 5d mk2) now he wants me to come over and teach him how to use the thing. He's never taken his 7d out of auto and had the thing for a few months.

If only Pentax's marketing was that effective...(albeit more honest). *sigh*.

04-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Great shots, its tough for a pentaxian to get credit these days but hey, we wanna take the pictures, not let the camera have all the fun!
04-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I take it all in my stride now. I have come to expect the Pro Canon/Nikon comments.
And the rather put down remarks on Pentax.
However, I do believe there are those who realise the quality of Pentax but because of their Retail postion or similar, dont openly admit it.

I will speak up for Pentax at any given opportunity.
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My high ISO shots are very noisy compared to my son's Canon. But then I am about 7 (?) generations behind the current Pentaxes and he paid perhaps twice as much for his camera. Mostly my DS does what I want amd for the few times I have been in low light situation with no flash allowed and a need to shoot have been very few indeed.
I can understand a bit of pride in photographic ability, but pride in a possession? Give me a break.
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PS: My son quite likes my DS, in spite of his more expensive (and more highly sought after) gear.
04-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #27
MrM

This sounds a lot like my brother. He always annoys me about how my Pentax is not a Canon, or Nikon. Still, at the end of the day, he always loves the pictures that I take.
04-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #28

Stay proud

I have owned Pentax for as long as I can remember. My father had Pentax as well, I can't believe in this day and age that people still run the company down. The product is good, thepicture quality is good but nobody wants to acknowledge the other brands besides those other two.

Stay proud and prove that Pentax can hold their own.

Rodney
04-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodneyr Quote
I have owned Pentax for as long as I can remember. My father had Pentax as well, I can't believe in this day and age that people still run the company down. The product is good, thepicture quality is good but nobody wants to acknowledge the other brands besides those other two.

Stay proud and prove that Pentax can hold their own.
I think there is a lot of marketing inertia that needs to be overcome. People for a few decades have been thinking about Canikons and traditions tend to perpetuate themselves.

Pentax does make great cameras but they also needs some very famous, visable photographers to endorse their brand. Canikons still have the top end pro cameras that Pentax can't touch right now. Pentax also needs to compete in that market. If they don't they'll always be seen as a second tier camera despite their first rate performance.
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajtour Quote
I rather enjoy being on the "thrifty" side of things, getting more value for the dollar from companies who spend less on traditional advertising. Helps me save so that I can visit cool locations around the world and put more money into my airline tickets and train fares!
Saving money always feels good!

QuoteOriginally posted by ajtour Quote
Cheers, all. Happy shooting . . . whatever brand is emblazoned on your equipment : ).
*Looks at his camera* It says Yashica. Hmm.