Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Yet Another Pentax Slam

So, I photographed a concert in Nashville last week. The venue has a Facebook page, and their house photographer posted his shots.

Comment beneath the post:

Great photos from this show. Who's the photog? If the photog didn't use flash he/she must have a killer low noise capable Canon or Nikon camera. I'd like to know. Thanks :-)
In response, I listed my gear for the show (Pentax K20d and Rokinon 85mm 1.4, with most shots taken at ISO 1600). I also linked my show gallery posted at Flickr. Mine were considerably cleaner, by the way.

His reply?
Enjoyed your gallery, a lot of great shots. Looks like they have good stage lighting.
No, actually, they didn't have good lighting. They also had extra mic stands all over the stage blocking the view. Still, my K20D produced nearly noiseless shots at ISO 1600.

Rant over. It just bugs me when people assume you have to have a Canon or Nikon body to take decent photos in tough conditions. I might not be able to take noise-free pictures of ladybugs in a pitch dark forest at 2:00 a.m. during a new moon, but subpar stage lighting turned out just fine.

04-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
lol..you should have posted that reply to your flickr page, and then linked to the galleries taken by canikon users
04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No slam, just jealous

Hi Andie,
A few months ago one of the pro members of this forum was involved in some
sort of shoot involving food, afterward, was told, "Looks great, you must have good equipment" individuals responce was classic, "Naaah, cook just has good pots"
I took a peek at what your doin, looks like your really "cookin"... and your
"pots" are doing just fine!
04-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

That is a great response. I have been overhearing the same sort of remarks. Why does it always have to be about equipment. I took some shots for a friend of mine in a low light situation with my af360 and my ist dl. I would say it some came out pretty ok I think. I do see some limits on my particular camera but I do love Pentax

04-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since I've become a member of this forum a year ago, I've read threds like this and have gone through a whole range of emotions on it. I suspect that many of us want some validation for our choice of photographic equipment. I think that means that we react to snubs like this one the OP describes. Yet I'm not sure I / we would like being called a fanboy either. Go figure.

So the way I see it now is that I made a choice of a brand of equipment and have bought in to it. I like it when I see it being called the best (because that matches my thinking!) and get upset when it's ignored or down graded (because that means I was wrong and of course I'm not!). I'm getting over all of that now because it's really all about photography not equipment. It's been said here many times that most if not all modern DSLRs will produce excellent results and those results are much more depentent on the operator than the equipment. So to me a lot of what we discuss in all this brand wars is creature comforts and in some cases a few unique features between one or another. I see this everytime I pick up my daughter's Canon 40D, it just confuses me, it's not logical (to my Pentax thinking) and I can't use it, but it's viewfinder is much brighter than any of my Pentax bodies, and the 3 inch LCD is bigger and brighter. She seems to be able to take excellent pictures with it. Wasn't that the point.

The other part of this is that Pentax just doesn't have the market share that the canikons do. 'We just don't get no respect.' is our attitude. I suspect that the Oly and Sony crowd has there own version of this as well. So I take it now as a matter of pride when I show some good work and surprize folks that it was done with Pentax equipment, that's all my ego really needs every now and then.
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, 'coz for most Canikons, they all think that the equipment is what makes a photographer that is why most buy into that system.
That is how those equipment are advertised, since we always see most of the photographers having this huge white lenses ("L" lenses).
That is why wannabe photogs want to copy that and think that once they get a Canikon, they can be good photogs..haha.
Now, if only Pentax can copy that sort of advertising..LOL
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's ridiculous and rude, they just wanted to get back at you for having a Pentax and being a better photographer so they took a personal stab at you because they didn't like that your camera and the photographer behind it took better photos than theirs. That's just dumb too.
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I think this shows how little confidence the house photographer has in his equipment more than your skills, which are very good by the way.

Cameras are just tools to do a job, as someone mentioned, the pans make a good chef argument or Picaso must have had some awesome brushes or Jimi Hendrix must have had a really clever guitar....

I shoot regularly for some of the music press here in the UK & my Samsung GX20 does the job fine. Not once has any of my editors asked me what equipment I use, they do however have full confidence in my capabilities.

04-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I took a peek at what your doin, looks like your really "cookin"... and your
"pots" are doing just fine!
Bill, thanks so much! I appreciate the compliment, and I'm enjoying trying all sorts of new "recipes" : ).

QuoteQuote:
I suspect that the Oly and Sony crowd has there own version of this as well.
Amen! I belong to another forum where the Oly people are just as frustrated as Pentaxians. "But, but, but . . . we take good shots, too!"

The same can be said for any brand. I used a Pentax body, a Rokinon lens, PhotoScape (a free download), and Paint.NET (also a free download) to get these results. And, I drove a Subaru to the venue. All of these brands are arguably red-headed stepchildren / cult favorites, and they work in combination with my own creative vision.

Someone else could achieve similar results with a Canon body, L lens, Adobe PhotoShop, and Adobe InDesign while driving a Lexus to the venue. They'd just pay 5x more at every stage than I did.

I rather enjoy being on the "thrifty" side of things, getting more value for the dollar from companies who spend less on traditional advertising. Helps me save so that I can visit cool locations around the world and put more money into my airline tickets and train fares!

Cheers, all. Happy shooting . . . whatever brand is emblazoned on your equipment : ).
04-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Since I've become a member of this forum a year ago, I've read threds like this and have gone through a whole range of emotions on it. I suspect that many of us want some validation for our choice of photographic equipment. I think that means that we react to snubs like this one the OP describes. Yet I'm not sure I / we would like being called a fanboy either. Go figure.

So the way I see it now is that I made a choice of a brand of equipment and have bought in to it. I like it when I see it being called the best (because that matches my thinking!) and get upset when it's ignored or down graded (because that means I was wrong and of course I'm not!). I'm getting over all of that now because it's really all about photography not equipment. It's been said here many times that most if not all modern DSLRs will produce excellent results and those results are much more depentent on the operator than the equipment. So to me a lot of what we discuss in all this brand wars is creature comforts and in some cases a few unique features between one or another. I see this everytime I pick up my daughter's Canon 40D, it just confuses me, it's not logical (to my Pentax thinking) and I can't use it, but it's viewfinder is much brighter than any of my Pentax bodies, and the 3 inch LCD is bigger and brighter. She seems to be able to take excellent pictures with it. Wasn't that the point.

The other part of this is that Pentax just doesn't have the market share that the canikons do. 'We just don't get no respect.' is our attitude. I suspect that the Oly and Sony crowd has there own version of this as well. So I take it now as a matter of pride when I show some good work and surprize folks that it was done with Pentax equipment, that's all my ego really needs every now and then.
Great assessment Blackcloudbrew. I wanted to say the same thing but have never had the same ability with words as you have.
Cheers.
04-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Gosh, thanks for the complement, Naim Khan. Cheers to you all as well.

I'll chime in on ajtour's image being well done too. I had a photo to share here too with out any similar backstory. I just was really happy with the result in very very low light past midnight after a few beers!

Shot this with my K10d at (gasp) 800 ISO with my Vivitar 85 at f1.4. Yep it's soft but it worked for me. Gives me even more respect for ajtour's image.
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #12

Joy

Good shots, and just goes to show that the photographer and the lens are just as important as the camera body.

I am glad to see that with the 85mm......Oh how I wish Pentax would release a spiritual successor to the A* 85mm 1.4......I would buy, potentially whatever price it may be...
04-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, as much as I love my MF Vivitar 85mm, my new love is the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 (also MF). At that length with a 1.5 crop factor it's just 87mm and right in that distance for portrait work. Honestly, the Vivitar is a bit softer but the Nokton is a bit easier to handle. They cost about the same by the way.
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Honestly, as much as I love my MF Vivitar 85mm, my new love is the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 (also MF). At that length with a 1.5 crop factor it's just 87mm and right in that distance for portrait work. Honestly, the Vivitar is a bit softer but the Nokton is a bit easier to handle. They cost about the same by the way.
I have been really interested in the nokton, but as the price of the zeiss planar 50mm have been coming down to a decent level, it has taken my interest. made by the same cosina factory in japan, but that zeiss is gorgeous. I think I may be saving up for that.
04-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful work Andrea.
I've come across several personalities that change their facial expressions and attitudes after learning my work was done with a Pentax. Just enjoy your great results and the savings you've made with your setup.