Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

so now I'm trying HDR but.....

I set up my *istD to automatically take 3 photos. 1 regular, 1 overexposed and 1 underexposed. When I went to my PENTAX PHOTO LABORATORY 2.12 software (The one that came with my camera) I thought that it would have a way set up to automatically ADD these three together, but I couldn't find that function in the software.

HELP!

Dan

04-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really doubt that software does that. It's not really heavy duty.
04-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Luminance HDR - Download

Linux, Mac OS X, Windows - Free
04-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
I know that the GIMP can do it by adding LAYERS, but you have to know whether to ADD SUBTRACT and the amount of %, so I'm hoping that your app boriscleto will be easier.

Thanks.

Dan

04-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by techristian Quote
I know that the GIMP can do it by adding LAYERS, but you have to know whether to ADD SUBTRACT and the amount of %, so I'm hoping that your app boriscleto will be easier.

Thanks.

Dan

Using Gimp on handheld bracketed shots is like threading a needle after 8 beers with the lights off. LuminanceHDR will auto-register the shots for you and it is indeed a better option, as are the available commercial programs.
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Using Gimp on handheld bracketed shots is like threading a needle after 8 beers with the lights off. LuminanceHDR will auto-register the shots for you and it is indeed a better option, as are the available commercial programs.
Really? It does a good job on the registration?

Thanks! I gotta play with this!

I have full PS, so can it or any reason to export the file with layers intact to there?
04-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Adobe Photoshop CS2 can do it too.
You can also do it with layers.
Google HDR and you will find a wealth of info how to do it with software suggestions too!
Good luck on your endeavor!

04-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

G4 non-Intel at home, so I'm screwed. Not supported.

And only the original CS to boot.

No problem bringing the files in as layers, but that registration is a biggie.

My office computer will support it, I'm sure. But who the hell cares about the OFFICE!?
04-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You might also give Dynamic Photo HDR a try. They offer a trial version. It also auto registers the various exposures.
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

Also try enfuse and tufuse

I personally like enfuse more.
It produces much more realistically looking images (IMO) and does not require complex process.
It is available on most platforms and is command line program.
I created some scripts in Linux and "enfused" several hundreds of images. My script also aligns bracketed images so I dont have to use tripod for taking HDR images. It works really well for me.

Just now found TuFuse, same idea as enfuse, need to try it.
04-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

My office computer will support it, I'm sure. But who the hell cares about the OFFICE!?
You could try out Bracketeer. It's a gui frontend for enfuse. There is an older version which works with 10.4 on PPC. If you're still on 10.3 you're out of luck. The only thing I can find that runs on 10.3 is Photomatix Pro.

http://pangeasoft.net/pano/bracketeer/index.html
04-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

HDR images have more dynamic range capability than normal (SDR) images.
You can create HDR images by combining under and over exposed photos using software that knows how to take advantage of combining all the dynamic range. Layering is not the same.

There is a lot of software that can do that for you.

The biggest tric is to translate the HDR image to a displayable, printable SDR image again, selecting the dynamic range you want to see by manipulating tone curve etc.

HDR is not a trivial subject and the HDR photos coming from a K-7 / K-x are not true HDR in the sense that they are allready processed to JPEG using a standard dynamic range compression algorithm. The HDR image file is lost.

There is a lot to read on the subject, try HDR Photography explained, definition and realization for starters.

- Bert
04-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetClub Quote
I personally like enfuse more.
It produces much more realistically looking images (IMO) and does not require complex process.
It is available on most platforms and is command line program.
I created some scripts in Linux and "enfused" several hundreds of images. My script also aligns bracketed images so I dont have to use tripod for taking HDR images. It works really well for me.

Just now found TuFuse, same idea as enfuse, need to try it.
You probably know that Hugin uses Enfuse to blend panorama shots. I would love to try out any scripts you have written. I am currently compiling a PCLinuxOS remaster called DPE2 or the "Digital Photography Edition" and I am including bash scripts, service menus for Konqueror or Dolphin, Gimp scripts, GMIC scripts and more.

You can reach me via PM or through newmikey AT pclinuxos DOT nl
04-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

In Photoshop, an old trick I use to register elements from time to time in my day job (graphic design) is to chromatically invert (ctrl+i on pc, cmd+i on mac) the layer you're trying to register, which should be on top of the target layer you're trying to register it to. Then set the opacity of the inverted layer to 50%.

Try this first with 2 identical source layers, top one inverted to negative; the colours in the 2 layers cancel each other out, and you'll see a perfect, 50% grey image. Move the top layer a few pixels to the left and right, and you'll quickly see how easy it is to register the images in this setup.

With 2 marginally different layers, such as 2 tripod photos shot at different exposures, you won't end up with the perfectly gray composite that i described, but it'll still be far easier to register the images than by looking at the layer you're attempting to register as a transparent positive... viewing the composite with the 50% transparent negative really helps identify clear pixel-perfect alignment.

Hope this helps!
04-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You could try out Bracketeer. It's a gui frontend for enfuse. There is an older version which works with 10.4 on PPC. If you're still on 10.3 you're out of luck. The only thing I can find that runs on 10.3 is Photomatix Pro.

Bracketeer: Exposure Processing Software
Thanks--I'll try when I get home.