Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Pentax k200d batteries, please help!

I ordered my Pentax k200d in December and was very happy with it. When it came time to replace my batteries finally in January, I did. I replaced the Energizer Lithium batteries that they had originally given me with the camera with Duracell rechargeable NiMH. My camera clicked on but then did not respond. It wouldn't even recognize that I had turned it off. I tried several different types of batteries but nothing seemed to work. It's still under warranty so I sent it out "to be fixed" and it came back a few days ago with a replaced pcb. So I put the lens back on, the memory disk in, and again put batteries in that were identical to the ones originally given to me. The camera responds as the light in the lens lights up and the light on the front lights up as well. However, the LCD screen does not respond nor does the shutter respond. Once again, it doesn't even respond to being turned off unless the batteries are taken out. Please help! I don't know if it's the camera or if I'm just not using the right batteries.

04-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Kyla14!
Your rechargeables might have already died or have gone bad from not being used and recharged or reclycled with charge and discharge.
In any case rechargeable hybrids are the better choice.
Have a read of this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/92821-battery-k-x-...-take-aas.html
04-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If after using the right battery and it still doesn't respond right, then send it again for repairs and make sure that they know what they have to look for or repair.
Don't despair as it is still under warranty so even if that thing dies, they will have to repair it or replace it.
04-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Based on my own experience the K200D is very picky with batteries. Only the Energizer Lithiums work well and they are not widely available where I am. They also cost 4x more. I have resorted to buying them in bulk to avoid running out.

04-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned, see the sticky thread at the top of this forum for advice on batteries. Energizer lithiums work fine if you don't mind continuing to spend money on disposable batteries, but for most people, good "hybrid" rechargeables like Eneloops are the far more cost-effective option. Definitely don't bother with alkalines - they aren't *supposed* to work (see the manual), and indeed, they don't work very well. Again, see the sticky thread at the top of this forum, or the dozens of previous threads on the topic for more.
04-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #6

I use Eneloops in my K200d and battery grip - they work very well.
04-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
I use Eneloops in my K200d and battery grip - they work very well.
Same here.