Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Eneloop batery life...

I'm going go a family cabin in early may which is in an excellent dark sky area and want to really take advantage and take some star trail shots. I plan on using the k-x to take 25(ish) second exposures of the night sky and then stack those images later (damn you DFS!!) Anyway, I'm having a hard time deciding weather to go with some eneloops and try my luck with them lasting, or spending a lot more money and buying the AC adaptor and a portable power source. I'm not planning on sitting next the camera for the length of these exposures, so 4 eneloops would be solely powering the camera if I go that route.

Anyone have any estimates for how long this would last with the k-x? Or is it totally unreasonable?

04-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know with 25 second exposures, but I have had 2 sets of eneloops and have over 10'000 photos and they still hold a charge like new. I can usually get between 300 and 400 normal photo's(with review on rear lcd). You could get one set and do a trial run to see how long they would last with the long exposure.
04-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

an alternate to the AC adapter, pickup a package or two of energizer ultimate lithium batteries. they'll power the camera all night (and morning), and won't bat an eye when it turns chilly.
04-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Long exposures only drain the battery life a little bit faster than normal, with Eneloops you won't even notice it though. You should be fine with the conditions that you said.

04-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I recently went to a Giants game and took over 100 shots using continuous shooting (not in one click) and another 100 normal shots all within a 3 hour period and my Eneloops ever changed from green. I think that is about equivalent to what you are going to do so you should be fine with fully charged Eneloops, they are amazing batteries.
04-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
since the topic is about the eneloops, i think i might open this one up here...

i've experienced quite some problem with my eneloops today,
whenever i use an external flash i noticed my batteries on kx seems to drain faster than it used to before...

however without the external flash, battery life is quite good.

its just a bit odd since the external flash has its own dedicated power,
how is this possible?.
04-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
since the topic is about the eneloops, i think i might open this one up here...

i've experienced quite some problem with my eneloops today,
whenever i use an external flash i noticed my batteries on kx seems to drain faster than it used to before...

however without the external flash, battery life is quite good.

its just a bit odd since the external flash has its own dedicated power,
how is this possible?.
it could be just the battery status indicator on the K-x and not the actual batteries.

04-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have been very satisfied with Eneloops in my K-x. I put a charged set in shortly after I bought the camera three months ago (after I quickly depleted a set of alkalines). Last week, after hundreds of exposures, those batteries were still going. I wanted to see if the autofocus would be faster with lithiums (it was, a little) so I took the Eneloops out to try the new batts a while. That set of Eneloops still had enough power for about 70 flashes in the AF540.
04-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #9

I bought the Eneloops for my K-x even though I didn't see what the hype was all about.
Then I found out the other day.

An entire day's shooting (16GB card FULL!) of video (LIVEVIEW!) and pictures, and the Eneloops showed red at the end of the day, but never died!
Took 9ish GB of video, rest was RAW pictures, and wow, they still never died.
THESE THINGS ARE AMAZING.
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shub Quote
I bought the Eneloops for my K-x even though I didn't see what the hype was all about.
Then I found out the other day.

An entire day's shooting (16GB card FULL!) of video (LIVEVIEW!) and pictures, and the Eneloops showed red at the end of the day, but never died!
Took 9ish GB of video, rest was RAW pictures, and wow, they still never died.
THESE THINGS ARE AMAZING.
Best quality stuff in the market at the moment it seems.
04-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Shahmatt Quote
Best quality stuff in the market at the moment it seems.
sanyo also manufactures the sony version, 'CycleEnergy' I believe they are called. identical to eneloops.
04-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also a good battery charger is worth its price.

I found that after a year or so batteries would loss some of their life.

I bought a smart charger, and mine are as good as ever. Plus since each channel charge, I don't mind mixing sets of batteries so much any more, because come recharge time, each will be fully charged...
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used eneloops when I had my K100D Super and they should last a very long time for you. When I had my set I could go about 3 weeks before having the need to recharge. Your 25 second exposures will make drain times slightly faster, but it won't be that fast.
04-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just go with the Eneloops.

I now have four sets of Eneloops and each set is uniquely color-coded and I use them with a La Crosse charger. I use them in my *ist DS, AF 360 FGZ, AF 540 FGZ and starting very recently, my K-x.

Great results so far.
04-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

But I hear that there are "fake" Eneloop batteries in the market.
Just like the good Eneloops, there are some fake batteries which does not have the good characteristic (long lasting, enough power etc) of the Eneloop but the packaging is very similar to the original Eneloop.

To all members, just be careful when purchasing a new set of Eneloop batteries.