Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
media question istD

I have an istD running ver 1.00 frimware. I found the updates and read the instructions. They talk about CF cards but my camera uses the SD cards. Is the CF a typo or did some of the istD cameras use a CF (compact flash) instead of a SD card?

04-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
I have an istD running ver 1.00 frimware. I found the updates and read the instructions. They talk about CF cards but my camera uses the SD cards. Is the CF a typo or did some of the istD cameras use a CF (compact flash) instead of a SD card?
Are you sure you have the right firmware? According to the Camera database, the first camera to use an SD was the istDS. From the look of it, the istD was the only one to use the CF cards. I would check and make sure. I assume you know what camera you have?

04-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The istD is the only dslr that uses a cf card
if your camera uses SD cards it is not. An istD

chech for additional letters in the name. There were istDs DS2 DL and I think DL2 modles
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

SD Cards

My *istD is an "L" model and uses the SD cards. The easiest way to tell is to look at the Pentax tag on the bottom of the camera.

04-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
kjfishman;
Whatever model of *ist D you have, and it is clear that it is DS or DL, the formware upgrade will be worth it. Mr DS was upgraded to accommodate larger SD cards, and as a bonus I got an extra menu option for continuous atuo focus. Haven't used it much (it took me a while to realise it was there) but it is useful.
04-21-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. I didn't realize how many versions of this camera were out there until now.
04-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't think of them as versions of a single camera - they are basically different cameras: *istD, *istDS, and *istDL. There is also an *istDS2 and I think an *istDL2, but you *could* consider those just different versions of the *istDS and *istDL as they are mostly very similar. But none of those except the actual *istD should be referred to as an *istD - they are either *istDS or *istDL. You wouldn't address someone named "Frank" as "Fran", so don't call an *istDS or *istDL an *istD.

Anyhow, only the original *istD used CF cards. The rest of the models in that series all use SD cards.