Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k20d sd card slot problem

I sold my K20D on ebay. The buyer is sending it back to me. he said that he has to insert the card a few times for it to latch in. I told him to return it and i will refund his money. It still has 1 1/2 year on the warranty. I never noticed this problem when I had it. I will get a RMA from pentax and send it in. Has any one else have this problem. It will be a week before i receive it to check it out. I hope he doesn't give bad feedback. I have 100% on 397. He paid $617 and it had a 1 1/2 year warranty left. Most used cameras have no warranty and they sell for that much. I also offered to sell him a New battery grip with battery for $110 with the camera.

04-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a used K20 a few months back... no problems at all with any SD cards..
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you sure he's just not used to using those kinds of cameras? I've noticed that when someone who doesn't usually use a DSLR gets one in their hands and tries to put the SD card in, sometimes they don't put it in the right way to where it clicks, and they'll just give up and think there's something wrong with it. Can you ask him to try it again and maybe provide some detailed instructions (I know it's a pain, but it's easier than having to sell it all over again) for him to try and insert it, and then let us know what he says?
04-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hitechrr Quote
I sold my K20D on ebay. The buyer is sending it back to me. he said that he has to insert the card a few times for it to latch in. I told him to return it and i will refund his money. It still has 1 1/2 year on the warranty. I never noticed this problem when I had it. I will get a RMA from pentax and send it in. Has any one else have this problem. It will be a week before i receive it to check it out. I hope he doesn't give bad feedback. I have 100% on 397. He paid $617 and it had a 1 1/2 year warranty left. Most used cameras have no warranty and they sell for that much. I also offered to sell him a New battery grip with battery for $110 with the camera.
Sounds like BS or his card is crap. Make sure you actually get YOUR camera back and that he didn't do something to damage it. I would send it to service before refunding his money if it in fact needs it but, that's just me. There is a reason I've stopped selling on ebay and gone to the Pentax Forums Marketplace.

04-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, this is an easy one for you to check out, before you return it for service. I agree with Jeff--it sounds like BS to me. You would have noticed the problem, though a possibility exists that it started right when he started using it. Try your cards and see what you think--let us know too.
04-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I did have a problem with a A_DATA and Patiot card. The ribs on the contacts broke off. I told him to look in the slot and see if there was any blue in there. He said he did see blue in there but there was no way to get it out. I tried it with my ocz card before I shipped it and the card went fine. He is shipping it back to me on 4/19. It will take a week before I receive it. I wanted to sell it because I just bought a KX from beach camera. I was going to order a K7. Glad I held off a few days. I also has a new grip to sell. I will put them back on ebay. Looks like I will loose what I paid for shipping.
04-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hitechrr Quote
Could be his card. As far as most manufacturers go, the warranty is for the original owner.
04-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #8

I'm sure Pentax will repair the camera under warranty, if, indeed, anything's wrong with it. Sure sounds like that $615 I paid for my K20D, with the free three-year extended warranty REALLY WAS a great deal for me!

05-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I received the camera back and it has no problem with it. I update the firmware to 1.40. He took 60 shots with it. I think it was too much camera for him. I put it back on ebay a second time and it didn't sell. Item number: 280497861455. I refunded his money but didn't refund the shipping. If it did have a problem, i would have sent him the shipping also. I find myself using the K-X more.
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I work in customer service. About 25% of returned "defective" items... have no defect at all...