Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #1

HI, i need some advice regarding my K-x

Hi everyone, my name is wilson and im new to this forum and this will be my first post. will be looking to participate more in this forum and willing to help others with their problems and learn new things from fellow pentax users.
my dilemma began after a few droplets of water (a small puddle about 1cm) landed next to the mode selection dial of the k-x and have managed to seep into the mode dial. i quickly wiped all of it away within minutes and i allowed to it dry for about 20 minutes. the mode dial still works and its been 2 days now (left it out of the camera bag to dry). everything thing is working perfectly. i live in Australia (a dry country with humidity around 30% on dry days and 50% on rainy and wet days) do i have anything to worry about in the future? and also is it easy for water to get in thru the model dial and affect the electronics inside the camera?

thanks everyone =)

04-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you ever heard of silica gel?

It's those little tiny packets that you get with your shoes, your coat, backpacks, etc.

Get some of those, and put them in your camera in a sealed bag overnight, they'll dry out any extra moisture that still might be in there.

After you do that, you should be totally fine too!
04-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
i cant find them at the local camera store and probably will need to get them off ebay. however that will take about another week or so. worth it or not? is it safe to leave the battery door open overnight to allow everything to dry out inside? (the mode dial is directly underneath the battery compartment.
04-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #4

they come with your multivitamins bottles aswell .. to keep the tablets dry .. try looking into some old medicine tablets bottles

04-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
ok sure i will have a look. thanks everyone for helping out =D
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
oh and the second part of my question was, is it easy to get water inside the camera through the dials and buttons? (questioning about the construction of the k-x). i know that it is not WR like the k-7 but i was wondering how much abuse the k-x can take. =D
04-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #7

You can goto places like Coles or Woolies to buy moisure absorber. I bought one with the brand Hippo for around 10 bucks. Thats should do the trick.

04-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wilson_Kx Quote
Hi everyone, my name is wilson and im new to this forum and this will be my first post. will be looking to participate more in this forum and willing to help others with their problems and learn new things from fellow pentax users.
my dilemma began after a few droplets of water (a small puddle about 1cm) landed next to the mode selection dial of the k-x and have managed to seep into the mode dial. i quickly wiped all of it away within minutes and i allowed to it dry for about 20 minutes. the mode dial still works and its been 2 days now (left it out of the camera bag to dry). everything thing is working perfectly. i live in Australia (a dry country with humidity around 30% on dry days and 50% on rainy and wet days) do i have anything to worry about in the future? and also is it easy for water to get in thru the model dial and affect the electronics inside the camera?

thanks everyone =)
When I get some electronic stuff wet, I take out the battery and place the stuff in the sun for 1-2 hours. With a dry day and some good sun like we have in the Sunshine state, the electronic gear is dry and read to run in a couple of hours.

I have done this with my cameras, calculators, electonic digimatics, ....

Look forward to see your shots in the forum, mate ...

Last edited by hcc; 04-17-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typos
04-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #9

Shoe boxes have silica packets in them too, if you keep the boxes.
04-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
When I get some electronic stuff wet, I take out the battery and place the stuff in the sun for 1-2 hours. With a dry day and some good sun like we have in the Sunshine state, the electronic gear is dry and read to run in a couple of hour.

I hav done this with my cameras, calculators, electonic digimatics, ....

Look forward to see your shots in the forum, mate ...
thanks for the tip =) i will post my pictures on here when i have a shot that is good enough to share.
04-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your hardware stores over there, like Home Depot here, do you guys have a product called Damp Rid? They come in refillable containers of different sizes, and are used a lot on boats and any places of high humidity. They must sell the same type of thing your home improvement places.

I think the stuff is like silica, but what happens is when you put in a place with high moisture, it actually disappears and the container becomes empty.

I should get into the habit of keeping my gear in a box with a container of this in there, because it gets pretty humid where I am.
04-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

Wilson,

By now your camera is going to be dry, so the silica gel is no longer necessary. If your camera is still working, than consider yourself lucky and don't worry about it until the next time. But you should not expose the K-x to any liquids - as you noted, it's not designed for it and water can get inside the camera in lots of places.

Bob
04-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
Wilson,

By now your camera is going to be dry, so the silica gel is no longer necessary. If your camera is still working, than consider yourself lucky and don't worry about it until the next time. But you should not expose the K-x to any liquids - as you noted, it's not designed for it and water can get inside the camera in lots of places.

Bob
Yes i know and i will be more careful next time. i went out shooting yesterday and everything was working fine =). also is it necessary to carry around those silica gel in my bag to keep mositure away? (since i wont be storing it for long, using it every week)
04-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Forum Member

No, there's no need to keep silica gel bags in your camera bag - especially since you live in a relatively dry part of the world. And they could cause problems if they broke.

Bob
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
No, there's no need to keep silica gel bags in your camera bag - especially since you live in a relatively dry part of the world. And they could cause problems if they broke.

Bob
ok. thanks for the tip.