Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #1

D vs. DS viewfinder

I seem to remember that someone was complaining the DS viewfinder to be a little dimmer compared to that of the D model. Probably not on this forum, but I can not recall the exact list. Could someone, in possession of both, confirm or deny? According the technical details they are identical (pentaprism), the focusing screen might be different? I had no chance to compare them, to hold both in my hands at the same time.

I'm abut to buy either of these older models and as my eyes are not as good as used to be, so this particular detail would be also something to consider when making the decision, eg. if the D viewfinder is really brighter.

Thank you.

Sanyi

07-21-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have had a number of chances to handle both cameras, there are many differences in both of these cameras. the focus screen is different in the DS from the D but I think the view finders are the same size. both are great cameras. My preference here would be the D over the DS. Even though I have the DL (I should have waited to save the money for the D) the AF is faster in the D I think, and if you get the battery grip with the D it will help steady some longer lenses, and reduce camera shake.

Either way you get a great camera.
07-21-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They are the same

I have used both for a long time and I can confirm that they are the same in sharpness and brightness.

I have owned 3 DS units and 2 D ones, the levelling of the DS models are better but the coverage of the D models are more accurate for all of them, if you compared these aspects. Particularly, the DS finder's alignment against the CCD is slightly off for all units I have but then the levelling of the D units were slightly off then.

If you need a bright finder, the K10D's one is improved. I can't comment on the centering and levelling accuracy as I haven't checked these.

Do note also that the trade-off for a brighter finder is that you might experience overexposure issue when you used older non-A Pentax lenses for stopped down metering (owing to a newly design more transparent focusing screen):-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies (for Focusing and Metering)

Hope these help.
07-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Photo Tramp and RiceHigh, thank you for your helpful answers. So it was probably misinformation and something I will not have to worry about.

Thank you, cheers...

Sanyi

07-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by fotobox Quote
I seem to remember that someone was complaining the DS viewfinder to be a little dimmer compared to that of the D model. Probably not on this forum, but I can not recall the exact list. Could someone, in possession of both, confirm or deny? According the technical details they are identical (pentaprism), the focusing screen might be different? I had no chance to compare them, to hold both in my hands at the same time.

I'm abut to buy either of these older models and as my eyes are not as good as used to be, so this particular detail would be also something to consider when making the decision, eg. if the D viewfinder is really brighter.

Thank you.

Sanyi
If you can find a new D (cameta cameras?), then it is highly recomended over the DS. I have both, and aside from the viewfinder, the D is just so much easier for my old eyes to use (more button driven than menu driven). As for the viewfinders, they are pretty much the same. Later models with the penta mirror setup are not as bright as the penta prism (the penta prism is also used on the K10D). I have tried the split image (Chinese) screen, and it does work, but I find that it is not as bright and have since removed it. I can focus quite easily with the ist D (for some reason, MF on the ist DS does not seem as precise) with most lenses, with some of the older F and FA lenses actually being better than the DA ones.

Wayne

Wayne
07-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Wayne,

Yes, I'd prefer buying a D model but so many things are limiting the purchase (low budget, must be in Canada or delivered to without too high extra cost, tight time frame as my friend would bring it over to Europe in the last days of August, etc.). So I'd be happy with any of them, D or DS. Or DS2.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. I'm also a little bit an "old school" kind of man, and sure will use my existing MF lenses, some with a suitable adapter because of them having M42 thread back.

TU, cheers...

Sanyi