Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #1

K-7 Limited in the USA

Can you purchase a K-7 Limited in the USA if so who carries them?
Just curious

Steven

04-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Can you purchase a K-7 Limited in the USA if so who carries them?
Just curious

Steven
no. they are officially sold only in Japan. people have gotten their hands on a few in north america, but through Japanese sources. you can get one this way if you have the money, but I dont know how many of the limited pieces are left for sale.
04-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can either go through ebay, or find a friend to help get one shipped from Japan. I managed to get one from a friend on the forum but it ended up being a bit of a hassle for the person shipping, so I am reluctant to post who the individual is that helped (so he isn't inundated with requests). If you do find someone, here are a few pointers;

- Check duty charges between Japan and your country, and factor this into the cost.

- Sometimes people that live in Japan have access to a discount to the larger retailers like yodobashi.

- Make arrangements for obtaining an international warranty when you purchase the camera.

- The menus etc are fine, but understand that the manual will be in Japanese. (not an issue as you can download the PDF from Pentax)

- Regular post from Japan will refuse to ship the item (as it has a battery). If EMS won't ship then I would use Fedex (I used UPS and the packaging was mangled like the thing had been thrown down a staircase....luckily the camera is fine).

- Paypal has new regulations in Japan. As of April 1, I don't think you can wire funds to a Japanese address, so you'll have to pay (if using paypal) as payment for goods, which they will then take a cut of the cash. Check into this as it is still unclear to me.

Cheers,
Steve
04-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Steve,
I see 2 of them on ebay for 1590.00 plus 40.00 for shipping. I can use my bing.com/cashback and save 8% but I still don't know if I am way over paying for it.

Steven

04-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Thanks for the info Steve,
I see 2 of them on ebay for 1590.00 plus 40.00 for shipping. I can use my bing.com/cashback and save 8% but I still don't know if I am way over paying for it.

Steven
well compared to the regular k-7, yes. but considering the one you are after is a limited edition not available officially to you, its really difficult to say what is 'too much'. I guess you could ask those who have gotten one in PM what they paid.
04-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I assume that you're talking about the K-7 Limited in silver? I totally forgot that Pentax even released that camera, and if you can find it for that cheap then I would definitely recommend getting that one instead of just the plain old boring K-7 that most of everyone else has.
04-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I sent Steven a PM. eBay is going to be a little expensive but that stands to reason as someone is trying to make a little off the camera by reselling it. Don't forget, quite a few people paid close to that a few months ago for the standard K-7 when it first came out. As far as the K-7 Silver dropping in price, it depends how quickly the 1000 units made sell....

Mine doesn't make that funky noise when I power it on like my original black one did, but I would expect they would have refined production at the end of a model run. The glass back on the display makes a difference. I don't know if anyone else found this annoying, but I find the viewfinder is too large, even compared to my ME Super. I like the near 100%, but want it displayed where I don't have to look way up (unnaturally) to see the top edge of the shot to get everything level. The replacement screen helps with this. Other than that, it'll take pictures like any other K-7.

04-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #8

Why

Other than that wonderful silver finish, why would you want to spend twice as much for it?
04-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I sent Steven a PM. eBay is going to be a little expensive but that stands to reason as someone is trying to make a little off the camera by reselling it. Don't forget, quite a few people paid close to that a few months ago for the standard K-7 when it first came out. As far as the K-7 Silver dropping in price, it depends how quickly the 1000 units made sell....

Mine doesn't make that funky noise when I power it on like my original black one did, but I would expect they would have refined production at the end of a model run. The glass back on the display makes a difference. I don't know if anyone else found this annoying, but I find the viewfinder is too large, even compared to my ME Super. I like the near 100%, but want it displayed where I don't have to look way up (unnaturally) to see the top edge of the shot to get everything level. The replacement screen helps with this. Other than that, it'll take pictures like any other K-7.
what funky noise are you referring to? the only noise I hear is the dust removal system that I have set to run on startup. I would like that screen though.
04-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what funky noise are you referring to? the only noise I hear is the dust removal system that I have set to run on startup. I would like that screen though.
A very high pitched noise...almost like glass breaking (but very quiet). (I have DR turned off at startup). There was quite a bit of chatter about this when the K-7 first came out. Pentax stated that it was normal and I have never heard of anything to say that it was a problem. Most attributed it to noise from the SR sensor assembly when it was powered up.
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
Other than that wonderful silver finish, why would you want to spend twice as much for it?
Depends on what someone is looking for and how much they can afford. It also depends on your local market. If you can sell your existing K-7 in the local market for the cost of bringing in a K-7 Silver then you might choose to do that..... Pentax has been selling small "Limited" runs for decades. They wouldn't keep doing it if people were not interested.....
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Allow me to humbly suggest a cheaper alternative

04-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Ha Ha!...you first. So what you are saying is that there is no reason to sell a car unless it comes in black. It's a good thing they don't make models of cars that have a few small changes and name them "LX", "DX", etc. Who would buy those?
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Nubi

I think that if you really wanted one, perhaps you should post in the wanted section and state how much you are willing to pay and so on. Maybe someone will PM you. Then again, maybe not. :ugh:
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Ha Ha!...you first. So what you are saying is that there is no reason to sell a car unless it comes in black. It's a good thing they don't make models of cars that have a few small changes and name them "LX", "DX", etc. Who would buy those?
Well, of course I'm not saying that. But I am saying that if I could have a car in black for, say, 20,000, but had to pay almost 30,000 to get one in another color, it would make me think harder about what I really wanted.

The Silver K-7 is beautiful, and all else being equal I'd take it over a black one. What would I do if I REALLY wanted a silver one, but didn't want to spend the markup to get it?

You got it, same thing I'd do with the car. Rattlecan time.