Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Beyond Condensation with the K-7!

So far three condensation incidents. Went on an overnight tramp/hike yesterday with a group of thirteen, teenagers to middle agers. Had to do some wading in narrow rocky pools in a creek at the botom of the valley. Yep, and I managed to step into a hole while the camera was around my neck.
The news is that my K-7 and 18-55 WR survived being fully submerged 25-30cm (10-12 inches) underwater for about 5 seconds as I thrashed my way onto a solid foothold. Not an experience I'd care to repeat, but darn happy that Pentax's build quality is first class! My fellow trampers were impressed to say the least.
Took plenty of photos, but the icing on the cake is being able to mix in some video clips without taking a second camera. The K-7 is got it all covered as far I am concerned!

04-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good on you and well done. Your story adds to many other stories from Pentaxians about the build quality of the K-7. A truly outstanding camera, a very sturdy body, and a WR that is more than just weather resistant.

Thank you for sharing your experience...
04-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great story. Got the 18-55WR to take to the beach. Your story makes me feel less afraid of possible mishaps.
04-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, that is a great story and its good to hear that your camera made it out alright. One time I almost slipped and fell with my camera around my neck and ever since I have been extremely careful when I am out and about with my camera.

04-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm kind of curious as to how the microphone port and the speaker port (the little holes at least) on the camera are weather sealed too. Wouldn't water be able to get in through those?
04-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm kind of curious as to how the microphone port and the speaker port (the little holes at least) on the camera are weather sealed too. Wouldn't water be able to get in through those?
If a hole is small enough then the surface tension of the water itself stops it from getting in, at least until the water pressure becomes too much. That is why Pentax is careful to not specify the cameras can be immersed. It could be the case that this principle would save damage through those openings.

I am glad to hear that in this case no damage was done!
04-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Submerging the camera isn't something I would do on purpose but it is good to know it can survive an accidental one.

04-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
A confidence booster

As most of you guys have said, it is something I'd rather not put to the test again.
I must admit I have been quite sceptical of the push-fit rubber cover over the USB port etc, but there was absolutely no sign of water instrusion when I checked a few minutes later.
I am quite keen to get the telephoto WR "budget" zoom now for the kid's soccer season - which usually means plenty of standing out in the rain

04-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ps3737 Quote
As most of you guys have said, it is something I'd rather not put to the test again.
I must admit I have been quite sceptical of the push-fit rubber cover over the USB port etc, but there was absolutely no sign of water instrusion when I checked a few minutes later.
I am quite keen to get the telephoto WR "budget" zoom now for the kid's soccer season - which usually means plenty of standing out in the rain
I'm actually more skeptical of the SD card door and the lens mount. I imagine Pentax well tested this weather sealing before they used it as a marketing feature. I wonder if anyone has ever gone beyond what it will withstand.

04-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

speakers and microphones are probably mylar and this is a water proof plastic with likely rubber surrounds.... no reason why the mic would leak
04-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Also, if you're that worried about water getting into the microphone and speaker ports when you're in a wet enviroment, you could always cover the holes up with some duct tape or something similar that would temporarly seal the port to water. Just peel it off later when you need to use them.