Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #1

I may have messed up my K-x, please help

My wife bought me a Pentax K-x for my birthday. I researched this camera hoping to use my lenses that I have for my Pentax K-1000. I have a telephoto lens from Sears that I thought would work with the K-x. I didn't check to see that the mounts where the same. I attached the Sears lens to the K-x and now I can't get it off. The Sears lens fits the K-1000. Will I be able to have this repaired? Or am I out of luck? Please help!

04-16-2010, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do a forum search on Stuck Ricoh Pin. You have just learned the hard way what not to do. Yes, it is recoverable.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/97119-super-ge...ck-k100ds.html

04-17-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If it makes you feel any better, I did the exact same thing about a week after I got my Kx last year. Learned my lesson the hard way. FWIW, I was able to get it off after about an hour (eventually using "brute force").
04-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Success! I was able to (with brute force) remove the lens. I will be preforming the Ricoh pin removal procedure on this Sears lens. Since I'm new to this forum, I will be visiting this forum from now on. I didn't sleep much last night, worrying that I had destroyed my new birthday present from my wife. Thank you JeffJS for suggesting a forum search. Now I know how to remove that Ricoh pin. Thanks to all that replied to my urgent call.

Bill

04-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I didn't sleep much last night, worrying that I had destroyed my new birthday present from my wife.
The question is, did you tell her what you'd done before you fixed it or after... or not at all...

I'm glad I came here when I did because I have a few old lenses that I was going to try to use on my new Kx. I happened upon a thread about this same thing right away. My old lenses will not be allowed near my Kx...
04-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by GingeM Quote
I happened upon a thread about this same thing right away. My old lenses will not be allowed near my Kx...
Thats rather drastic action I would say. Just because Ricoh lenses require a bit of modification for use on new DSLR's doesn't mean you can't use any old lenses.
04-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My old lenses will not be allowed near my Kx...
My K10D and K100D are looking for some new friends. I will provide their address on request

Serious, just check the lens bayonet for things that sticks out and/or compare them with the kit lens. If in doubt, ask here and check the lens database on this forum.
04-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wcox Quote
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Success! I was able to (with brute force) remove the lens. I will be preforming the Ricoh pin removal procedure on this Sears lens. Since I'm new to this forum, I will be visiting this forum from now on. I didn't sleep much last night, worrying that I had destroyed my new birthday present from my wife. Thank you JeffJS for suggesting a forum search. Now I know how to remove that Ricoh pin. Thanks to all that replied to my urgent call.

Bill
Glad it worked out for you without going the feeler gauge route. Seems like that would be frustrating as hell. As you'll probably discover in reading up on it, not All lenses with the Ricoh pin are a problem. Some vivitar lenses work fine. You'll also find that some lenses have a lot more metal matter near the aperture lever and also will not mount up. When in doubt, Stop and compare.

The question is, did you tell her what you'd done before you fixed it or after... or not at all...

I'm glad I came here when I did because I have a few old lenses that I was going to try to use on my new Kx. I happened upon a thread about this same thing right away. My old lenses will not be allowed near my Kx...
Why tell her at all?? Some of these old Ricoh pin lenses are quite nice and others are doorstops. The 135mm f2.8 being in the former group. Dirt cheap if you want a 135mm with some closeup capability and keep in mind that some tinkering might be involved.

04-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wcox Quote

Bill
Actually, it is the not the Ricoh P lens (they are fine) - it is just the third party lens such as Sears brand that have the KR mount causing the trouble. The Ricoh P lens has the pin which is retractable. I have both the 50mm 1.7 and f2 P lens, they are quite nice in terms of IQ although the earlier version such as the XR Rikenon series have the metal lens body whereas the P version has more plastic.
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have two KR mount lenses, one a Sears 70-210/4, the other a Focal (K-Mart?) 135/2.8 and I've placed (and removed) both from my K20D without incident. For unrelated reasons (like, I'm culling my manual zooms) I'll try to sell the Sears zoom, while I intend to keep and use the Focal prime. But I'll perform surgery on it before mounting it again, just in case. Sort of like a lens vasectomy, eh?

I have no idea why some KR lenses are problematic and some aren't. I have no idea what manipulations of the lens might cause the pin to extrude. Has anyone here an answer to that? What makes a KR lens go rabid, get a stiffy? Is surgery the only answer? Might a prophylactic dose of SuperGlue be sufficient?
"I believe that, in one form or another, castration may be the solution."
--Percy Wyndham Lewis, The Art of Being Ruled