Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-7, Firmware 1.3, software bug??

I don't know if I can trust my K-7 anymore.
After 6000 pictures taken it failed on me today.

Today while shooting at the youngest son rowing race in Amsterdam, my K-7 decided that pressing the release button meant: doing a mirror lockup!
So, I missed a lot of nice shots!

Changing the lens, menu settings, taking out the battery, nothing helped, except putting the camera in green mode.
All other modes were infected.

Since I never use the green mode, that was a problem.
Finally doing a factory reset solved the problem, having me reconfig the camera for 20 minutes.

Did anybody experience the same problem before??
I'm on firmware 1.3. I cannot find a difference between the latest bin file on the Pentax site and the file I downloaded in february...
I thought, maybe a firmware update will help.

How can you see the 1.3.??? sub-numbering of the different files?

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 04-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
04-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

Today while shooting at the youngest son rowing race in Amsterdam, my K-7 decided the pressing the release button meant: doing a mirror lockup!

Changing the lens, menu settings, taking out the battery, nothing helped, except putting the camera in green mode.

Since I never user the green mode, that was a problem.
Finally doing a factory reset solved the problem, having me reconfig the camera for 20 minutes.

I'm on firmware 1.3. I cannot find a difference between the latest bin file on the Pentax site and the file I downloaded in february...

- Bert
Look at an unprocessed file with PhotoMe. Under manufacturer notes, it gives the full version file name.

Can't help you with the problem as I've never experienced it. Hope I don't either..

04-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It was on 1.03.00.19, I've updated it to 1.03.00.22
I hope it does not happen again....
04-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I assume that you had not accidentally knocked the camera into Mirror Lock-up mode? It's not that hard to make that mistake in the heat of things.

Mirror Lock-up is disabled in Green mode which could explain why you were able to shoot in that mode, but not in the other modes.

04-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote

Today while shooting at the youngest son rowing race in Amsterdam, my K-7 decided that pressing the release button meant: doing a mirror lockup!

Since I never use the green mode, that was a problem.

- Bert
I suspect that you have the camera set to a 2 sec delay in the drive menu (up in the Fn menu). Set it to single shot, and the camera should return to what you need to do the job.
04-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I assume that you had not accidentally knocked the camera into Mirror Lock-up mode? It's not that hard to make that mistake in the heat of things.

Mirror Lock-up is disabled in Green mode which could explain why you were able to shoot in that mode, but not in the other modes.
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I suspect that you have the camera set to a 2 sec delay in the drive menu (up in the Fn menu). Set it to single shot, and the camera should return to what you need to do the job.
Perhaps I must have accidently knocked it in Mirror Lock-up mode.
You may be right here, however, there is no way to find out.
Except for the 2 sec delay, I don't think that it was that, I should have seen that on the top display.

Thanks for the tips!

- Bert
04-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yea, I would agree that you may have bumped the camera into mirror lock up mode. I too have done it before on my K20D but since I use that mode alot I knew where to go to change it. Do you know where the option is to change the camera into this mode? If you did, did you try and change it back to the normal setting. If you did this then there might be a problem, if you didn't do this you need to read up on your camera and find where this option is.