Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My pics are yellow

I am a Pentax k100D owner and i was recently working a photo shoot and i couldnt seem to be able to fix the yellow color given off. The lights were fluorescent but the effect on my images were that of a regular light bulb... any help is appreciated.

04-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you shoot raw? If so easy fix in raw development. If not, not so easy. Apparently those lights change temp in cycles.
04-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This looks to be posted in the wrong section.

You seem to have selected the wrong white balance. Carrying a grey card and shooting in RAW will solve your problems most of the time. I have only worked under one set of lights that showed significant variation in color temperatures. Otherwise matching your white balance to the appropriate color temperature should be your solution. If you find a white or grey object in the image to sample from you should still be able to easily adjust WB in your RAW file. Otherwise you need to apply a filter to eliminate the color cast. If you do a search for "color cast" on youtube you will no doubt find many suitable solutions to your problem. I can think of 3 off the top of my head but they would be lengthy to describe when other people have already gone to the trouble.

Good luck
04-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In fact if you shoot in RAW you needn't wory at all about grey cards. Colour temperature can easily be fixed when you cook the RAW to PSD, JPG or whatever format you use.

It is not clear as to whether you are looking for help on how to prevent this problem in the future or how to fix the bad batch of photos you already have. If the latter then please indicate what software you use and someone (maybe even me) can help. It is quite possible to fix colour casts after the fact, even if you were shooting JPG.

04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Where does it look yellow? On the camera LCD? On your monitor? When printed? It could be a color calibration problem too.
04-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
In fact if you shoot in RAW you needn't wory at all about grey cards. Colour temperature can easily be fixed when you cook the RAW to PSD, JPG or whatever format you use.
So how do you measure the color temperature? Or does the software just automatically know the correct temps when you're doing your conversion?

A grey card can be used to test the color temp in lightroom or most other raw converters so you can apply the correct setting to the entire batch of photos.
04-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hello,

Cwood, you're right, the beginner's corner is perhaps the better location for this.

Thanks

04-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nass? not exactly a beginners question if i have literally done everything to try and fix it...i have attempted the WB and the whole 9 yards...i dont like to use RAW from past photo shoots......my biggest problem was with a model who had a very beautiful skin tone but using the strobes and trying to alternate lamps and slaves...and even ambient light.... the subject kept coming out super pale.... but once i uploaded them the subjected was not as pale but in 1 or 2 she was still yellow. So i did notice part of the problem was my LCD but the other pics the couple of pics that came out yellow is still a mystery...... Thanks 4 all the attempts though...i was just a little worried because i didnt want to be at an important shoot and for my camera to start actin dumb....

Last edited by perception-of-light; 04-19-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
04-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fair point - I'll can put it in the Pentax dslr forum, that might get you better help if you've done everything you can to sort it. I hope it helps.

The professional forum where you originally put it is for working professionals - with the greatest of respect, as you yourself state in this thread you're in high school which somewhat rules you out as a professional
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nass thank you very much for understanding..but with all do respect i dont think age cancels you out as a pro because 100% of my income comes from this and i am very well ahead since i started my business a wile back...i do understand the common stereotype of people my age so no harm taken...but i would just love to be taken a little bit more seriously because my company is legalized....i am actually scheduled to do an event at the quail hallow tour. to take pics of tiger woods and help tiger give 2 charity ..i also have many concerts scheduled... and i have a couple of gigs with the other companies i work with that have me doing events for our NBA team and top modeling agencies in charlotte....so when it comes to the images i have produced for them ..age wasnt really and issue....so idk to my understanding i am a professional but i can understand were every one is coming from
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

100% of my 11 year old's son's earned income comes from his paper round. That doesn't make him a professional postman .

There are plenty of photographers who frequent this Pentax DSLR subforum with decades of experience at producing professional standard photography. It's the best place for your question.
04-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I beg to disagree.

I realize that software these days are amazingly powerful, but nothing beats getting things right in the first place.

It is time consuming to fix WB in post-processing, and you need to have you computer monitor properly calibrated. Even then, it requires trained eyes. My wife is good at many things, fixing WB is not one of them. In particular, scenes with mixed lighting at times are nightmare to fix.

For important shots, a neutral gray card is always a good idea.
04-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had problems with some of my images coming out yellow in the past. When these came out Henry Ford said people could have them in any color they wanted as long as it was black.

(I couldn't help myself.)

04-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok but according to the New York Institute of Photography i am.....they do programs for excel students..so as a credit 4 graduation i was able to take the certification course...and like i said before the level of work i am doing and the events i am hired for are not those of children...you cant really compare a paper route to doing personal work for celebrities... pro athletes and the company Charlotte Scene...and Elite Visual Creations.....i dont know what it is about the general forum public but they just cant seem to get rid of this stereotype when i speak about my business...i know it may be shocking or no one may want to accept the facts..
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

perception-of-light,

I know that I'm going off-topic here, but as a parent of a 14-yr old, I'd like to offer some advice:

1. You ask a question. It doesn't matter what forum it is in, the important thing is that you get meaningful answers. Frankly, I think your question is pretty basic.

2. The more meaningful details you give, the better the answers will be. If you skip details, people will have to make assumptions. And you know how "correct" assumptions can be.

3. Learn how to write "proper" English. Unfortunately (for fortunately, depending how you look at it), you depend on it to communicate and that's how most people judge you.

4. Be humble. Be humble. Be humble.

You seem to be very smart for a high school student. Believe me, I know a bit about dealing with smart students. My 14 yr old son is done with HS, and is taking 2nd yr. college-level math and physics classes from Stanford Univ.