Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 shutter sound changed

Hi,

Today I found that shutter sound of my K-7 has changed. It sounds like it is not dumped anymore, more noisy and much like Canon's. It has about 10000 actuations.

Has anybody encountered something similar?

Except sound nothing changed, camera itself works properly, exposures seem correct.

04-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

Weird. That'd definitely get my paranoia gland going... hopefully it's a normal break-in phenomenon, and not something else. My fear would be that something's come out of alignment, and the shutter's impacting something that it shouldn't, which could cause it to 'retire' prematurely. I've only got about 4000 actuations on mine, so I can't comment about whether this is normal or not.

Still under warranty?
04-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disya2 Quote
Hi,

Today I found that shutter sound of my K-7 has changed. It sounds like it is not dumped anymore, more noisy and much like Canon's. It has about 10000 actuations.

Has anybody encountered something similar?

Except sound nothing changed, camera itself works properly, exposures seem correct.
Are you sure it is the shutter sound that has changed or is it the sound of the mirror flipping up? Either way, I am still around 4k and haven't noticed anything different. It will be a while before I reach 10k.

04-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Are you sure it is the shutter sound that has changed or is it the sound of the mirror flipping up? Either way, I am still around 4k and haven't noticed anything different. It will be a while before I reach 10k.

Note sure if it is shutter sound. In m-up mode mirror flips up with the same sound as it was before but when I press shutter second time I hear that strange louder sound again.

04-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe you have changed the lens?
Different lenses=different sound.
My K-7 have the same sound since more than 20000 releases.

Best regards,Andy
04-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Maybe you have changed the lens?
Different lenses=different sound.
My K-7 have the same sound since more than 20000 releases.

Best regards,Andy
same with me, 20,793 - no change
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would love to hear if anyone else has the same issue, since the shutter sound was one of the things I really liked about the K-7.

Like Andy says, is this a function of the lens? My K20D definitely sounds different sometimes.

Also it could be a temporary thing. My focus stopped working yesterday leaving me in a panic. But re-seating the lens brought it back.

04-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I don't want to alarm you but this would have me concerned if this was my camera. It could be a number of things, but since the camera still seems to be working I would be looking at the piece that dampens the mirror. Have you looked inside the camera to see if anything is moving around?
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Note sure if it is shutter sound. In m-up mode mirror flips up with the same sound as it was before but when I press shutter second time I hear that strange louder sound again.
As others have noted there may be something else contributing to what you are hearing. Does it happen with All lenses? If you can narrow it to one, perhaps what you are hearing is the Aperture stopping down. That would be the upside for your camera. Something else that comes to mind is perhaps some little foreign object is caught in the shutter. I assume, that you're able to take photos as normal, just with the changed shutter sound, Correct? Photos are properly exposed? No strange light traces on your photos? If you exhaust all other possibilities, I would suggest sending it for service while it is still under warranty. The shutter should last at least 100K actuation's by all accounts. At 10K it's just getting warmed up.

Good luck with it and keep us posted. Don't know how many other K7s have gone to 10,000...

04-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As others have noted there may be something else contributing to what you are hearing. Does it happen with All lenses? I assume, that you're able to take photos as normal, just with the changed shutter sound, Correct? Photos are properly exposed? No strange light traces on your photos? If you exhaust all other possibilities, I would suggest sending it for service while it is still under warranty.
I carefully inspected insides and found no foreign objects. Yes, it happens with all lenses. Except that less dampened sound everything works properly, no strange light traces. I should say that the sound is quieter and more pleasant than one from K20.

It still has a few months of warranty period but sending it for service will take two weeks at least. So I decided not to send it until notice more issues.
Thank you all for your input.
04-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I carefully inspected insides and found no foreign objects. Yes, it happens with all lenses. Except that less dampened sound everything works properly, no strange light traces. I should say that the sound is quieter and more pleasant than one from K20.
It still has a few months of warranty period but sending it for service will take two weeks at least. So I decided not to send it until notice more issues.
Thank you all for your input.
Well, Good luck with it.. If the camera is doing it's job maybe nothing is really wrong but if I were concerned about it, under warranty, I'd send it for a checkup. 2 weeks sounds cheap compared to a new camera. Keep us posted if anything changes.

04-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

hmm, mine too...sounds more "professional" now.

Jason