Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

AA battery life

I'm going to Europe soon and I don't have a charger that works there. I'm hoping to fill up a 16 and a 4GB card with RAWs and I was wondering if you folks could estimate how much battery life I could get out of the following on an *ist D or K100D (I assume they will be similar)

2 sets of eneloops
1 set of RCR-V3
1 set of CR-V3 (the bundled Panny ones, probably a few years old)

Would it be a good idea to get some lithium AAs? I've never been without a charger for so long so I'm not sure about the product lines. I saw Energizer Advanced Lithiums are cheaper than Energizer E2 lithiums (4 for $10 vs 4 for $15). Any suggestions?

04-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Assuming the Eneloops are fully charged you should get well over 1500 shots. My Eneloops fully charged give me abour 800-1000 shots and it would be a safe estimate to get another 800-1000 from the other 2 sets.

To answer your question, yes it would be a good idea to get Lithiums. The Energizer Lithiums that came with the Kx lasted me about 1200 shots.

Either of those options are more than enough to fill up the 16+4gb cards
04-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
I'm going to Europe soon and I don't have a charger that works there. I'm hoping to fill up a 16 and a 4GB card with RAWs and I was wondering if you folks could estimate how much battery life I could get out of the following on an *ist D or K100D (I assume they will be similar)

2 sets of eneloops
1 set of RCR-V3

Would it be a good idea to get some lithium AAs? I've never been without a charger for so long so I'm not sure about the product lines. I saw Energizer Advanced Lithiums are cheaper than Energizer E2 lithiums (4 for $10 vs 4 for $15). Any suggestions?
This is the first time I've ever read of someone not being able to use a charger. Not that it hasn't happened, it is just the first time I've read a post about it. Why don't you get an adapter for your charger (and other electric items you may be carrying)? That question being asked, people claim to get over 1000 photos on a single charge of Eneloops. I know my rechargeable NiMh batteries are good for over 500 in my AA grip on my K7 (I shoot RAW+).

04-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. Most of our devices are either multi-voltage (i.e. laptop ac adapter or hair dryer, camera li-ion chargers) or charge via usb (cell phones and mp3 players) and we have passive mechanical adapters. However all of my AA chargers are 120V only, so I'd need a special adapter which changes the electricity too, which I'd rather not carry and/or buy.

However it looks like from your estimates I might be OK without charging. I did take an ist DS to Africa for 4 weeks in 2005 and I recall that fresh CR-V3s pretty much carried the entire trip. I have a bunch of sketchy NiMH batteries that I could use for chimping in the hotels.

04-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Unless you don't plan on visiting any cities, you should have no problem buying cells in Europe should that become necessary.
04-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, Marc is right in saying that unless you are in the outskirts, you will not have problems getting new AA batteries.
That is what I like about Pentax, it's battery versatality.
One can get AA batteries in most cities in the whole wide world.
Cheers.
04-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't worry all larger airports have good shops that sell stuff like these:
Amazon.com: Travel Voltage Power Converter Adapter 220v/110v 110v/220v: Electronics
Get one and something like this: Uxsight: 3 Outlet Wall Tap AC Power Splitter Travel Plug Adapter : Travel Adapters, Converters

I have such items, but then for 110v->230v.

- Bert

04-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
This is the first time I've ever read of someone not being able to use a charger. Not that it hasn't happened, it is just the first time I've read a post about it. Why don't you get an adapter for your charger (and other electric items you may be carrying)? That question being asked, people claim to get over 1000 photos on a single charge of Eneloops. I know my rechargeable NiMh batteries are good for over 500 in my AA grip on my K7 (I shoot RAW+).

As I posted on another thread, I managed to take out the electricity in a floor of a hotel in Germany with a charger. Granted, the hotel probably was 500 years old. For my trip next month, I'm just taking the Lithiums. They last a long time, and an extra set weighs less than a charger. Batteries are readily available anyway, so why bring another piece of equipment?

The other thing with Eneloops is that they liked to be charged long and slow. That means you need at least one extra set along, or you must remember to put them in the charger at night.
04-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm always interested in reading reviews regarding cameras that take NORMAL batteries.

So many reviewers complain about them! Helloooo!

There's not much I don't have that I don't want... and I don't want multiple chargers and batteries.

My Canon SX1 uses AAs. My Pentax X-x uses AAs. My kids' toys use loads of AA and AAAs. I made the decision to get into Eneloops and have hundreds.

I used to manufacture battery packs for cellphones and video cameras since the late 80's.

Unless I require the smallest size possible, give me regular cells any day.
04-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Assuming the Eneloops are fully charged you should get well over 1500 shots. My Eneloops fully charged give me abour 800-1000 shots and it would be a safe estimate to get another 800-1000 from the other 2 sets.

To answer your question, yes it would be a good idea to get Lithiums. The Energizer Lithiums that came with the Kx lasted me about 1200 shots.

Either of those options are more than enough to fill up the 16+4gb cards
I agree, with fully charged eneloops you should be able to get around 1500 shots and if your careful and turn your camera off when not in use you might be able to squeeze out a little bit more. I know that when I had my K100D my eneloops would last me around 1300 shots, but I always had my camera on and I was looking at a lot of my photos as well.

That reminds me, try to limit your use of the rear LCD. That screen is a real battery drainer and if you limit how much you use it you should get a good number of shots.
04-19-2010, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As I posted on another thread, I managed to take out the electricity in a floor of a hotel in Germany with a charger. Granted, the hotel probably was 500 years old. For my trip next month, I'm just taking the Lithiums. They last a long time, and an extra set weighs less than a charger. Batteries are readily available anyway, so why bring another piece of equipment?

The other thing with Eneloops is that they liked to be charged long and slow. That means you need at least one extra set along, or you must remember to put them in the charger at night.
I can't speak on actually using chargers abroad. I just suggested he get an adapter so he wouldn't have to worry about running out of power. Typically, I prefer the proprietary batteries but since I recently purchased the grip for the K7 and several film cameras, with grips that allow me to use AA batteries, the topic has become of mild interest to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be looking at the AA threads. The debate has been had, sides have been chosen, and very little if any movement on either side. I realize that AA batteries can be bought just about anywhere. In an ideal world however, I would prefer to use what I have and not worry about finding replacements.

That said, if all of the planets align, JC comes down from heaven and tells me to do so, and the lions lay with the lambs, I may again get on an airplane and travel abroad. Until that happens, I'm happy doing my traveling in the good ole US of A, By car, where I can also charge my batteries.

04-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I can't speak on actually using chargers abroad. I just suggested he get an adapter so he wouldn't have to worry about running out of power. Typically, I prefer the proprietary batteries but since I recently purchased the grip for the K7 and several film cameras, with grips that allow me to use AA batteries, the topic has become of mild interest to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be looking at the AA threads. The debate has been had, sides have been chosen, and very little if any movement on either side. I realize that AA batteries can be bought just about anywhere. In an ideal world however, I would prefer to use what I have and not worry about finding replacements.

That said, if all of the planets align, JC comes down from heaven and tells me to do so, and the lions lay with the lambs, I may again get on an airplane and travel abroad. Until that happens, I'm happy doing my traveling in the good ole US of A, By car, where I can also charge my batteries.

The OP is going to Europe, so that's why European power came up.

If I'm traveling by car, I'd rather have the proprietary batteries, too. I've got at least a half dozen of the ones that go with the K10d and K20d. If the battery and grip for the K7 were compatible, I might have been more tempted to upgrade.
04-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The OP is going to Europe, so that's why European power came up.
Yes, I knew that which is why I suggested an adapter. He has already stated that he didn't care to buy one just to charge batteries. The rest of his Stuff is already switchable or compatible somehow.

Bon Voyage to the OP..

04-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I recommend the tiny Eneloop USB charger when traveling.
04-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote

2 sets of eneloops
1 set of RCR-V3

if you have BJ's in your neck of the woods,
BJ's has 10 AA lithiums for about $15