Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have upgraded twice with Pentax.

I started with an *istD, and found the upgrade to K10D was a big improvement. I passed on the K20D because it, to me, seemed to be too much like the K10D, although there are some features I would have liked. The biggest drawback I saw with the K20D was that it had the same metering issues as the K10D with legacy glass.

I have since then upgraded to the K7D.

What I can tell you is. The K7 metering is vastly improved over the K10D/20D and with legacy glass is almost as good as the origonal *istD.

For me, that was a big issue, both to cover legacy glass and teleconverters, where the metering on the K10D/20D has a problem.

I am quite happy with the K7 having shot with it for almost a year now.

p.s. I have kept the *istD and K10D. The *istD is one of the few cameras that supports both TTL and P-TTL flash, and this can be very useful with legacy lenses, and I have put a split image in the K10D for use as a MF dedicated body. My definition of "upgrade" does not imply trade in or dispose of my older camera

04-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Forum Member

I was curious about the reverse. Anyone disappointed by the K7 in any way after using the K20d?

From the DPReview comparison, it seems like there are no 1/2 and 1/3 EV ISO, no IR timelapse, and the use of rubber port covers and SD door. I've been reading a lot about the K7 lately and am very tempted if it weren't for my budget but I also really have grown to like the K20's looks and feel so I'm surprised that the big brother actually feels more solid.

I do really love the latch SD door and the port door as well on the K20 but am enticed by the quiet shutter, video, better overall design (UI+ergonomics), WR and just overall being Pentax's top.

Am I missing anything?
04-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
I was curious about the reverse. Anyone disappointed by the K7 in any way after using the K20d?

From the DPReview comparison, it seems like there are no 1/2 and 1/3 EV ISO, no IR timelapse, and the use of rubber port covers and SD door. I've been reading a lot about the K7 lately and am very tempted if it weren't for my budget but I also really have grown to like the K20's looks and feel so I'm surprised that the big brother actually feels more solid.

I do really love the latch SD door and the port door as well on the K20 but am enticed by the quiet shutter, video, better overall design (UI+ergonomics), WR and just overall being Pentax's top.

Am I missing anything?
Not sure about the K20 but assuming the shutter is the same as the K10D, it is the loudest DSLR I have ever heard. The K7 is ultra quiet by comparison. As for covers, I don;t find any real issue either way, but I do find the K7 seems to really hold onto the SD card. It is a little difficult to get it out .

As for 1/2 and 1/3 ISO steps, I have no idea what you are on about, K7 gives you the selection of 1/3 or 1/2 steps for all aspects ofd compensation including ISO
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
Forum Member

Really? The K20 seems fairly discrete but I haven't really handled many other cameras with the exception of my film Pentax. I guess the covers aren't a deal killer but it just seems so much more semi-pro and strange that its missing on the K7.

As I mentioned, the ISO I was comparing based on DPReviews specs so they must've left that out. Good to know K7 hasn't dropped any features. Can you also confirm that it can do time lapse via IR?

04-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
mel
Veteran Member

I went from K10 to K-7, then K10 died and I got a K20 as a 2nd cam. Image quality-wise I think it's a toss up but for shooting, I really do prefer the K-7. It's more responsive. I shoot mainly action stuff (plays, sports, performances) and the K-7 is just quicker to respond, the metering seems more accurate and the white balance is amazing. I'll put both cameras on identical settings, both with a DA* zoom at 50mm, and the K-7 will give a more accurate color rendering due to white balance (this is shooting indoors with tungsten stage lights) and better exposure. I have to tweak the K20 shots a bit more post. Once I do so however, the quality is equal and I can't tell by the images which camera they came from.
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Forum Member

I read that the reason for this was the K20 was aimed more towards people coming from film and are used to shooting/seeing the more natural (in terms of film) rendering of artificial light whereas the K7 fully embraces the digital era. It could be argued that the K7 can do everything the K20 can though. I really should stop thinking about it as it's making me want to upgrade.
04-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Not sure about the K20 but assuming the shutter is the same as the K10D, it is the loudest DSLR I have ever heard.
The K100D seems 5 times louder than the K20D. Embarrassing...

04-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Really? The K20 seems fairly discrete but I haven't really handled many other cameras with the exception of my film Pentax.
The K20D makes less noise than the K10D. I've used both side by side and there is a difference.

Now, the K7 is even better at quietness. But I'm still keeping my K20D (and buying glass instead )
04-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #24

Very happy with the K-7

I had been looking to purchase a new K-20 last fall but found that I was "late in the game". The K-7 had been out only a couple of months and I really didn't want a first of production. However the K-20's were all gone from the reliable vendors.
My fears were unfounded and my appreciation of the K-7 is great.
I also have very large hands and have to say that it fits me better than any other camera I have ever owned. It is compares in weight to my Old Yashika TL ELECTRO but not intolerable.

I desperately need a decent ultra wide angle zoom and just popped for a Sigma 10-20mm F 4.0. Now wondering if I should have bought the Tamron!

04-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I've been pondering the same move as well, although in my case I may just keep the K20D because it is such a nice and capable body.

A couple of things about the K-7 which haven't been mentioned in this thread are, better weather-proofing and of course, the ~920K pixels on the 3" LCD!
That 3 inch screen came at a cost in my opinion. If you are use to the 4 button layout on the left of the screen you'll hate (or at least I do) the layout on the K7. I much preferred the buttons where they were. That isn't a deal breaker but something to consider if going from the 10/20 to the 7,

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just curious about anyone that's had the K20D and upgraded to the K7. I've got an old *istD and looking at upgrading. I'm debating between the 2 camera's, as they both seem like nice cameras. Just looking for peoples reasons as to why they went from K20D to K7. With me, I'm not sure if spending the extra ~$500 for new is worth it or not. I know I get the factory warranty, but not sure about the other features at to if it's worth it, so looking for opinions.

Thanks
I had a practically new K20d when I bought the K7. Somebody in the eastern USA (don't remember exactly where) is now enjoying my K20d. In addition to all the other stuff mentioned, having the battery grip on the K7 makes it an absolute joy to handle. Without it, downsizing in body size cramped my hand when using the camera. Conversely, I Hated battery grip on the K10/20.

I don't really know what people are talking about when lacking experience and quoting reviews. Other than what I've mentioned above, the camera is better than the K20d. That is NOT to say that the K20d is a poor camera. It had features that the K7 lacks. A hardware SR switch, that I preferred to the menu one on the K7 (can somebody explain to me why Pentax turns off SR when using Wireless flash?). I don't like where they put the AE-L button on the K7. The K20d could do Tethered shooting, the K7 does not. The Mode dial has a locking button that you must press to change the mode, where the K20 was a simple spin of the dial (I prefer the latter). Yes, the K7 shutter is quiet but I never found the one on the K20d objectionable. Then again, on an SLR, I'm Use to a noisy shutter.

Now, IF you so desire, you can connect the K7 to an HDTV and use IT as the monitor screen for your shooting. It won't record to the computer like tethered shooting but it's the next best thing. At least you can see what you have (tethered shooting would also allow the computer to control the camera). Yes, the Video is kind of a funky feature for an SLR but it has it's upside. For short video clips of the kiddies running around in the snow, or something like that, nothing better than having an all in one.

To Continue...

It may not seem like much but the K7 has proper strap lugs instead of that funky box type on the other cameras. To me that alone was a huge improvement. The K7 has an AF assist lamp instead of the strobing flash of the K10/20. Again, HUGE improvement. The K7 has CA and Distortion correction for certain Pentax lenses. If you choose to use it, Horizon correction. I know a persistent problem of mine is slightly tilting the camera when I press the shutter. The Live View on the K7 is light years ahead of that on the K20d. The K7 has a dedicated ISO button that some find useful. I can live without it but it's nice to have if you want to change it on the fly (I actually use the front e-dial in the Auto modes for that). I think the sensor clean function worked better on the K20d than the K10d and it's again improved on the K7. The viewfinder is 100% opposed to the 93%(?) on the K20d.

Is it worth the extra coin? Still your decision but for me, it was enough better than the K20d for me to sell that camera. All it did after I bought the K7 is sit. I do think it got a little jealous so I found it a new home. I hope it's happy and feels appreciated there.

One thing that I will Not say is that I'm getting consistently better photos with the K7 over the K20d. That is still a photographer problem.

Your mileage may vary... Good luck..

04-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody and their responses. I think I've got myself 95% convinced to go for the K7, but between now and when I get my bonus, a lot could change. Wish me luck.
04-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-7 has such a quiet shutter that I have shot people barely 3 feet away and they didn't know I had tripped the shutter. The closest any DSLR has come to being Leica-like in quietness. That alone is worth the upgrade. Also the interface is quicker and much improved.
The same reason I upgraded from the K20D to the K7 was the quiet shutter as I am in a school environment and need to take pictures of students enjoying their activities. The moment the heard the shutter of the K20D, they would not look inmy direction any more and they will thus be avoiding me and not enjoying themselves.
04-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #28

What about from K10

I was wondering the same but from K10D.
I have a k100d as a second body that is starting to be not reliable.

I am quite happy with my K10D and would like a better 2nd than K100d.

Is the 'jump' from K10D higher to a K-7 or to a used k20d 'operation' wise ?

I do not need video, but low ISO with no noise would be nice.

Thanks!
04-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Althor33 Quote
I was wondering the same but from K10D.
I have a k100d as a second body that is starting to be not reliable.

I am quite happy with my K10D and would like a better 2nd than K100d.

Is the 'jump' from K10D higher to a K-7 or to a used k20d 'operation' wise ?

I do not need video, but low ISO with no noise would be nice.

Thanks!
With a few exceptions of additional features, a larger (Mpix) sensor, there is little operational difference between the K10d and the K20d. That is in the pressing of the buttons. Except from the K20d moniker you cannot tell the difference between the bodies though there Are subtle differences. What the K20d buys you over the K20d in terms of features, is the ability to adjust autofocus for 20 different lenses.

04-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I went from the K10d to the K7 last September and I absolutely love the K7. I am far from a pro but I can honestly say that having the K7 has pushed me to learn more about photography than ever before.