Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 05:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Anyone using remote d with k7

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I asked this question in a different forum and received no answers so i will try it here. Has anyone used a pentax remote D with a k7 camera? i bought the remote on ebay and it was advertised as working with the k7 but my owners manual says i should be using the remote F. my proublem is it does not seem to work all the time, i am using it with camera set to b mode and i have camera set so 1st push starts exposure and 2nd stops it, range can not be the proublem as i am very close to camera and i am also in total darkness so there are no light sources that can be interfering. Do you think that it could be the remote thats the proublem? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks Rick PS some times the red light blinks on the camera but only for a short while if at all owners manual not much help as it does not tell me much about B mode use.

04-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grouse Quote
I asked this question in a different forum and received no answers so i will try it here. Has anyone used a pentax remote D with a k7 camera? i bought the remote on ebay and it was advertised as working with the k7 but my owners manual says i should be using the remote F. my proublem is it does not seem to work all the time, i am using it with camera set to b mode and i have camera set so 1st push starts exposure and 2nd stops it, range can not be the proublem as i am very close to camera and i am also in total darkness so there are no light sources that can be interfering. Do you think that it could be the remote thats the proublem? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks Rick PS some times the red light blinks on the camera but only for a short while if at all owners manual not much help as it does not tell me much about B mode use.
This discussion has been had before. The type of shooting you are referring to is/was T mode, or Timed. It is possible with the K10/20/7 cameras but only with a wired remote. B will only hold the shutter open as long as you hold the shutter button. I am not exactly familiar with the remote D, but with the Remote F, you must hold the button and stay in range of the camera for the period you want your exposure to be. The Solution, for a K7 (or K10 or K20) is a wired remote with a Locking button. These can be had for around $5 on ebay. Similar to this..

REMOTE Shutter Release for Pentax Super/K100D/K110D NEW - eBay (item 190389869011 end time May-17-10 15:56:13 PDT)

04-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
my owners manual says in custom settings c3 item 17 on page 83 that i can set camera to start exposure with one push and end it with second push or keep it open as long as i hold the button down is this wrong? It does work for me sometimes. I dont want to have to use a wired remote as i am using the k7 in a very wet location.
04-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my owners manual says in custom settings c3 item 17 on page 83 that i can set camera to start exposure with one push and end it with second push or keep it open as long as i hold the button down is this wrong? It does work for me sometimes. I dont want to have to use a wired remote as i am using the k7 in a very wet location.
Yep, there it is. Page 86. I guess you've also read and followed the instructions on page 138. Beyond that I guess I can't help you..

Good luck

04-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
your right page 86 not 83 just ordered a new remote F hope that solves my proublem thanks again
04-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
PS some times the red light blinks on the camera but only for a short while if at all owners manual not much help as it does not tell me much about B mode use.
Maybe the camera just falls asleep? What's the timeout for the "Auto Power Off" setting (man page 270)?

hth,
Jostein

Last edited by alunfoto; 04-20-2010 at 12:42 AM.
04-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
the camera going into sleep mode might be the proublem never thought of that. Changed the setting to 30min so this weekend when i go to cave i will see if that was the cause, by than my new remote F should be here so i can test that as well. I really need these long exposures as cave is unlit and i am setting up camera on tripod and painting the formations with lite from flashlites. Thanks again for the help going digital from my canon film camera is a little steeper learning curve than i thought it would be. Rick