Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Battery grip on ebay?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I see this on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/...tem&item=120479628886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Anyone think I would be anthing other than stupid to buy this? Anyone any experience with such things when not made by Pentax?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

04-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of all the battery grips I have seen on eBay for the K10D and K20D that one is one of the better ones. If you look closely you will notice that the little pins that slide into holes in the camera body are metal, just like the original. However, one thing to remember is that this grip is not weather sealed like the original so I wouldn't go shooting in the rain with it. I also think that some members here have tried that grip and I do remember hearing good reviews on it.
04-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

I don't have first hand experience but my only guess would be build quality and possibility of shorting out your batteries and/or camera in the rare chance.

The Pentax branded grip for my K20 doesn't really feel up to par especially considering its retail price. The battery and SD cards rattle around inside, the rubber isn't as nice feeling, it really is just a plastic shell with a sheet of metal in between and even the battery tray lock doesn't feel as substantial as the camera itself.

I honestly think you're paying for the peace of mind and assurance and maybe better plastic but at that price, it's exactly what I feel a grip is worth.

There's also a linked thread at the bottom of this page about ithere
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought one myself, waiting to arrive. You can check a thread I started on photo.net about it.

Generic D-LI 90 - should I buy one? - Photo.net Pentax Forum

04-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil_Rose Quote
I see this on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/...tem&item=120479628886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Anyone think I would be anthing other than stupid to buy this? Anyone any experience with such things when not made by Pentax?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

My son bought me a Travor brand third-party battery grip for my K10D last Christmas.

So far, it has worked flawlessly. It fits my camera perfectly and all the controls work as they should. Someone on a forum somewhere recently complained that his Travor grip had a sticky or slow shutter release. I have not noticed that.

I don't know if the genuine Pentax grip is weather sealed or not, but it does not appear that the Travor is. However, it fits against the camera pretty snugly, so I don't imagine that a little rain would cause a problem. Obviously, you can't submerge it, but then you can't do that to the camera, either.

The build quality seems to be good. The plastic is as thick and as strong as I would expect it to be.

The only caveat I would have about buying one of these third-party grips is to make sure that you get one with all the controls. Mine has two thumbwheels, a shutter release, and all the other controls that the genuine Pentax grip has. There are some out there that have only the shutter release.