Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

K7 overexposing w/ Manual lenses???

I have followed the steps properly as I believe. Set the Camera to M set Aperture ring to permitted #2 and Set Green Button to TV Shift #2. Then turn on the camera and set the Focal Length. I ensure the camera is wide open, I even tried stopping it down... The shutter to moves lower like a ratio until it hits 30"???? Everytime whether Outdoors or Indoors The K7 overexposes the image considerably while using the green button. On either my Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 or my 135mm f3.5. It continually sets the shutter too low and the image is overexposed.

I thought the point of the the green button was to make this easier... I may as well set the camera manually by trial and error??? But then again I thought by buying top of the line it should be able to handle this.... Maybe I am missing something... I have read and searched the boards and find that this is common place for a K10d and even a k20d... but not on the K7???
Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks In Advance,
Jeremey Norris

Last edited by JeremeyN; 04-19-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling... :(
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is my advice.. Welcome to the forum btw...

Forget about the green button, forget about TAv Shift. Go into your custom menu and set M mode so that the Rear E dial controls the shutter speed. Set your Preview option for Optical preview (pg 129). Set your camera to M mode. Select your Aperture on the lens (we are talking about Non Auto Aperture M, K, M42 type lenses, correct?), and while looking through the viewfinder, Pull the power switch to the preview position. Your Meter will appear (get rid of that horizon level too). With your thumb, adjust the shutter speed on the rear dial until your meter is either centered, or just to the left of center (which is where I find it to be optimal). Make sure you're focused, and shoot. Alternatively, Select your shutter speed and use the aperture ring to set the exposure. Pulling the preview switch stops the lens down so you can see what you are really getting with respect to DOF and exposure. The green button does the same thing but only momentarily. It's a little cumbersome at first but once you get the hang of it, second nature. There is no need to use the DOF preview with M42 lenses because the camera does not control the aperture.

Others will disagree but that is what works, Reliably, for me.

04-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, m42 is easy, as you can use the Av mode with them...

Now, I see nothing wrong with your settings... What is the overexposure like? 1Ev, 5Ev?
04-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

My KX performs differently with my different M42 Taks, and it's the nature of the beast. In addition, Av mode SUCKS for me--have to use M.

In M mode, I get reliably consistent metering. But this might be different for a different cam.

Like I said, there IS no such thing as Av for my camera with these Taks. It totally sucks.

04-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you might have exposure compensation set to over expose. I have checked with my F1.4 50 mm and it is pretty good . Care to post an example?
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
I am an Idiot....

I want to Thank everyone and apologize for my stupidity.... The last post mentions Overexposure... of course I didn't change this that I recall.... and I took some pictures for example and just be fore loading them on my camera I checked this... I didn't see anything wrong at first I pushed the exposure button and moved left just to see..... Low an behold the notch was all the way to the right.... I feel so dumb...

Thanks for all your help....

p.s. JeffJS I think I will give your method a try... it might produce even better pics... I tried it just before posting and I couldn't get the meter to move around...but that must because I had it set to +5 or what ever the highest.

Jeremey Norris
04-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremeyN Quote
Thanks for all your help....

p.s. JeffJS I think I will give your method a try... it might produce even better pics... I tried it just before posting and I couldn't get the meter to move around...but that must because I had it set to +5 or what ever the highest.

Jeremey Norris
I don't mess around with EV compensation so it never hit me that it may be your problem. Good luck with my way. I think you'll like it, I know I do..