Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-X Functions Questions

Ok the forum is giving away K-X cameras plus the camera has gotten down in price to 490 to 600+ depending on what you purchase with the camera body. This lead me to conclude I Will be getting one of these in the next few months(buying it)! Now I have read a lot of reviews and tried to decipher the specifications till my eyes have crossed from fatigue. It leaves with a few major questions.
1.: Does the K-X have a power zoom option with the correct lens??

2.: Does K-X interface with existing power zoom lenses or maybe I should say with legacy power zoom lenses???

3.: What does this much mentioned acroynom SDM actually mean. Not just the words but what does it do for the camera???

4.: I have read that the K-X records it's movie mode in what was described as large file format of Movie JPEG. Has anyone got experience in just how much space on a memory card is used by say a 30 minute movie recording???

5.: What flash units will operate safely, not destroying the cameras electronics safely, on the K-X flash shoe. Well maybe I mean what older legacy flash units will work safely with the K-X???

6.: I currently use a great number of legacy lenses, see list below, with my K100D. What lenses does a buyer Need to get to take advantage of the K-X improvements?? And what lenses are Needed to use the video mode??

Now I have many more questions about this camera but I will stop this post that starts this thread now to keep it from getting just too, too, too long. Thank You forum

Last edited by kacansas03; 04-19-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clarity
04-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Okay, here are some answers...

3 - SDM is the Supersonic Drive Motor. This is the motor actually used in some newer lenses, and is part of the lens, not the body (in-body motor is called screw-drive). It's silent, not really faster, and was subject to some malfunctions (but these seem to have been solved).

4 - Movie length is limited by the 4Go max file size that can be handled by FAT32. With the Kx, this is about 11 mins at full quality. Yep, no 30 mins here, just 11 mins amount to 4Go! But you can grab any frame from this video and print a 4x6 without problems!

6 - Well, any lens you need ;-) Manual lenses are really sweet for the video mode (as you're anyway stuck with manual focus!). Otherwise, it's the same as the K100d (with SR added, of course!). Exposure seems quite good at all apertures, so it's quite straightforward to use old manual lenses.
04-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Points 1 & 2 :
No the K-x does not support Power Zooms. Old power zooms can not be operated with the K-x and there are no new options for power zoom either.

Pentax has gone away from the whole power zoom thing and I understand that there were not that many made.
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Points 1 & 2 :
No the K-x does not support Power Zooms. Old power zooms can not be operated with the K-x and there are no new options for power zoom either.

Pentax has gone away from the whole power zoom thing and I understand that there were not that many made.
I did not have any idea how many power zoom lenses were available in the Pentax lenses. Nor do I have any idea how many Third Party lenses may have a power zoom function. You do see this a lot on other cameras, well most P & S cameras that have a video recording function available, and even on some of the more expensive cameras. I read a review of the K-x in which the much talked about Panasonic GH1 camera scored much, much lower on many of the tested functions than the K-x. I was kinda pleased by that for it is one more nail in the coffin of convincing my wife that a K-x is the better purchase.

04-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

5. Whatever works OK with your K100D should work with the K-x, although maybe not with all the bells and whistles (wireless remote flash, focus assist beam etc etc). Just be cautious with older pre-digital flashes from any manufacturer though. If in doubt ask in the accessories area of this forum where some of the flash gurus will be able to tell you more.

While you are waiting for the camera, it may be worth browsing the K-x manual (8MB):

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
5. Whatever works OK with your K100D should work with the K-x, although maybe not with all the bells and whistles (wireless remote flash, focus assist beam etc etc). Just be cautious with older pre-digital flashes from any manufacturer though. If in doubt ask in the accessories area of this forum where some of the flash gurus will be able to tell you more.

While you are waiting for the camera, it may be worth browsing the K-x manual (8MB):

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf
Thank You for the referral. I hope I get more responses to all my questions. Ok well I didn't post all my questions but responses to all the questions I posted so far. There that is more accurate.
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Thank You for the referral. I hope I get more responses to all my questions. Ok well I didn't post all my questions but responses to all the questions I posted so far. There that is more accurate.
You can dowload the manual for free to find out about movie mode. There's also a separate movie forum here.

But is there anything about the replies here that are inaccurate, as you describe?

It takes a lot of time to explain all of the specifications.
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You can dowload the manual for free to find out about movie mode. There's also a separate movie forum here.

But is there anything about the replies here that are inaccurate, as you describe?

It takes a lot of time to explain all of the specifications.
I was referring to what I had written. The first statements were not too clear so I tried to fix them and be more accurate. I have seen nothing but good information in answer to my questions.

04-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Power zoom

I really wish the K-x did support power zoom lenses. Yes I know they have problems but I like using them when trying to shoot a short video. It is what I use on my P&S that has video function so it would be familiar.
04-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Silver body

Did Pentax make the K-x with a silver, dark or light, with brown or maybe black grip?????? I think I say a picture on the forum somewhere of just that color of one of the Pentax bodies. Anyone????
04-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I really wish the K-x did support power zoom lenses. Yes I know they have problems but I like using them when trying to shoot a short video.
Seems backwards to me. Whatever limited use there is for power zoom - a much slower and more awkward way of zooming than turning a ring - video would seem to be the *least* useful, as the camera would pick up the sound of the zoom motor. And do you even have any power zoom lenses? They are relatively uncommon, and most aren't very good, either.
04-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Seems backwards to me. Whatever limited use there is for power zoom - a much slower and more awkward way of zooming than turning a ring - video would seem to be the *least* useful, as the camera would pick up the sound of the zoom motor. And do you even have any power zoom lenses? They are relatively uncommon, and most aren't very good, either.
Oh, I don't any and probably will not either. I was just expressing my interest and the reason for the interest. I now understand that the lenses do not operate in the manner I thought. You know a lot more about the issue than I do.
02-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
New K-x, folder names

Took me 10 -11 months but I now own a K-x. I like everything about it and am in the learning curve for the settings. I have set the folder to have the Date in it which works. But the camera insists on putting a 100,101,102 in front of that date and I find that a problem. I store images on my computer by camera and year and month. I frequently clean out the 2 Gig SD card I am using of the Raw images which means that the camera then starts over at folder 100-mmdd with no year. Is it possible to change this?? I want to change it to a date format with no folder prefix number in front but does anyone know how to change this??? I am doing it manually now each time I move images to the computer. Help!?!?!??
Alan W.
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Changing folder names?

I know I post in this the is same question but I thought I should put a new title on the post but didn't know how to change the old one so here is a new post. I ask that you read my recent post below this one to see what I am trying to do with the folder names.
Thank You,
Alan W.