Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The K7 is 2-2.5 times as expensive as the Kx (at least over here). That is a very heavy price difference to pay just to get a wired remote control functionality (if that's the only thing you need).
Yes, it's tough, but that's how economy works. This is what happens when there are just a few people wanting a feature - it becomes a "luxury" feature. Otherwise, the larger segment of the market that doesn't need a cable release port would have to pay a bit more on their cameras just so that a smaller segment can get access to it. Cutting that feature off makes more people happy due to the price reduction than it makes people unhappy due to its lack. The only way to fight back is to increase awareness about the benefits of a cable release, so that more customers want it. So, what exactly are those benefits?

11-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #32

Cable release has many uses

There are many situations in which a cable release is superior to the front-located IR remote of the k-x. Examples: (1) camera needs to be at the edge of a cliff or tall building, where it's impossible for the user to be in front of it. (2) camera needs to be atop a rock or other location above the user, and the cable hangs down and allows the camera to be operated, (3) user needs to be hidden from wildlife subjects (birds or animals); camera can be exposed but user needs to be concealed.

Any outdoor photographer could probably come up with more reasons to want cable. Again, if the k-x sensor were anywhere but on the front of the camera, the IR would be far more practical. The real question is, why on earth is it located there, unless it's for users to take pictures of themselves. This excludes a vast number of other uses.

This location issue can be overcome, I hope, with a small bicyclists' mirror, attached to the tripod and pointing at the sensor.
05-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #33
Inactive Account

I have the wireless remote for the K-x and love it, but it limits you to shooting to the front. Is there a remote cable release out there? If so, where do you connect it?
I'd love to be able to shoot from behind the camera, but have gone over the manual a few times and had no luck. Anyone else?
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was simple enough to put a remote cable socket on the K100D. A standard 2.5mm jack socket made it so easy to make up your own cables and add intervalometers, wireless triggers and anything you would like to solder together. The K100D was an entry level camera.

But this prevented manufacturers selling expensive accessories. Call me cynical if you like.

05-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A bit pricey, but it has an IR cable and adds interval shooting.

Pclix XT | Intervalometer | Time-Lapse Triggering | Canon 5D Recording | Video Camera Triggering
05-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emily Quote
I have the wireless remote for the K-x and love it, but it limits you to shooting to the front. Is there a remote cable release out there? If so, where do you connect it?
I'd love to be able to shoot from behind the camera, but have gone over the manual a few times and had no luck. Anyone else?
No cable release option on K-x and K-r. It was said earlier in the thread if I'm not mistaken.
05-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You can take INCREDIBLY high ISO shots with no flash and the results can be fantastic. And, shooting without the distractions of a flash
Yeah, but how do you get the aunts and uncles to blink during exposure so the pix are consistant with other family photos?
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Oh I can't resist this one - - -
K200D was labeled as an "entry level camera".
K200D has remote cable capability which I have used many times.
(OK, OK, the high ISO capabilities are superior on the newer models.
All depends on what you shoot and how you shoot.)

05-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emily Quote
I'd love to be able to shoot from behind the camera,
Use something that reflects the signal back onto the front of the camera perhaps, like a mirror or something else reasonably reflective? Or use one of those IR extenders you can get for boosting/re-transmitting TV remote control signals from room to room? Etc. I suspect there may also be other options that others in this forum have explored over the years that could be worth a search here.

Only the K-5 (and K-7?) have an IR receiver on the front AND the back of the camera. That is a cool feature.