Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And to be further clear, it *does* have remote capability. You just need to buy the remote. just like every other DSLR on the market.

04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think anybody has mentioned it but as far as I know

1)
The Kx does not support a cable release
2)
The IR remote only works from the front of the camera and not from the rear. You need to apply some tricks to get that working (basically a mirror type thing in front of the camera).

With regards to the Minolta: if it uses a mechanical cable release: you can still buy those.
04-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
1)
The Kx does not support a cable release
2)
The IR remote only works from the front of the camera and not from the rear.
That's really a big minus in my book.
A cable release connector is a must IMO.
04-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

For what its worth, in the KX on bulb mode can be set with 2 options (in menu this can be changed)
1.Press and hold the shutter and release button to close shutter.
2. Press button once to open shutter, then press button again to close shutter.

Infrared remote and option 2 will be the best setting if you plan on using bulb mode.

04-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
That's really a big minus in my book.
A cable release connector is a must IMO.
In a pro body, yes. The lack of this is one of the things that classifies the K-x as an entry level camera. Realistically, very few people in the target market for this camera would be likely to care, but sure, some small of percentage of people who rely on that feature would need to step up to the next level to get it.
04-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Even the simplest K1000 was able to be used with a cable release.
Why is this now a "pro" feature?
04-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Because one out of 100,000 users would use a cable remote nowadays anyway, especially with the self-timer function, which will deactivate shake reduction when used on a tripod, which is what you're supposed to do, and wireless remote.

Plus, even in the pro level of 35mm film use, using the self timer is far superior shake-wise compared to using a mechanical release.

It's 2010, these are improvements to design, function, engineering and cost for the vast majority of users.

04-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

+1 to what TOUGEFC stated.
With the new option available to the K-x there is no need to have a cable release as any remote now serves the same function.
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
Banned

Because that's the only way you could remote activate its shutter - it didn't support an IR remote.

Because it's a legacy feature. It's much more convenient to carry a small IR remote instead, and most people don't care about such features anyway. There are more people using cameras today than during the film era and the people that need a remote shutter release form a much smaller market segment than during the film era. So you have to pay more to get a feature that is used by less people.
04-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #25

I want one that will PLUG INTO my *istD .

Dan
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Plus, even in the pro level of 35mm film use, using the self timer is far superior shake-wise compared to using a mechanical release.
Self timers don't work instantly, so there are a numnber of situations where they might be a disadvantage.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Because it's a legacy feature. It's much more convenient to carry a small IR remote instead, and most people don't care about such features anyway. There are more people using cameras today than during the film era and the people that need a remote shutter release form a much smaller market segment than during the film era. So you have to pay more to get a feature that is used by less people.
The K7 is 2-2.5 times as expensive as the Kx (at least over here). That is a very heavy price difference to pay just to get a wired remote control functionality (if that's the only thing you need).
04-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #27

Original Poster
What I need to do is go to a modern studio and watch them take pictures. I need to see if they use a remote, sit a the body, or use a cable release. I can't remember. It's been a few years since I had a family picture.

Long ago I worked at a K-Mart studio. Yes, the one where you got a bunch of pictures for $14.95. When I was there you had a cable release and would move to the side, tickling babies noses with a feather duster, waiting for a smile and then jump out of the way to take the picture.

Now that I have my own family I thought I would have to do the same thing to get a picture. I thought that if I sat at the body like normal, with a tripod, that it would be hard to get that same kind of picture. I'm probably wrong and just stuck on an old idea.
04-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

You can pull funny faces. That's what my parents used to do
04-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
What I need to do is go to a modern studio and watch them take pictures. I need to see if they use a remote, sit a the body, or use a cable release. I can't remember. It's been a few years since I had a family picture.
I'm sure it will vary by the photographer. I suspect most would use a wireless remote, though.

QuoteQuote:
Long ago I worked at a K-Mart studio. Yes, the one where you got a bunch of pictures for $14.95. When I was there you had a cable release and would move to the side, tickling babies noses with a feather duster, waiting for a smile and then jump out of the way to take the picture.
And since you would presumably be doing this all in front of the camera, not behind it, then there is really no particular downside to the wireless remote.
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Even the Model T had a crank you could use to start the car. Doesn't mean I pine for one now.