Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Does the Pentax K-X have a cable release or remote?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I am thinking of getting the Pentax K-x but I am not sure how to take a picture "remotely." By that I just mean me not having to press the button but use a cable release instead. I can't find any information on it? How do I take a picture this way?

Thank you.

04-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
use the self timer or infrared remote
04-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remote triggering at regular intervals.

Pricey

Pclix LT Introduction

Less pricey

gentLED Camera Remote Control: Options
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a smart phone with infrared, there are some apps you can use to control the K-x

04-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
So it doesn't come with anything? Wow. It seems strange that a quality camera like this would be missing this. I may have to pass now.
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
So it doesn't come with anything? Wow. It seems strange that a quality camera like this would be missing this. I may have to pass now.
It's just 500 bucks with the capacity to add this on later. If they put that capacity into every camera out of the box, it would add cost to every camera for people who don't care about it in the first place.

Exactly what kind of shooting do you have in mind? Maybe there's a better way to do what you want to do than you're currently aware of.

Can you explain exactly?

I haven't heard of most people using a manual cable release for a long time.
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It's just 500 bucks with the capacity to add this on later. If they put that capacity into every camera out of the box, it would add cost to every camera for people who don't care about it in the first place.

Exactly what kind of shooting do you have in mind? Maybe there's a better way to do what you want to do than you're currently aware of.

Can you explain exactly?
Right now I have a Minolta 8000i. I always regretted not getting the cable release for family photos and portraits. I just like the ability to jump to the side and get folks to pose instead of at the lens. It was a while back when I was used to making babies smile from the side of the view.

Maybe I am making more of it than I should.

What do you mean capacity to add on later?

I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360199965340#ht_1707wt_1165 Is this what I want for my application?

04-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remote Control F

PENTAX Remote Control F - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

I bought mine in the marketplace here for $10.
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Remote Control F

PENTAX Remote Control F - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

I bought mine in the marketplace here for $10.
Thanks. Do you know if it is "instant" or do I have to hold down the button?
04-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

I mean the remote infrared capacity.

If you're saying that you want to set the camera on a tripod, go off to the side, and use a mechanical cable to hit the shutter while they're looking at you off to the side instead of looking into the camera, well, that's not really the norm.

I don't think that particular type of shot should determine the camera you buy.

Just trying to be helpful, but did you know that in most indoor situations, the KX's high ISO handling has made the need for flash kind of obsolete?

This is a real biggie when it comes this camera, and I'm not BS'ing or over-exaggerating it at all. You can take INCREDIBLY high ISO shots with no flash and the results can be fantastic. And, shooting without the distractions of a flash for your subjects allows you to do things otherwise unthinkable.

More important than a cable release.
04-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that most cameras don't come with a remote. But since they are so cheap it's not really a problem. Just get some cheapie Chinese make of IR remote and it will work fine. Is five bucks delivered to your door good enough? If so, try DealExtreme.

IMO this would be an awfully strange reason not to buy a camera!

EDIT: Sorry, that link is to a tethered remote. This is the IR remote. Only four bucks!
04-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The shutter can be released from a distance by using the optional remote control unit. You can select from the following two settings for remote control shooting.

Remote Control - The shutter will be released immediately after the shutter release button on the remote control unit is pressed.

Remote Control (3s delay) - The shutter is released about 3 seconds after the shutter release button on the remote control unit is pressed.
Page 134 of the manual

http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63399407595779261272600manual_k-x_en_official.pdf

You still have to press the shutter half way to focus unless you just set it to infinity and hope for the best.
04-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I mean the remote infrared capacity.

If you're saying that you want to set the camera on a tripod, go off to the side, and use a mechanical cable to hit the shutter while they're looking at you off to the side instead of looking into the camera, well, that's not really the norm.

I don't think that particular type of shot should determine the camera you buy.

Just trying to be helpful, but did you know that in most indoor situations, the KX's high ISO handling has made the need for flash kind of obsolete?

This is a real biggie when it comes this camera, and I'm not BS'ing or over-exaggerating it at all. You can take INCREDIBLY high ISO shots with no flash and the results can be fantastic. And, shooting without the distractions of a flash for your subjects allows you to do things otherwise unthinkable.

More important than a cable release.

Do you know of any articles on this I could read to learn about this?
04-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Right now I have a Minolta 8000i. I always regretted not getting the cable release for family photos and portraits.
You mean to tell me, it didn't come with a remote?
I bet you that camera was expensive too yet it didn't come with a remote!?

..but seriously, I think i haven't encountered SLRs or DSLRs that come with a remote but I do know some P&S do come with one...at times.
04-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
You mean to tell me, it didn't come with a remote?
I bet you that camera was expensive too yet it didn't come with a remote!?

..but seriously, I think i haven't encountered SLRs or DSLRs that come with a remote but I do know some P&S do come with one...at times.
my question was more about the incapability of a remote not the lack of one in the box. I should have been clearer.