Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #1

Does the Pentax K-x shoot quickly or pause?

The only digital camera I have owned are point and shoots. They almost always pause before they shoot. Are DSLR cameras, in particular the K-x, like this too? Thanks.

04-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
The only digital camera I have owned are point and shoots. They almost always pause before they shoot. Are DSLR cameras, in particular the K-x, like this too? Thanks.
no. when you press the shutter, it takes the picture instantly. And you can hold it down and shoot more than 5 per second in full resolution
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

the kx has a very low shutter lag. once it's in focus, it fires away.
4.7 fps in AFS (assuming a fast enough shutter)
04-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-x is very quick (unless you're trying to focus in live view mode.)

04-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Autofocus and Shake Reduction (SR) can delay the picture for a half-second or so.

If the camera is in AF-S mode, it won't take the picture until focus has been achieved. This can take a little time. SR won't prevent you from taking the picture, but if you don't wait for the little green hand to appear in the viewfinder, you won't get the benefit of SR.

Still, the delay is nothing like that on many P & S cameras. Plus, both AF and SR can be turned off, in which case the exposure truly is instantaneous.
04-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The pause you are referirng to is usually the time it takes to focus. P&S cameras are usually much slower than DSLR's, but the only way to completely eliminate any delay is to prefocus - half press the shutter and hold. And this works just as well with P&S cameras as DSLR's.
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #7

I think what justtakingpics was talking about is shutter lag that the p&s cameras have or at least all the ones I have had have. I can have it prefocused and when I press the shutter button there is a short time before the shutter clicks. On a still shot this was never a problem but on something moving you had to learn to press the shutter button a split second before I really wanted to take the shot.

Now with my K-x when it is prefocused and I press the shutter button it is like instant, no shutter lag