Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-X shows more noise when shooting RAW than JPG???

I saw some comparisons online (dpreview) and the k-x showed more noise when the photos were shot in RAW than in JPG. Is this true?

04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Can you post the link to the article? I'm currently looking for it, but can't seem to find it. Maybe i'm blind?
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's because RAW images have no noise reduction applied to them unlike the JPEG images. When the camera processes a JPEG image it applies it's own noise reduction to it, but both formats start out exactly the same way, JPEG is just what your camera makes out of the RAW file that it processes. RAW photos have absolutely nothing done to them, it's exactly what your camera records when it takes the photo and processes it, hence why there is visible noise when you see a RAW photo before you process it yourself and use noise reduction with something like Noise Ninja or one of the programs that does that on your photos.
04-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Okay i found the article. That is definitely interesting. I'm very puzzled. i'll have to try some tests myself. I've been taking RAW all along and it might not even be a good idea?! I'll let you know if i find any problems.

04-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spideralex90 Quote
Okay i found the article. That is definitely interesting. I'm very puzzled. i'll have to try some tests myself. I've been taking RAW all along and it might not even be a good idea?! I'll let you know if i find any problems.
Did you read my post by any chance? I explained why RAW and JPEG have differences in noise levels, and DPreview is just playing off of that to put the K-x down and promote Canon and Nikon cameras instead.
04-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Did you read my post by any chance? I explained why RAW and JPEG have differences in noise levels, and DPreview is just playing off of that to put the K-x down and promote Canon and Nikon cameras instead.

I'm guessing he ignored it completely...maybe he just didn't see it....or maybe he is trying to get some type of acknowledgement? Who knows...but jct is correct. RAW is exactly what you shoot and nothing else.
04-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Forum Member

I did some unscientific tests just now, and yes dpreview results are accurate.

but thanks to jct us101, i now understand. Thanks for the info, i'll keep shooting raw.
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The thread didn't refresh or something. But i saw it after snapping a few pics.

04-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks. So for example, I just sold my K2000 I used to shoot an engagement party and I shot at ISO 560 (in RAW) and there was noise. I applied noise reduction in lightroom and it made the pictures a little softer. If I shot the same engagement party with my k-x at the same settings I would retain more detail after I applied noise reduction in lightroom (and wouldn't have to apply as much since there isn't as much noise)?
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Thanks. So for example, I just sold my K2000 I used to shoot an engagement party and I shot at ISO 560 (in RAW) and there was noise. I applied noise reduction in lightroom and it made the pictures a little softer. If I shot the same engagement party with my k-x at the same settings I would retain more detail after I applied noise reduction in lightroom (and wouldn't have to apply as much since there isn't as much noise)?
There shouldn't really be any noise at ISO 560 if you took the photo correctly (in terms of exposure), so I don't know what you're doing there, and Lightroom shouldn't make the photos softer after you apply noise reduction unless you do drastic amounts (keep messing with the slider). If you shoot RAW no matter what you're going to get more noise, but on the K-x you won't notice it until about ISO 1600 or so.
04-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

First off, your camera ONLY shoots RAW. When you select JPG, the camera takes the RAW data and pipes it into its on-board JPG processor to generate the JPG "image" to save to the card.

When you shoot RAW, the RAW "data" goes directly to the card and is not an image.

To generate an image, you use a RAW processor (software on your PC) which turns the data into a viewable image, much like the camera's JPG processor. The difference is that YOU have complete control over the image generation process. You can change the white balance, adjust the contrast/brightness/black point/etc....

So you can leave these decisions up to the camera's little processor (and hope it makes the right decisions since they are irreversible), or save the decisions for later where YOU have complete control over it.

Noise reduction is also a "step" in the process of generating an image, so when you shoot raw, you need to apply NR during your processing. When you chose the in-camera conversion, the camera's JPG engine applies NR for you.
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There would a tiny bit of noise at ISO 560 (indeed, there always is even at ISO 100), but it wouldn't normally be very visible or objectionable at anything other than 100% view (which is to say, a large poster-sized print) unless you really seriously underexposed and pushed it in PP. Noise reduction will reduce the noise, but indeed at the expense of some detail. It usually takes some practice to find a balance that suits you. At ISO 560, there's basically no way you'd be able to tell the difference between *any* DSLR's.