Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
Forum Member

Rather than start my own thread...I'll update this one for the benefit of anyone following the OP's issues.

My own experience:

As stated above, I had a dead screen too, sent it in to C.R.I.S. (Pentax Warranty) on 4/13/10.

Firmware: 1.01.00.07
Shutter Count: 2989

Just got it back 4/26/10, not a bad turn around time. No issue there.

Being the compulsive info nut I am, I checked the EXIF data with PhotoME of a quick wall shot when I opened the box. Sure enough...the serial number on the body matches what I sent in, but the rest doesn't.

Firmware: 1.00.00.01
Shutter Count: 571

According to the C.R.I.S. work order sheet I received and Stacy confirmed, the work done was:

"Repaired Main PCB/FPC"
"Cleaned and Checked to Manufacturer's Specifications"

Called Pentax support (303)-799-8000 and spoke with David, I've been dealing with him since the beginning, good guy. But...he didn't have any answer as to why the firmware would go BACKWARD (shutter count too).

Called C.R.I.S. support (877)-269-7179 and spoke with Stacy, again very polite and helpful, but she too couldn't explain the dilema. She's going to have a "tech" call me/email me when they are in the shop next.

In the mean time, does anyone else have any clue as to why this would happen? It says "REPAIRED" and not REPLACED. I would expect all the info to be completely reset when a full replacement occurs, but I'd assume the "repair" wasn't much more than a solder job, not software related. I'm puzzled.

EDIT: I just updated the Firmware to 1.01.00.10 from the japan site and it's working just fine. It's just puzzling why the shutter count & firmware would reset like that. It's like taking your 1983 Pontiac car in to replace the muffler and suddenly it has zero miles on it. lol

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 04-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
Forum Member

Okey dokey

Stacy just called back and said they in fact did REPLACE the board inside the camera with a new one, thus the complete reset of everything. That makes sense now.

Another cool thing, she apologized for the confusion and also apologized for not updating the firmware while they had it and even offered to send a 2nd day shipping label so I could send it back and they would update it for me, no charge on shipping either way.

I thought that was very cool of them to offer that to me, even though the update process is only 90 seconds lol. I'm very pleased with C.R.I.S. and their quick customer service.

Good luck to the OP, I hope yours turns out as well as mine did!
04-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the experience. It is useful to learn from both good and bad experiences, and your good experience is useful.
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Still waiting..

Hi Jason
Thanks for posting the update and I'm glad everything is sorted with your camera. Think mine is going to be a few more days but looking forward to camera being fixed and getting on with taking photos, now feeling a bit more positive about the whole experience.
Cheers
Moses

05-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Finally have my Pentax K-x back!

Hi Everyone, just want to share the final update to my screen not working.
Like FattyMcj they fixed my PCB, they also updated my firmware which was nice. It did take a rather lengthy 2.5 weeks but I'm just happy to have my new Pentax K-x finally working and I'm loving it.
Possibly the procedure is slower here in the UK but nevertheless it is a job well done with no hassle apart from the long wait.
Well done Pentax.
I'm off to take more photos and try out my new (old) 50mm F1.7 prime lens.
Cheers
Moses---in Belfast--Northern Ireland.
05-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
Forum Member

Glad to hear it all worked out Mr. Moses!