Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Which Flashgun ? Pentax 540 AF FGZ vs Samsung SEF-54PZF vs Pentax AF 360 FGZ

I'm trying to figure out which of these models might best suit my needs. If I understand correctly, the Pentax 540 AF FGZ and Samsung 54PZF models appear to be identical in all but brand-name ? Does the 54PZF work correctly with the K10D or are there potential pitfalls ? The Samsung is presently difficult to obtain at a reasonable price (amazon quote 181.44, but a longish 4-6 weeks delivery) and I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum about certain unresolved issues with the 540 AF FGZ although I'm not entirely clear what the problem is ? Has anybody bought the AF 360 FGZ (currently 134.95 from Purely Gadgets) and if so are they fully satisfied/not satisfied with it ? Does the AF 360 FGZ have the same issues as the Pentax 540 AF FGZ ? Your invaluable expertise would be most welcome on the subject........

07-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

AF540 - A lot of people have severe underexposure problems when the AF540 is paired with a K10D. Some people have had it work OK, I've seen a total of one person with an overexposure complaint.

Samsung unit - Probably exactly the same as the AF540 but I can't be sure. There is a significant chance it is lacking in terms of warranty coverage, if I recall correctly Pentax and Samsung have a deal that their products won't be marketed where the other company sells a given product. (which is why no Samsung DSLRs are marketed in the U.S. domestic market) If you're able to buy a Samsung DSLR or accessory in a market served by Pentax, it is likely a grey market item.

I have not heard anything bad about the 360 in terms of performance, but lots of people hate the battery door.

I've heard very mixed things about the Sigma EF-500, although it seems that for MOST people it performs more consistently than the AF540.

I'll likely be sending my AF540 to Pentax service for repair within the next week or so. Before doing so, I'm planning on ordering one of the Vivitar 285HV-based "Strobist kits" from MPEX here in the U.S. - even if I keep the 540, $90 for a second high-power flash is a pretty good deal for multi-light setups, and doing a few side-by-side comparison shots of the performance of each.
07-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Only having the AG 360 FGZ I can agree that the battery door has issues.... Mine has not broken yet (Being careful)

I suggest the hold shut is not holding correctly - had a quick look and believe that a nail file in the right area may fix ..... Not sure whether I return or fix......?

Performance is very good - would recommend
(I would give a higher recommendation if the $ were better - value for money about 70% IMO)
07-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have AF360FGZ on *Ist DS and flash cable. The only problem I've experienced so far is under exposure of reflective surfaces (bikes with lots of chrome, pots...)
The only thing I miss is swivel. When I upgrade to K10D or something else I'll get AF540FGZ.