Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

[flash]prob stupid question but....

I have a pentax k-x and if i use any preset mode the flash is just wayyyy too bright .....is that just a shitty thin bout the presets with this camera??

04-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yep, direct light from the flash is going to be far too harsh on any setting because it's just way too direct and bright. If you make or buy a flash diffuser you will notice a huge difference, look up a few tutorials on how you can do this.
04-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
i totally forgot i have a diffuser that i bought along time ago for my canon rebel xl that i never used

its the Gary Fong Puffer POP Up Flash Diffuser

this what you are talking about?

04-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
pop-up flashes suck in general. It's well worth it to get a shoe-mount flash once you can afford it. Also, try and get one that has wireless control built in. If I'm not mistaken the KX has infrared wireless flash control. I know my k200d controls my Metz 48 wirelessly very well.

04-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you can also dial down the exposure compensation on the flash.
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jupzchris Quote
I have a pentax k-x and if i use any preset mode the flash is just wayyyy too bright .....is that just a shitty thin bout the presets with this camera??
"Too bright" is a subjective thing. also tend to not like the default flash exposures, but others would find the exposures I prefer too dark. You might want to post a sample to be sure it's working correct, but I'm assuming we're just talking about a picture where the camera is operating correctly but you happen to be among the portion of the population who prefers less strong flash.
04-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have found this in the K10 FAQ manual, perhaps you can use it for the Kx

QuoteQuote:
Q: Can the amount of the flash be compensated?
A: Yes, the amount of the flash can be compensated in a range of -2.0 up to +1.0 when select
[Flash Exp Comp] in the Recording Menu.