Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

new K10d owner and new to the forum :)

howdy ya'll

Just got my new to me k10d ... 1st atuo SLR of any sort... learned SLR back in the early 90's with my dads fully manual Nikkormat he got back in college (crazy guy letting his 5th grade son using something like that... then again he had me shooting by the time I was 4 with my awesome fisher price/kodak 110 ;-)

went with the k10d after going to the camera store and findng that pentax had the right feel in my hands... don't need the newest and best but want good enough and the weather sealed body will be nice when I goto Panama in a few months... doesn't hurt that my father in law had a few pentax lenses kicking around

still playing around and having lots of fun shooting as much as I can (something I never was able to do with film)... nice having instant feedback and being able to just delete the opsy shots....

got it on ebay with the kit lens, a UV filter, and battery grip for less then i'd buy a similar canon or nikon at the store... i'm very pleased with it so far.

here are a few shots that came out OK most with the kit lens (and yes a few had something on the filter doh)

this one is taken with a 1.7 50mm pentax M lens (fun little lens)

looking forward to learning a lot while i'm here
thanks
mark

04-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I too chose Pentax because it felt the best and was the best bang for the buck. It also didnt hurt that my parents had an old film slr with lenses laying around. The k10d is an excellent dslr. I believe it won camera of the year when it came out, sweeping all the awards for that year.
04-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome.

Welcome to the Forums, you will find these Forums very friendly and very helpful.
Do not hesitate to ask about any problems questions etc.

What a great start, those photos are great. Well done!
04-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club and congratulations with the purchase from another happy K10D owner. You have some nice shots there.

04-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just so you know, that's not anything on your filter; it's dust etc. on your sensor. Only show up when you're really stopping down. They're big enough that a simple "sensor cleaning" shake won't do much. Better to manually clean it with some air pump action ;-)
04-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Weclcome to the Forum. Nice pictures. Well done...
04-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Just so you know, that's not anything on your filter; it's dust etc. on your sensor. Only show up when you're really stopping down. They're big enough that a simple "sensor cleaning" shake won't do much. Better to manually clean it with some air pump action ;-)
Yep.. Dust on the sensor.. It's a fact of DSLR life and RawheaD speaks the truth. Check your manual about cleaning the sensor and after you've exhausted those ideas, check back and we'll guide you through the rest. You can also clone those spots out with most processing software.

Welcome to the club from an original K10d owner (one of the first 2 in Southeast Michigan back in 2006 or at least that's what they told me at Adrays when they filled my pre-order)..

04-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yep.. Dust on the sensor.. It's a fact of DSLR life and RawheaD speaks the truth. Check your manual about cleaning the sensor and after you've exhausted those ideas, check back and we'll guide you through the rest. You can also clone those spots out with most processing software.

Welcome to the club from an original K10d owner (one of the first 2 in Southeast Michigan back in 2006 or at least that's what they told me at Adrays when they filled my pre-order)..

Hi welcome to the club. As for the dust on the sensor I usually start the procedure as the manual says but never touch the sensor I prefer a vacuum cleaner VERY LOOSELY coupled to sweep out all the dust not only from the sensor but from the whole mirror box plus having dust shake at power on, it doesn't hurt your battery.

Rui
04-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #9

Wow! I am impressed. Your first post and it includes photos!!! Welcome and we hope to see much more!
04-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
thanks for the heads up on the dust on sensor... i'll get that cleaned up asap ...

and of course there are pics... it's a camera forum ;-) lol I was well known to post pics for everything in my car days... now that it's the primary point of the forum it'll prob be even worse haha...
04-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
little playing with my father in laws POS 500m... i wont' quite get into focus... it has a ring adapter and it just won't quite goto infinite focus properly... also need a remote as I think even with the 2 second timer it's got a little wobble... this is the only one that came out anywhere near in focus... had to lighten it up more then I like but still a fun shooting the moon out in my front yard no less...

04-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
Inactive Account

On every lens I own, including the 500mm mirror lenses I use to own, The Moon is Just short of Infinity. Try going to infinity focus and then back off just a little bit.

04-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. The K10D is a great camera and is still one of the best values in DSLRs. Those are great shots you posted.

Swift1