Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10d Modes

been reading through the K10D manual regarding the various modes and kinda stumped with some of the interpretations..
has the been any posts or would it be asking too much regarding the modes and settings K10D owners use with their camera and the advantages ??..
Cheera and appreciated..

07-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Re:

I shoot pretty much on Manual Mode by choice so I can learn to guestimate exposure on my own. (Which is a pretty good skill to acquire actually).

The only problem is when I stick my manual 285HV flash on the camera, then things get a little tricky since some of my guesses turn out bad. With the manual flash I get pretty much the ambient feel of the light when I originally took the shot. Again however I shoot with the kit lens so sometimes even at F3.5 I will get uneven exposure when the light is too dark. So then I crank up the ISO to even things up. The problem this time is sometimes I forget to switch back to a lower ISO when the light get to brighter again. So I get way overexposed shots.

I Recently been experimenting with TAv mode. This mode allows me to change shutter speed and exposure just like in Manual mode but it also changes my ISO settings automatically whenever I change the other two settings so I dont even have to worry about forgetting to set the ISO back. I just set the highest ISO I want when in AUTO ISO and thats it. Pretty consistent exposures every time.
07-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use 3 modes

User, Manual, and Program, quite frequently.

I use them as follows:

I set user specifically for the setup that I use for flash photography. You can have unique white balance, ISO etc in this mode, separate from all other modess.

Manual mode I use primairly for nature work, where I want to set the exposure specifically, and only once. I do this by pointing the camera at a relitively neutral point (tree bark, a road, path etc) and pressing the green button to set the exposure.

Automatic mode is used least, and usually as a walk around setting or sightseeing
07-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How you use the modes depends on the photographer as the K10D is so customizable. But if it helps, here's what I generally use the modes for:

* - (Mode) / (Description) / (Usage)
* - Green / Full automatic (Camera Settings are locked) / Only when I'm letting a non-photographer take pictures with my camera.
* - P / Full Automatic (Camera Settings are NOT locked) / My primary shooting mode when I'm roaming around and taking shots. I set my program line to MTF, so it'll prioritize exposure to the lens' sweet spot for aperature and adjust shutterspeed. I have my Front Dial to P-shift, Rear Dial to EV-Compensation.
* - Av / Aperture Priority (You set the Aperture, the camera adjusts for other settings) / I have my front dial set to Aperture, and rear dial to EV-Compensation. I use it when I need to control the depth of field (distance that's in focus).
* - Tv / Sutterspeed Priority (Time Priority), (You set the Shutterspeed, camera adjusts other settings) / I have my front dial to Shutterspeed, Rear dial to EV-Compensation. I use it when I'm looking for a specific blurred motion effect or frozen action shot.
* - Sv / Sensitivity Priority (You set the ISO, the camera adjusts other settings) / I personally don't have much use for this mode because I find the ISO so easy to change in my other modes anyways (hold down OK, turn edial).
* - TAv / Time and Aperture priority (You set shutterspeed and aperature, the camera will adjust ISO) / Useful for taking repeated shots of the same scene where light can change slightly while controlling motion and depth of field. I have front edial for Aperture, Rear dial for Shutterspeed.
* - M / Manual Exposure / You control Aperture, Shutterspeed, and ISO (When all else fails... do it yourself)/ I used to use it primarily for long exposures before, now I find myself using it a lot more (especially for flash photography) since the green button is always around (green button resets Aperture and Shutterspeed to what the P-mode value would have been).
* - User / User Customized (Copies a Pv, Av, T, S, TAv, M mode for basic functionality, but hold a separate line of presets (different resolution, continuous shooting mode, etc adjusting settings under the User Menu will not affect other shooting modes) / This is either set to my continuous jpg mode, or a preplanned scene I know I'll arrive at (museum, inside a particular building, etc).

As I said, different photographers have different needs and will set it to do so, but you're welcome to try my settings to start until you find something you're more comfortable with.

Last edited by AVANT; 07-23-2007 at 09:59 AM.