Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I damage my camera ?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a pentax to m42 adaptor cos I've got a couple of old lens I could try out on my ist-DL.

Question is : Can the adaptor do damage by shorting the auto contacts ? Will it even lay against the contact ? I don't know!!!

I ask this cos I've never seen or used one.

Chromo

04-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I use these adaptors on my K-7 - no they don't damage anything.
04-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Beauty, Thanks
04-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The adapter itself will not short any contacts (at least not the pentax made ones), but all M lenses short the contacts, and some M42 lenses will as well. It's no problem. (All except the power zoom/SDM contacts anyway, those might not be safe, but you won't short them.)

04-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #5

I haven't had any issues with shorting. The old K and M mount lenses are all metal with no contacts of any sort, and they work just fine.
04-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Get the right adapter

Make sure that you get the right adapter. There are two styles.

There is a very inexpensive style, usually less than $10 on eBay, that has a large flange that sits outside the camera body, between the camera and the lens. This adds a mm or two to the lens-sensor distance and prevents infinity focus.

The other style, which is modeled after the genuine Pentax adapter, fits entirely inside the camera lens mount opening. These are a little more expensive, $15-20 for a third-party adapter, $30 or so for a genuine Pentax adapter.

Some people swear by the genuine article and recommend that you use no other. I have a third-party adapter and have never had any trouble with mine. Some, apparently, are very poor quality.

Mine has never caused any problems with my K10D, and I've been using it for almost three years.
04-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Make sure that you get the right adapter. There are two styles.

There is a very inexpensive style, usually less than $10 on eBay, that has a large flange that sits outside the camera body, between the camera and the lens. This adds a mm or two to the lens-sensor distance and prevents infinity focus.

The other style, which is modeled after the genuine Pentax adapter, fits entirely inside the camera lens mount opening. These are a little more expensive, $15-20 for a third-party adapter, $30 or so for a genuine Pentax adapter.

Some people swear by the genuine article and recommend that you use no other. I have a third-party adapter and have never had any trouble with mine. Some, apparently, are very poor quality.

Mine has never caused any problems with my K10D, and I've been using it for almost three years.
The third party adapters can be used, though I'm one of those that would suggest using the genuine article. What you want to make sure you do, especially with the third party one (in my experience) is remove that spring that locks it into place (you'll see it when you get the adapter).. If you go after the Genuine, don't pay more than $31 (USA only) for one. They are available at the Pentax web site for that but I don't think they ship beyond the US48.

Good luck..

04-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have had no problem with either the Pentax or off-brand, though I think I threw away the off-brand adapter after getting annoyed with it.

If you remove that spring, which can be handy, be careful that the lens doesn't slip off the body! There wil be nothing holding it into place, no locking mechanism, so a quarter turn will undo it. Some then go further and drill a hole for the locking pin to fit, in the flange of the lens mount. But I never bothered.
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I too have had no problem with either the Pentax or off-brand, though I think I threw away the off-brand adapter after getting annoyed with it.

If you remove that spring, which can be handy, be careful that the lens doesn't slip off the body! There wil be nothing holding it into place, no locking mechanism, so a quarter turn will undo it. Some then go further and drill a hole for the locking pin to fit, in the flange of the lens mount. But I never bothered.
Agreed. The reason I suggested 86ing the spring is that it takes some finesse and getting use to to remove the adapter. Many of these adapters come with 'keys' that are supposed to easily remove it. What I found with the first one I tried, I damn near ruined the lens mount of the camera. I now use a tweezer (forecept, pickup) to depress the spring on the adapters that still have them.

The lens does fit down quite tight to the body with the proper adapter so you do have to make sure it's on right. Some adapters fit more snugly than others and some are downright impossible (which is why I suggest the genuine article). The spring is more of a safety feature and you are right, care should be taken if the spring is removed.

04-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both a Pentax and some other brand, both inherited. They are as good as each other, there are two problems with both of them, they have a tendency to leave themselves in the camera body and they move about 15 degrees on the camera. The movement does not seem to make much difference to photo quality but its a little annoying. I have been useing them on my K7 and ist*D with no worries about the shorting.

James
04-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Nubi

Yeah, the old lenses are great. It is the ones with SDM. Oh god.
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The ones to avoid are the ones with a large flange that sits outside the camera body and prevents infinity focus.

I've removed the spring on my third-party adapter. Friction seems to be more than enough to keep the lens on the camera. I have never had even a hint that the lens was about to come loose and fall off the camera.

Some people have gone so far as to drill a hole or slot in the base of their M42 lenses, to accomodate the lens lock pin on the camera. I have not gone that far. IMHO, it is not necessary.
04-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I have the genuine pentax M ring adapter. At first I found it very tedious to unwind the lens and then have to click the spring to remove the ring from the camera. Contemplated removing the spring so the ring would stay with the lens. In the end I have just got used to it and have found the spring opens easily with a thumb nail. No problem. Does not need a "special tool". I had not considered the lens simply falling off the camera with the spring removed. Glad I didn't "adapt" it.