Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #1

The D-BG 3?

I want to buy a battery-grip for my K200D and have found one to buy on E-bay. So no Iīve read in the Accessory reviews about it and they say it have no af-botton? Do they mean that you canīt autofocus with the batterygrip attached and in vertical postion?

///Anders S

04-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My BG-3 has an On/Off switch for the battery grip buttons, The shutter release button which works just like the shutter release on the camera which does auto focus Unless you use the OK button on the back of the body to do auto focus. It also has an AE-L button on it. I've been very pleased with my BG-3. It lives on my K200D full time.
04-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Then I wonder why they are writing that? Perhaps the grips they have is third party? And I donīt use the OK-button to do autofocus.

///Anders S
04-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Other cameras have an AF button (K10/20/7) so that may just be a generic statement and true of even the genuine article. The claim of most of the third party sellers is that theirs is the same (function) as the real thing.

04-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The statement is true - there is no separate button just for AF. there is a shutter button, which works just like the shutter button on the camera; it both focuses *and* takes the pciture. The K200D has a searate button - labeled "OK" - that you can configure to do AF *only* but not take the picture (other cameras have a similar button labeled "AF"). The grip lacks this separate button, so if you are accustomed to using that button, you'll have to keep pressing it on the body rather than having a second one on the grup. Sounds like you've never used this button, though, so it woulnd't even be an issue for you.
04-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
No I have not used this button. Is this a faster way to focus? Why does you guy do that? I pretty new to the camera. I bought it last year in july 2009. So no this wonīt be a problem for me. But Iīm going to try this feature when I come home. How do you do to make the camera do that?

///Anders S
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's useful in situations where you want to focus once then take a whole bunch of pictures of the same exact scene without the camera focusing between shots. Letting the camera refocus between shots when nothing has changed in the scene just slows it down. and introduces the possibility that the next shot, it might choose a *different* (part of the scene to focus on (even if you're selecting the focus point yourself).

I personally am so used to AF happening with the shutter that I would find it hard to turn that off, but I have my OK button configured to temporarily *cancel* AF (there is a custom menu option to control the behavior of the OK button). So I handle situations like this by first taking a shot normally 0 letting the camera focus when i press the shutter - and then sticking my thumb on the OK button and holding it there while I take a bunch more shots, safe in the knowledge the camera won't waste time or risk error refocusing. So for me, the grip wouldn't seem particularly attractive unless I could still easily reach the OK button while pressing the shutter button.

Also, I'm not clear on whether the BG-3 includes a Green button, but if not, that pretty much makes it useless to me, as shooting in M mode, I use the Grene button to set exposure a lot.

Mostly, though, I don't want a bigger camera, so I've never been too tempted by this even when Rtiz was dumping them for $35.

04-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

No Green button on the BG-3. It would be nice if it did but I get by. My big hands like the extra grip area but not very many people have hands as big as mine.
04-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
No Green button on the BG-3. It would be nice if it did but I get by. My big hands like the extra grip area but not very many people have hands as big as mine.
Iīve big hands to! Thatīs why I want a grip and I donīt have to raise my arm in a inconvenient position.

Iīm gonna try this method by clicking the OK-button after Iīve focused!

Thank you!

///Anders S