Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks for your input.

Do you know when or where the Pentax F1.7x AF TC will be available?

I was told that this older Kenko teleconverter Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ will work on the K7 and will autofocus. The newer Kenko's will not work with SDM and autofocus.

Any thoughts on this? Is that a true statement

Last edited by conradcjc; 04-21-2010 at 10:19 AM.
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by conradcjc Quote
Thanks for your input.

I was told that this older Kenko teleconverter Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ will work on the K7 and will autofocus. The newer Kenko's will not work with SDM and autofocus.

I've got both a 2 year old Kenko (second hand, $50) and the Pentax TC (second hand, €25).
Both work fine with all my Pentax longer glass, not with the Tamron 18-250mm.
It is hard to find these TC's new.
I understand that you can get the Pentax new on the Internet where it is sold out of Asia, but had no need to research that.

- Bert
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help.

04-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Conrad,

Your plan is a HUGE expense, and as a first camera (I'm assuming) and your broad hobbies I think you may end up regretting that much high end glass.

I think you would be much better served getting a much more moderate setup, and once you have decided where your interests lie spend the money there. (Unless you have unlimited resources, then by all means buy away)

I think a good normal lens (17-70mm) and a good long lens (55-300mm) is a great starting point.

Once you have some idea of your focal lengths get some primes.
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your input.

Conrad, The 1.7x does not Autofocus the LENS but is itself an autofocus device. In fact, there is no link to the focusing mechanism of the lens itself. Some get rubbed the wrong way when it's called a TC even though that's kind of what it does. Its original intent was to allow manual lenses to autofocus on a AF enabled film camera. Basically the way it works is you get Close to focused with your lens focus ring, then the AF will snap it right in. On the DA*300, this actually works quite well even though this unit is spec'd for f2.8 and faster lenses (the 300 is an f4).

I have a Tamron 2x AF-PZ 7 element type that is similar to the Kenko I believe. It does not enable the SDM but does allow the screw drive to be used on lenses that have them. PZ btw, stands for Power Zoom, and enabled lenses work with the Pentax DSLRs. I do not own one so I cannot report on how well it works. It too plays well with the pentax lenses.

With ANY TC, you should figure on doing some manual focusing. The F1.7x AF adapter (the proper name) can go for over $350 these days. From what I understand they are back in production and available in Japan but I have not dug into that option since I found mine. The Tamron or equivalent, $80 - $100 on ebay. I don't think there are ANY companies currently making TCs specifically for Pentax, with the exception of Sigma. They intend the TCs to be used with Their lenses.

04-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input. I have learned a great deal from everyone. It's a big help. I will take everything everyone is telling me into consideration before I purchase anything.

04-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Bert,

How do you like that 60-250mm? Are the pictures amazing? Is it good for the outdoor stuff I want to do as listed above.

Do you know if you can put a teleconverter on the Pentax 300mm? If so which one works the best?

Thanks
Chuck
Hi Chuck, the 60-250mm is great. I went to the shop first a took a large amount of test shots with both the 60-250 and 55-300 and did true pixel peeping at home.
I decided to take both.
The 55-300 is surprisingly good considering the cost.
The 60-250 is definitely better at the long end, very sharp, also in the corners. Its bokeh is superb.

Both lenses will handle the TC's I have in daylight, however the 55-300 suffers more in IQ than the 60-250.
Focusing in low light (without TC) with the 60-250mm is problem at all.
See samples below.
I travel a lot, also in rainy and dusty environments.
The 55-300mm is great for hiking and long walks considering its weigth and size, that is the sole reason I've bougth it for.
The 60-250mm (optional with TC) is great for wildlife / safari and harsh environments.

The Pentax 1.7x TC is (by the way) available new through the Japanese amazone site.
Amazon.co.jp: pentax 1.7x - ‰Ć“d&ƒJƒƒ‰: ‰Ć“dEƒJƒƒ‰

Some low light DA* 60-250mm examples:

DA* 60-250mm with Kenko 1.5Tx TC [AF works fine during daytime]

A few 55-300mm shots from last weekend:

With Pentax 1.7x TC:

Without TC:

I hope this helped.

- Bert
04-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #24

Original Poster
The pictures are amazing Bert! Very nice job. The 60-250mm lens is outstanding from what I can see and what I have been reading. I sent you a private message if you can look at that when you get some time I would appreciate it.

Thanks
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Conrad,

Your plan is a HUGE expense, and as a first camera (I'm assuming) and your broad hobbies I think you may end up regretting that much high end glass.

I think you would be much better served getting a much more moderate setup, and once you have decided where your interests lie spend the money there. (Unless you have unlimited resources, then by all means buy away)

I think a good normal lens (17-70mm) and a good long lens (55-300mm) is a great starting point.

in some ways very sound advise, in other ways not so good.

The 17-70 is a good and perhaps final lens to purchase in that focal length range, although I believe it is F4 at the long end.

It is also wise to start with only that lens, especially if you are new to photography.

BUT here is the catch, If you already have some experience, (and of course the money) in my opinion you are better off getting good, really good glass, because you will spend a lot more in the long run, replacing lower cost (usually slower and lower IQ) lenses as you move up.

for a newcomer to photography, the best solution is to start with one lens, play with it, and learn where, and which direction you want to go next.

As I pointed out already I think 17mm is not wide enough. and a 10-20 or 12-24 is a good second lens.

Longer lenses really are where the cost is, in moving to a really expensive direction that is aimed at sports and wild life
05-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Conrad,

I recommend a somewhat moderate setup also when you go into a new system, maybe start with just one or two lenses on the list?

Also have you played extensively with these cameras? From my experience it's much easier to make a decision after you spend time with the gears. Most of the people I met can tell which system they want once they get a good solid hands-on on the camera and lenses. You can borrow some gears from friends, try them out in stores, rent used gears, etc.
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As indicated by othewrs, the DA*60-250 f4 is a superb lens. I do not think you would need both the DA*60-250 and the DA*50-135, though. I have both and have not used the DA*50-135 since I obtained the DA*60-250. Maybe you could get the DA*300, which I also have and is superb, rather than the DA*50-135.

I also would recommend the DA*16-50 over the DA17-70 as I do believe the IQ is better.

As for choosing a camera system, there has been very good advice given here. As someone else advised, try to stay unbiased and choose on merit and what suits you best as all the cameras you have listed for evaluation will all give superb results. The most important aspects are the system you buy into, ie lenses and flashes etc, and the ergonomics and feel of the camera. It is no good having a camera that is difficult to use as this will mean that you will be less inclined to want to use it and when you do use it you may miss shots due to the fact that you find the camera difficult to use at critical times.