Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #1

New K-7 : SD Slot issue or normal thing?

Okay, I got my new K-7 yesterday, quality of build and machine is so impressive I am feeling glad that I decided to go with Pentax.

While playing with the Camera I found that I have to push SD card in and out bit hard and it gives a feeling like some pin or something is stopping it going inside or getting out. Once inside camera, card can be accessed and I can read/write or format w/o any issue.

Is this something normal or I shall get a replacement as it is still under 30day return/exchange limit.

04-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely normal. It is a snug fit new but over time the SD card slot will loosen up a little.
04-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At first I was annoyed with the little door of the SD card slot and the minimum clearance you have to get your fingers in there to pull the card out. I quickly found that if you use just the tip of your finger or fingernail to push down on the card, it will spring up or out of the slot and make it a little easier to remove.
Do not try this while standing near a toilet. Let me tell, retrieving an SD card from a toilet is pointless and retelling the story only generates ridicule.
04-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
At first I was annoyed with the little door of the SD card slot and the minimum clearance you have to get your fingers in there to pull the card out. I quickly found that if you use just the tip of your finger or fingernail to push down on the card, it will spring up or out of the slot and make it a little easier to remove.
Do not try this while standing near a toilet. Let me tell, retrieving an SD card from a toilet is pointless and retelling the story only generates ridicule.

I launched mine across the room when I first did that. That spring is surprisingly strong. With a little bit of finesse you can get to the point where it pops out perfectly so you can grab hold of it.

To the OP, The card should be snug and there's little tolerance in the slot but you shouldn't have to Force the card in.

04-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Toilet humor!

I've launched my K7's SD card across the room more times than I care to recount. I plan on staying away from bathrooms when, ah, downloading.

What were they thinking in that card slot design?
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote

What were they thinking in that card slot design?
I believe they are training us ninja skills!

When you master it perfectly you can shoot the memory card straight in to your card reader across the room with neat back hand flip that provides enough momentum to turn the card around mid-air so the pins point in the right direction.

AND if you have a partner with the same training s/he can shoot the card back in to your camera with the same trick! Solving the tethering problem too.