Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #1

*ist D problems updating firmware

Dear All, I've searched the web, called my country assistance for help but really no luck updating my firmware for *ist D.
I've followed instruction, so downloaded the file, put in a formatted flash, run the camera holding menu but no luck, it seems that the camera does not look at the flash (2 Gb, 1Gb and 64 Mb so no more than 4 Gb as stated) the only result is to visualize the version of my firmware (1.0)
Tried with new batteries so I'm simply getting crazy.... Any suggestion or help very very very appreciated

04-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GiorgioPentax Quote
Dear All, I've searched the web, called my country assistance for help but really no luck updating my firmware for *ist D.
I've followed instruction, so downloaded the file, put in a formatted flash, run the camera holding menu but no luck, it seems that the camera does not look at the flash (2 Gb, 1Gb and 64 Mb so no more than 4 Gb as stated) the only result is to visualize the version of my firmware (1.0)
Tried with new batteries so I'm simply getting crazy.... Any suggestion or help very very very appreciated
Did you make sure to Unpack the BIN file and put it in the Root (base) directory of the card? If the file is in the DCIM directory, it will not work because the camera won't know where to find it.

04-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Still problems, so i will explaing in detail what I've done.

1) charged rechargeable batteries to full
2) download firmware from pentax europe website for my ist D (Downloads - PENTAX Europe GmbH) to be sure not to have any problem of different names europe/USA
3) extracted the bin to a dir in my hard disk
4) checked the firmware on my camera (on + menu button)
it result to be ver 1.0 (appear for 5 second on my display)
5) formatted a SanDisk of 2 Gb (tried both with a lexar and a sandisk) 6) copied the bin file to the root directory (no DCMI directory)
7) put the flash in the camera... and push on+menu... nothing happens I see the ver.1.0 for 5 seconds and then the normal menu

I'm desperate (((((((((((
Any help appreciated
04-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

It sounds like you did everything exactly right. I'm afraid I can't help much further at this point but I'm bumping your post to the top anyway. Maybe somebody else can help..

You say your camera is an istD.. What kind of card are you using? If it is an SD card, read on. If it's a Compact Flash card, Read on anyway.

THE only thing I can think of is that you have the Wrong firmware. That is, there are Several versions of the *ist D cameras (D, DS,DS2,DL,DL2). If you have the wrong one, the camera will simply reject it and have the behavior you are seeing. I would like to think you know which camera you have but it is not impossible to believe you downloaded the wrong file.

04-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you put the file onto the CF card, make sure it is on the very first level of the card, not in a sub menu.
04-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

what version are you trying to load, the latest is 1.12

also make sure you are loading for an *istD, not DS, DS2 or DL
04-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks to all for the reply. I love pentax and I love this forum, today I will give my camera to a friend of mine asking for update the firmware (without telling him anything just not to influence him). I hope everything will go fine and post what is the problem.
Giorgio
04-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
[langtitle=it]Solved ![/langtitle]

Solved ! the problem was in the corrupt file of firmware ! I did it a big thanks to everyone that helped me ! I love pentax and pentax community!
Giorgio

06-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #9

Where and how did you find out the firmware was corrupt? Where did you get new firmware that was not corrupt. I am having the exact same problem, my camera wont recognize the file and begin updating