Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hot Filter Thickness on K10D?

Does anyone know the thickness of the hotfilter (IR/UV) on the K10D CCD?

I'm curious because I'm considering getting a second body and then supplying my own filter material to an IR conversion shop. That way I can ensure that I'm getting the critical colors I'm seeking.

Since I do astrophotography, I'm wanting to get the 656nm H-alpha line and desire a cutoff at 420nm to prevent violet halos. I'm considering the Baader filter as my material and they provide it in a slab that's 3mm thick.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thickness for the Pentax camera.

Does anyone know?

04-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a K10d Service manual here that may help you.. Perhaps in the parts list (if there is one).. I can't really help you beyond that but I'm anxiously awaiting your photos to see the result.

Downloads

04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I looked over the service manual and it didn't have dimensions on the filter. I'm working finding more information at the moment, hopefully I'll have something new to report soon.
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There is a K10d Service manual here that may help you.. Perhaps in the parts list (if there is one).. I can't really help you beyond that but I'm anxiously awaiting your photos to see the result.

Downloads

Jeff: very interesting link. I am sure not that many people are able to disassemble a K10D and have it put together correctly.

04-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Jeff: very interesting link. I am sure not that many people are able to disassemble a K10D and have it put together correctly.
I'm certain I could Do it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. I was just hoping it would have helped the OP, I would love to see some Astro photos from a modded K10d, at which point I might try it myself.

04-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've sent an email to Spencer's camera to see if they could get back with me on the dimensions of the filter. No luck yet. I'll give them a phone call next week.

I'll probably do this project later in the year in August, since I'll be shooting a wedding for a friend and the extra body will come in handy. Once that is done, I'll send that extra body off for the change.