Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2007, 03:49 AM   #1

Portrait photos on K10D

I seem to have some problems with portrait (as opposed to landscape) photos. When I take a portrait photo what I see in the viewfinder is never what the picture actually looks like - it is always off centre. Say for example i am photographing a statue in portrait, in order for the statue to be in the centre of the photo when I actually press the shutter release, the statue has to been offset to the left of the viewfinder. Why is this? I thought the whole point of an SLR is that what you see in the viewfinder is what the picture will actually look like.

07-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have not noticed this myself. Does it make a difference if the SR is turned on?

I would suspect the SR system is shifting the sensor to one side (incorrectly).
07-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #3

Just a thought, but are you sure you are looking straight into the view finder and not yourself offcenter?
07-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try setting your camera shutter to 2 secs mirror lock and take another pic. If its not off-center it may well be the pressure of your finger pusing the shutter thats causing it. If thats not the case than i would send it in for inspection while your warranty is still valid.

07-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

The viewfinder is not 100% of what the lens sees, it is in the order of 95% (specs don't state the accuracy of the figure given). The viewfinder chops a little off the edges and a little off the top I think. I can't remember exactly how the 5% gets eaten up. If it is more top than bottom then when you shoot in portrait mode things will not be as centered on the vertical as you think. Best to set the camera on a tripod and test to see where the 5% goes. I need to do it too. For me most of the time I don't worry about it too much and most of the time I use the extra couple pixels on the edge as insurance and if need be crop accordingly. I think the missing 5% is what you are seeing and not trigger pressure.