Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #1

Customer Service-Warranty

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if their customer service event was satisfactory?

the last time I used customer service was for a 1980s MX that was damaged by salt spray during a whale watching trip. Do be honest I can't remember how it all got sorted.

I am thinking of buying a K-7 with WR lenses within a week. I had had a digital Olympus that I truly love and Olympus has great customer support, but I like the K-7 specs better than anything Olympus has.

I don't know if I am splitting topics but the Olympus (C-5060) had a vari-angle lcd that works great in direct sunlight just by tilting the lcd while keeping the camera fixed. My other big concern is that I will have problems viewing the live view in direct sunlight.

thanks

04-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last year I had a lens that was defective - sent it to Pentax and they replaced it right away. Their website had said it would take 6 weeks, but i got the replacement in 4. That's been my only experience with any repairs since I bought my first Pentax camera a number of years ago.

I hardly ever use live view - I find it too tiring to hold a dSLR with even a light lens at almost arms length for very long. Add a long, heavy lens and I can't hold it still enough to shoot, even with faster shutter speeds. Seeing the LCD is OK in bright sunlight, but not great. Works all right for reviewing a shot, but I wouldn't want to use it for critical focusing during live view. I have no trouble seeing the menus and making setting changes. Maybe if I used it more I might feel differently about live view, but I just don't find it all that useful unless I'm using a tripod.
04-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patobrocks Quote
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if their customer service event was satisfactory?

the last time I used customer service was for a 1980s MX that was damaged by salt spray during a whale watching trip. Do be honest I can't remember how it all got sorted.

I am thinking of buying a K-7 with WR lenses within a week. I had had a digital Olympus that I truly love and Olympus has great customer support, but I like the K-7 specs better than anything Olympus has.

I don't know if I am splitting topics but the Olympus (C-5060) had a vari-angle lcd that works great in direct sunlight just by tilting the lcd while keeping the camera fixed. My other big concern is that I will have problems viewing the live view in direct sunlight.

thanks
If you're coming from a point and shoot expecting to use the K7 in the same manner, Don't. Especially with the lack of a swivel screen you'll be disappointed in that aspect of it. The live view is nice and can help with manual focus, is needed for video, is fine for general reviewing of composition, and is there to display the menus (which are easy to navigate btw). On that single feature alone, IMO, this is the only place the K7 (or any other Pentax DSLR) really lacks. Brightness can be adjusted to assist in different conditions but it isn't the same as a direct view at all angles.

In every other aspect, The K7 far exceeds anything a point and shoot can do (save for the size and portability). I can't speak on customer service center. Fortunately I have zero experience with them.