Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I understand that in some wedding situations no camera can ever possibly be good enough no matter who's shooting it.

i agree, this is so true

12-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #62
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
I got my K-7. Usedit for weddings this year, and it works well.

It is a pleasure to use in comparison to the K10D. I can really trust that the shots are going to be in focus where the K10 would not manage a focused shot.
Was the K10D really that bad for you? In all my weddings to date I have had my K10D, usually buddied with a *ist D or K20D. I may have missed a couple of shots by virtue of low light focusing issues, but I rarely miss a shot for incorrect focusing on all of my cameras.
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #63
Veteran Member

My most recent wedding last weekend was the first time I added videography without bringing a videographer. The couple was already purchasing the slideshow montage and I wanted to experiment with video so I shot clips throughout the day. For the stills I used (along with my assistant)

Pentax k-7
Pentax k20d
Canon 5dmkII
Canon 1DmkIII

For video I used
Canon 5DmkII
Pentax k-7
Canon G12

The only thing that kinda sucked for me was that I had the k-7 mounted on a tripod shooting video of the ceremony... and my assistant was holding the 1D and the k20... so I only had one body during the ceremony. Not that it mattered because the ceremony is pretty easy to shoot anyway - and my assistant is awesome. But I felt naked with a single prime lens on a single body for that part of the day

The best part of my setup was carrying the p&s camera with HD video that I could give to other people to shoot for me. You can see the bridesmaid shooting the video of the "first look" in the still photo I have right after that clip.

The other thing that sucked about the day is having to put away both Pentax cameras after the sun went down. The k20 stopped firing the flash AT ALL... not in Manual Mode... not in p-ttl. And the k-7 was struggling to focus in the dark with the fast action... and it sucked past ISO 1600 so I could not get the ambient light I wanted. In the end I did all the night shots with the Canon's at ISO 6400 F1.4 (on 35mm and 85mm lenses... and using a VERY small amount of flash).

I have too many cameras and not enough money but I suppose I will need to pick up a k-5 sometime if I want to keep shooting Pentax

Wood's Blog Melanie and Ross Tie the Knot
03-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #64
Veteran Member

The K-7 will work better than the K-10 for weddings. The AF works better in lower light and is a lot faster. The K-7 sensor is better than the K10D sesnor. With the K10D I really didn't want to shot at iso 800 but will in a pinch. The K7 I will shot at 800 easily and in a pinch even 1600. The nosie in the K-7 is better looking (more film like) than the noise from the K10D.

05-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #65

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
July 2010, I shot a big wedding in Russell Square in London with my Pentax K7. I was actually really surprised with how well the camera performed and I shot perfectly good and usable images at up to ISO 2500. I used this as my upper limit when not using flash (I love flash by the way). The K7 focuses quickly enough to capture 'moments' without the client’s facial expressions changing from genuine smiles to stressed ones as they think "what is taking so long?" I had quite a few of those shots from my previous K10D as it struggled to get its act in order and fall into focus, often back focus. As a pro shooting a dynamic environment such as a wedding the camera needs to be able to work as fast as I do and the K7 presented in its specifications and evidenced through actual use, real usable and valuable improvements, which have improved my profit margins. I'm going to be pick up a couple of K5 bodies this year. Looking at the specification, review, ratings and ravings the K5 is creating I can easily see the camera taking a fair bite out of the wedding pros current 5D mk II with 24-105 f4 staple, which is making so much wedding photography have the 'same look’. I have always felt that artists should vary their brush.