Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7 suitability for weddings?

Are there any pro photographers using the K7 successfully for wedding photography? I'm considering purchacing a K7 body to force my K10D to be my backup/alternate camera.

What are your thoughts please?

04-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use k-7 for weddings. But the "look" from the camera was so much different than my other cameras that it took me a while to figure out how to process all my images so it looked like a cohesive set for an album.

Now that I am used to it this is my favorite camera. I use it primarily with DA*16-50, 43mm and DA*200mm. The increased focus accuracy is the biggest improvement for me. I now have to make a mental note and flip the camera to manual focus when I'm shooting my K20d in the dark (i.e. first dance) or I'll drive myself crazy waiting for it to lock focus.

I've used it for some video at weddings too. The still photos in this wedding came from a mix of Canon 5d, Canon 30d, Canon 1dmkIII and Pentax k-7 while the video was taken by a Canon HD video camera (I don't know what model) and the Pentax k-7 (with 16-50 mounted)
Wood's Blog Fusion Wedding Video

My only difficulty with my Pentax setup for weddings right now is getting a fast-wide lens. I really need the 31mm Ltd for church weddings but I do so few church weddings that I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I've got a job this summer that just may push me over the edge though. I took a test shot in the church last week and the exposure was ISO 3200, F2.8, 1/20sec. So if I get the 31mm for my pentax I will probably shoot my Canon 1dmkIII with the 135mm F2 and the Pentax k-7 with 31mm F1.8. I'm not sure if the K20D will be invited to that wedding or not
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

Sure, it's just fine for weddings.

I've shot two weddings with mine so far.
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #4

Thanks for this information. I have/had sometimes problem too with autofocus with K10D/K20D.
Your weddins picture are nice.

04-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many forum members have shot weddings successfully with just about all Pentax dSLRs.
With that, you can bet the K-7 will be all that you'd need to shoot a wedding effectively.
I've done weddings with Pentax's first dSLR, the *ist D, and the only deficiency with it is exceeding its limit of continuous frames - one problem you will not have with the K-7.

I now shoot with the K20D with a K10D as a second body - both of which have been more than adequate for the task.
04-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
The major problem I have with the K10D is that the focus is too slow and not accurate enough. Will the K-7 blow me away in this area?
04-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
The major problem I have with the K10D is that the focus is too slow and not accurate enough. Will the K-7 blow me away in this area?
The K7 AF is faster and a bit more sensitive, but is still prone to inexplicably failing at the wrong moment.
I've been using Pentax cameras for weddings for some 25 years, I've tried AF a few times and always went back to manual focus because the AF stuffs up on me at some point during the day.

04-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Everything will let you down eventually (Yes - even manual focus). I also own the Canon 1DmkIII which is supposed to be one of the fastest and most accurate cameras ever created and it will also let me down sometimes. If you are hoping something will blow you away ... be prepared to be underwhelmed.
04-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't own a K-7 but shoot with a pair of K20D's and they have done a fine job for me. So with the improved AF of the K-7, you should have no issues. I've recently added a K-x just for inside churches, not for the AF but the high ISO ability of this camera. The AF is better as well, so that's a bonus.

As for cwood's question on lenses, I sold my 31mm Limited for a Sigma 28mm f1.8. No regrets. Less than half the price and very good AF in poor light. I like it enough that I'll add their 20mm to the kit sometime this summer. I just wish there was a 100-135mm f2 lens available to us.
04-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K7 works quite well. Feels like a step up from the K20 in every respect. I do find the auto focus is a lot better, particularly with the DA * lenses. I find the 16-50 hunts a lot less than with the K20. The biggest weakness that I see in the K7 is the Jpeg engine. I don't have trouble shooting iso 1600 in RAW, but if I try to do that in camera, it tends to look really lousy. At the same time, most of the "bad high iso" rap on the K7 has come from that jpeg engine, as well as the fact that an amazing high iso camera (the kx) came out at the same time.

Anyway, I find that in wedding situations, the K7 holds up better over all, in particular because I shoot RAW anyway.
04-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As for cwood's question on lenses, I sold my 31mm Limited for a Sigma 28mm f1.8. No regrets. Less than half the price and very good AF in poor light. I like it enough that I'll add their 20mm to the kit sometime this summer. I just wish there was a 100-135mm f2 lens available to us.
I'll have to look into that Sigma - thanks for the tip. I've never heard of anyone selling the 31 Ltd to go to a Sigma before. The 31 is supposed to be the holy grail of Pentax lenses I thought. I'm not a fan of the Sigma 30mm F1.4 at all so I didn't even realize there was another option.

And the Canon 135mm F2 is fantastic... not only is it one of their nicest lenses but it is also their cheapest L glass. I've always thought Pentax would do well to re-introduce this focal length. The Pentax 135mm F1.8 looks nice (though I've never tried it) but its OLD, expensive and only available in manual focus.

Now that I've sufficiently hijacked this thread I'll go make some dinner
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
The Pentax 135mm F1.8 looks nice (though I've never tried it) but its OLD, expensive and only available in manual focus.

Now that I've sufficiently hijacked this thread I'll go make some dinner
The Pentax is an expensive lens? Crud...I need to beef up on my Pentax lens lore. I passed one up at a second hand shop for $20. Actually I think it was the 2.8 now that I think about it.
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Nubi

I understand that in some wedding situations no camera can ever possibly be good enough no matter who's shooting it.
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thinking about it, it is the in focus accuracy percentage increase that I desire more than an improvement in speed.

If only the K-7 body was man sized! (my hang up)
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
The Pentax is an expensive lens? Crud...I need to beef up on my Pentax lens lore. I passed one up at a second hand shop for $20. Actually I think it was the 2.8 now that I think about it.
A 1.8? Really. There are a lot of 135mm's at different max apertures. I hate to say it, but if it really was the f1.8 version, it's worth around $1000 in mint shape. In fact any Pentax or Takumar brand lens in decent shape and working is worth more than $40 at the worst and I would buy any I found for $20.00 either to use or sell.

Thinking about it, it is the in focus accuracy percentage increase that I desire more than an improvement in speed.

If only the K-7 body was man sized! (my hang up)
I have the K-x which is smaller and doesn't offer a grip. I love the small size and I thought it wouldn't fit my hand but it does.