Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #1

is K-X Live View quirky about focusing?

Is everyone's K-X Live View picky & quirky about focusing?

The manual comments seem to be trying to manage user expectations.
How can I tell when something is really amiss?

When in Live View mode, the camera seems as though it never really settles down to focus on anything. Out - in - back out etc.

04-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is to be expected. The manual doesn't want to say "Live view sucks at focusing" so they have to dummy it down, but every single review I have read about the Kx and from personal experience (I own a Kx) live view is good for when and if you need to take a picture with the camera away from your face but expect the focusing to be slow. It will eventually focus but it will take a while.
04-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick answer.
Happy to know my particular camera is performing to factory specs.
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #4

Yeah, the other day while at the zoo, I was trying to hold the camera over my head to get a shot over the railing of one enclosures, but the focusing was so slow on the live view it was hard to get the shot of the moving animal...

So instead I just climbed up onto the concrete barrier and leaned in over the railing to where I could look through the viewfinder.

04-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You're going to get this kind of response from any DSLR in live view though, because the technology is far from being perfected, unfortunately. The Canon professional cameras can't even focus very well in live view, just because the contrast detect autofocus isn't as accurate as the normal focus and the mirror flip autofocus takes too long since you have to drop the mirror down and put it back up again. Maybe soon there will be some way to make it work better, but for now no matter what kind of camera you get, no matter what brand, you're going to get some horrible live view autofocus from it. Well, unless it's an Olympus, anyways, the Four Thirds sensor gives them a unique way of being able to focus with live view, but it's still slow actually.
04-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is just dreadful as well. Live view focusing would only be useful for macro. Thankfully K-x focusing speed/accuracy is otherwise excellent - I even get blind shots I sneakily take of my kids :P

Last edited by Ecaterin; 04-21-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: can't type-have the dumb
04-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I agree that the live view autofocus is slow but you may use it in combination with the 11 point AF sensor of the K-X (focus as fast as using the viewfinder), the only drawback is that the screen turn off when hunting for focus.

04-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd assume live view = manual focus.
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I'm in the same boat and pretty much just given up on live view. I much prefer using the viewfinder as I find it is the only way to properly focus on your subject. Whenever I use live view with my k-x, I am never sure when I'm in proper focus. Couldn't say much about AF though with Live View as I don't really use my kit lens that much.
04-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote
cut...I much prefer using the viewfinder as I find it is the only way to properly focus on your subject...cut
I too use for the 90% of the time the VF, but i found that with LV and MF lens i can put the focus exactly where i want using an f1.4 lens. (You can zoom while in LV by pressing "info" button and it goes till 10x magnification with manual focus selected on body)

Also when taking macros handeld with the extension tube i found it to be a great help.
04-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
I must have read over that in the manual. I just tried the info zoom using LV and it was nice. Still hard to stabilize as it'll take some time for me to learn how to balance the camera away from my face. Very good tip.
08-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I agree. Live view is a real help in MF mode.
But in another issue on this forum there was a sollution.
go in MENU > then 3rd page > live view > autofocus mode > select the last option, which shows the 11 field. Then you press once and it makes a blind shutter. After that you find the focus is done. It is a bit strange and noisy, and also takes time but at least you can be focused. As live view works in passive focus, in low light it can be hopeless to focus in.
I have changed K-m for K-x because video and live-view. But I must say that any soap-shaped cameras or bridge cameras are much - much faster than Pentax live-view AF. In fact is there any other camera with such a slow (and noisy) AF?
08-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Live view focus in it's default state is pretty miserable, it has to go throughout the entire focus range and then it zips back to optimal focus.

You can change it though to use the same focusing method you'd use while looking through the viewfinder, I don't have my Kx anymore though so I can't outline the procedure exactly.

Once you switch the live view focus methods you'll find that focus is rapid, probably somewhere in between the viewfinder and a typical point and shoot and makes it possible to use the Kx as somewhat of a point and shoot experience
08-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #14

Just the other day, one of my cats was sitting in my windowsill so I couldn't use the viewfinder to take a picture head on. What I did instead was use live view to frame the shot, then I held the camera steady and switched out of live view to focus and take the shot. So that's another way to use it without having to deal with the slow focus speed.
08-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Thats what I use it for and its great