Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Jay Quote
So long as we avoid ever speaking to another human being, it will never matter.

It took a while for 2010 to standardize and settle down as "Twenty Ten".

A seasoned mentor who worked a brilliant career spanning Time-Life, Nat'l Geo, and Smithsonian always clearly articulated "Knee-con". Only hearing Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" on the radio protected me from bowing to expert practice and doing likewise.

To the "Dashites" out there-
Wonderful!
You've illustrated my reason for asking in the first place.

Thank you all for your thoughtful inputs.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. ~Mark Twain

It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word. ~Andrew Jackson
this is very noble and intelligent. kudos, however it should be at least reasonably obvious that the dash is not to be pronounced and that it serves the purpose to clearly illustrate that the two letters are to be pronounced separately. the dash is not part of the intended pronunciation. and as for nikon, its actually properly pronounced differently in the east and west. wether this was intended I do not know, but it is clearly an adopted practice.

04-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by PaladinPete Quote
LOL @Ira. Since I'm new here I bow to the experts and just pronounce the letters without the dash.
Pronounce the dash and start a trend!!!
04-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
what about K minus x?

Jason
04-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Jay Quote
A seasoned mentor who worked a brilliant career spanning Time-Life, Nat'l Geo, and Smithsonian always clearly articulated "Knee-con". Only hearing Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" on the radio protected me from bowing to expert practice and doing likewise.
That just shows you how seasoned and experienced your mentor was.

The Japanese pronunciation of Nikon is actually Knee-con. "Ni" is pronounced one way only and that's Nee, had they meant for Naikon, they would have used... Naikon. I'm one to believe that you should pronounce words the way they were meant to be pronounced by the creators, but it's so firmly entrenched now that even Japanese people will say "Naikon".

This also ties in with my annoyance at hearing long-je-ray (lingerie) or Or Durves (Hors d'œuvre). There's no need to butcher a language by Americanizing it.

04-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
what about K minus x?

Jason
That's a good point, and for those of us with a background in typography, it's actually a hyphen and not a dash at all--neither em dash OR en dash.
04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,858
The Pentax K Through X.

I still don't understand K through 7. Maybe it's a camera for young schoolchildren?
04-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The Pentax K Through X.
That's the best one yet!!!
04-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
That just shows you how seasoned and experienced your mentor was.

The Japanese pronunciation of Nikon is actually Knee-con. "Ni" is pronounced one way only and that's Nee, had they meant for Naikon, they would have used... Naikon. I'm one to believe that you should pronounce words the way they were meant to be pronounced by the creators, but it's so firmly entrenched now that even Japanese people will say "Naikon".

This also ties in with my annoyance at hearing long-je-ray (lingerie) or Or Durves (Hors d'œuvre). There's no need to butcher a language by Americanizing it.
I respect this, but its also obvious that Nikon is OK, with the more common pronunciation. if this is the case, it would not be fair to be against the common. they even allow its 'wrong' pronunciation in all of their advertising.

of course, I choose to pronounce it nee-kon out of respect, but I have always known it to be nai-kon, mainly due to the companies own advertising. so does that also mean its nee-kor for the lenses, even though nikon clearly pronounces them different?

04-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Forest Park, Georgia/Jacksonville, Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 633
When written it is fine. One knows the difference between K-x and KX. But since we are speaking about the pronunciation, for us film and digital Pentax types, should it be specified as the Kay Ecks Digital to avoid confusion with the original Kay Ecks Film camera? After all, if you assume someone is speaking only of the digital then you know the saying. ASS / U / ME

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 04-23-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia/Africa
Posts: 52
no no no we all know K-X is the (not so) long awaited update to the K-7, therefore it must be pronounced K-ten!!!!

they couldn't use k-8, thats like kate.. too girly
k-9, well. it's obvious what's wrong...
and to make the update to k-7 not so obvious, (to not upset K-7 owners , they went Roman!
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member
lavascript's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 390
I was caught off-gaurd the first time I saw a TV ad that listed specs on a P&S camera. I always thought they had a "three-ecks" optical zoom, but the lady on TV said "three times."

So I guess it's the Pentax "Kay times!"
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,491
It's actually pronounced "Eyjafjallajökull."
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Senior Member
Perrumpo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
no no no we all know K-X is the (not so) long awaited update to the K-7, therefore it must be pronounced K-ten!!!!

they couldn't use k-8, thats like kate.. too girly
k-9, well. it's obvious what's wrong...
and to make the update to k-7 not so obvious, (to not upset K-7 owners , they went Roman!
hah. That's probably why they made it a lowercase x. Otherwise, it could easily be perceived as K-10, like OS X.
04-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I respect this, but its also obvious that Nikon is OK, with the more common pronunciation. if this is the case, it would not be fair to be against the common. they even allow its 'wrong' pronunciation in all of their advertising.

of course, I choose to pronounce it nee-kon out of respect, but I have always known it to be nai-kon, mainly due to the companies own advertising. so does that also mean its nee-kor for the lenses, even though nikon clearly pronounces them different?
Oh, I think it's perfectly fine to say Naikon, given that Nikon itself has made no bones about it. It's endearing to hear another country give their own twist to a beloved name. Then again, I'd imagine Nikon didn't want to be bothered to correct everyone.

I'm not sure about Nikkor, I will have to ask.

My qualm is mainly with the pronunciation of objects like "lingerie". Which is absolutely ridiculous. Americans pronounce it with this fake French accent that is completely wrong "lun-je-ray". It's laughable. It's like pronouncing Nikon with a fake Japanese accent that is totally off.
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
no no no we all know K-X is the (not so) long awaited update to the K-7, therefore it must be pronounced K-ten!!!!

they couldn't use k-8, thats like kate.. too girly
k-9, well. it's obvious what's wrong...
and to make the update to k-7 not so obvious, (to not upset K-7 owners , they went Roman!
What's so wrong with the K-9? I wouldn't mind having a camera that could fetch, roll over, play dead (well maybe not so much) and be my best friend. Doesn't that sound like such a good marketing strategy for them?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-x, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question obxtata Site Suggestions and Help 1 03-10-2010 08:31 AM
K-x question mba1971 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 10-28-2009 11:49 PM
TC question jbcampbell Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 07-03-2009 11:11 AM
Question New here and have a question _who_ Site Suggestions and Help 6 06-16-2009 07:00 PM
An Answer to a question and a question. granitic Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 02-23-2007 09:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top