Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Jay Quote
So long as we avoid ever speaking to another human being, it will never matter.

It took a while for 2010 to standardize and settle down as "Twenty Ten".

A seasoned mentor who worked a brilliant career spanning Time-Life, Nat'l Geo, and Smithsonian always clearly articulated "Knee-con". Only hearing Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" on the radio protected me from bowing to expert practice and doing likewise.

To the "Dashites" out there-
Wonderful!
You've illustrated my reason for asking in the first place.

Thank you all for your thoughtful inputs.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. ~Mark Twain

It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word. ~Andrew Jackson
this is very noble and intelligent. kudos, however it should be at least reasonably obvious that the dash is not to be pronounced and that it serves the purpose to clearly illustrate that the two letters are to be pronounced separately. the dash is not part of the intended pronunciation. and as for nikon, its actually properly pronounced differently in the east and west. wether this was intended I do not know, but it is clearly an adopted practice.

04-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PaladinPete Quote
LOL @Ira. Since I'm new here I bow to the experts and just pronounce the letters without the dash.
Pronounce the dash and start a trend!!!
04-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

what about K minus x?

Jason
04-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Jay Quote
A seasoned mentor who worked a brilliant career spanning Time-Life, Nat'l Geo, and Smithsonian always clearly articulated "Knee-con". Only hearing Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" on the radio protected me from bowing to expert practice and doing likewise.
That just shows you how seasoned and experienced your mentor was.

The Japanese pronunciation of Nikon is actually Knee-con. "Ni" is pronounced one way only and that's Nee, had they meant for Naikon, they would have used... Naikon. I'm one to believe that you should pronounce words the way they were meant to be pronounced by the creators, but it's so firmly entrenched now that even Japanese people will say "Naikon".

This also ties in with my annoyance at hearing long-je-ray (lingerie) or Or Durves (Hors d'œuvre). There's no need to butcher a language by Americanizing it.

04-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
what about K minus x?

Jason
That's a good point, and for those of us with a background in typography, it's actually a hyphen and not a dash at all--neither em dash OR en dash.
04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The Pentax K Through X.

I still don't understand K through 7. Maybe it's a camera for young schoolchildren?
04-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The Pentax K Through X.
That's the best one yet!!!

04-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
That just shows you how seasoned and experienced your mentor was.

The Japanese pronunciation of Nikon is actually Knee-con. "Ni" is pronounced one way only and that's Nee, had they meant for Naikon, they would have used... Naikon. I'm one to believe that you should pronounce words the way they were meant to be pronounced by the creators, but it's so firmly entrenched now that even Japanese people will say "Naikon".

This also ties in with my annoyance at hearing long-je-ray (lingerie) or Or Durves (Hors d'œuvre). There's no need to butcher a language by Americanizing it.
I respect this, but its also obvious that Nikon is OK, with the more common pronunciation. if this is the case, it would not be fair to be against the common. they even allow its 'wrong' pronunciation in all of their advertising.

of course, I choose to pronounce it nee-kon out of respect, but I have always known it to be nai-kon, mainly due to the companies own advertising. so does that also mean its nee-kor for the lenses, even though nikon clearly pronounces them different?
04-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
Inactive Account

When written it is fine. One knows the difference between K-x and KX. But since we are speaking about the pronunciation, for us film and digital Pentax types, should it be specified as the Kay Ecks Digital to avoid confusion with the original Kay Ecks Film camera? After all, if you assume someone is speaking only of the digital then you know the saying. ASS / U / ME

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 04-23-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
Forum Member

no no no we all know K-X is the (not so) long awaited update to the K-7, therefore it must be pronounced K-ten!!!!

they couldn't use k-8, thats like kate.. too girly
k-9, well. it's obvious what's wrong...
and to make the update to k-7 not so obvious, (to not upset K-7 owners , they went Roman!
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I was caught off-gaurd the first time I saw a TV ad that listed specs on a P&S camera. I always thought they had a "three-ecks" optical zoom, but the lady on TV said "three times."

So I guess it's the Pentax "Kay times!"
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Pentaxian

It's actually pronounced "Eyjafjallajökull."
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote
no no no we all know K-X is the (not so) long awaited update to the K-7, therefore it must be pronounced K-ten!!!!

and to make the update to k-7 not so obvious, (to not upset K-7 owners , they went Roman!
hah. That's probably why they made it a lowercase x. Otherwise, it could easily be perceived as K-10, like OS X.
04-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I respect this, but its also obvious that Nikon is OK, with the more common pronunciation. if this is the case, it would not be fair to be against the common. they even allow its 'wrong' pronunciation in all of their advertising.

of course, I choose to pronounce it nee-kon out of respect, but I have always known it to be nai-kon, mainly due to the companies own advertising. so does that also mean its nee-kor for the lenses, even though nikon clearly pronounces them different?
Oh, I think it's perfectly fine to say Naikon, given that Nikon itself has made no bones about it. It's endearing to hear another country give their own twist to a beloved name. Then again, I'd imagine Nikon didn't want to be bothered to correct everyone.

I'm not sure about Nikkor, I will have to ask.

My qualm is mainly with the pronunciation of objects like "lingerie". Which is absolutely ridiculous. Americans pronounce it with this fake French accent that is completely wrong "lun-je-ray". It's laughable. It's like pronouncing Nikon with a fake Japanese accent that is totally off.
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 68deluxe Quote

What's so wrong with the K-9? I wouldn't mind having a camera that could fetch, roll over, play dead (well maybe not so much) and be my best friend. Doesn't that sound like such a good marketing strategy for them?