Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #1

Opinions, Advice, Tips

I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a canon s3is. But after messing around with a Canon 350d at circuit city today. I was wondering if I should just step it up to a dslr. How do the two cameras mentioned above compare to say a 300d/350d? I know both pentax have less megapixels, which I don't mind. I'm still pretty much a newb, and I'm only working with a nikon 4600. Reason being why I wanted to upgrade to the s3. Another reason being, I'm kind of intimadated to step up to the dslr with my experience.

So now I'm just looking for advice on these 2 cameras. Or would I be better off working with the S3is first, learning that. Then a few years from now step up to a dslr, maybe one even better than both pentax? If I decide to go with the pentax, what's a good upgrade lens to go with. I mostly like shooting buildings, landscape, and macro stuff. Also, my budget will be kind of tight. So how is the kit lens that comes with the camera work? I'd be stuck with that until I can upgrade to a better lens.

Thanks for any words of wisdom guys/gals.

11-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a canon s3is. But after messing around with a Canon 350d at circuit city today. I was wondering if I should just step it up to a dslr. How do the two cameras mentioned above compare to say a 300d/350d? I know both pentax have less megapixels, which I don't mind. I'm still pretty much a newb, and I'm only working with a nikon 4600. Reason being why I wanted to upgrade to the s3. Another reason being, I'm kind of intimadated to step up to the dslr with my experience.

So now I'm just looking for advice on these 2 cameras. Or would I be better off working with the S3is first, learning that. Then a few years from now step up to a dslr, maybe one even better than both pentax? If I decide to go with the pentax, what's a good upgrade lens to go with. I mostly like shooting buildings, landscape, and macro stuff. Also, my budget will be kind of tight. So how is the kit lens that comes with the camera work? I'd be stuck with that until I can upgrade to a better lens.

Thanks for any words of wisdom guys/gals.
sorry, but which pentax dslr's are you considering?
I am a little confused but would like to help

randy
11-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think he wants us to recommend him one...

if ur looking at the 350D....I think you're better off w/ a K100D.

yes less MP, but more MP isnt always better, the image quality on the k110 (from what i've seen thus far) have been great, and you cant beat in-body Shake reduction...

plus..if u get a pentax, you get to hang w/ the cool ppl..such as us...
11-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sign me up to help too...

Guess you didn't notice the Pentax name in the site URL; it really says a lot about the topics here. But seeing as you seem like a nice person and you really asked politely, here's my take:

You got a P&S and you seem aware of the possibilities and difficulties in learning a dSLR system. That's a perfect time to make the jump!

I will never say that Canon or Nikon equipment is bad; I do say that Pentax equipment, like Pentax the company has a single guiding philosophy that has stood the test of time: they make sound and capable equipment for intelligent and creative people to free their internal photographic vision.

The current offerings in their digital 'K' line are true to the philosophy. As a K100 owner, I second the above sentiments and advice--it's a great camera.

11-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax 100d is certainly a good choice: light, compact, great colour and great price. I am giving this to a friend of mine as I am using k10d mainly starting from today. Both are light comparing to canon/nokon cameras.

CMOS DIGIC II sensors in 300/350d are not interpreting the colour as great as DS or k100d. There tends to be more orange/yellow hue with highlights, low light photography will render dark orange hue.

k100d does produce more accurate colour. At the same time, the images tend to reveal less details when there is a wide dymanic range within the image frame taken.

p.s. A photographer always brings his/her camera no matter where he/she goes. Would you like to carry a light DSLR like pentax k100d or other dominant brands? I had left my canon gear in my glass cabinet like a museum window...

Definitely more features in k100d than the models you are considering.
11-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #6

Pentax, of course..

and you can use all those lovely lenses they have produced over the last 40 years or so. Some you might get at a decent price.

Take care
Paul
11-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Oh sorry for leaving that info out. I was looking at the K100D and the K110D, but now I'm only looking at the K100D. Just trying to compare the K100D between the s3IS, 300D/350D.

11-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I voted with my money and chose the K100D. I think it's the best features for the money, plus you can use any Pentax lens made in the last 30 years (some of which are excellent, and very reasonably priced). When you put those nice old lenses on the K100D, they're now suddenly improved by the built in shake reduction. For the price of one Canon image stabilized lens, you can buy the K100D and a nice zoom, and it's stabilized as well.

Now, that being said, I think the pictures from just about all the dSLRs will be great and you really won't see differences until you try to print posters, or you go looking specifically for a problem. Related to that is that no point and shoot will equal the image quality of a dSLR. You might find a limited situation where the P&S produces a shot of similar quality to the dSLR (say, well lit, not that fast, not a lot of detail). But when you start going to really fast shots, or low light, then a dSLR shows it's superiority.

The downside to dSLRs (besides cost) is size, and having to use multiple lenses to get the absolute best quality pictures. Yes, you can get super zooms that match the P&S zooms (I have a 28-300), but the pictures suffer a tad. However, I'd say they're still better than a P&S zoom.

I still own a Canon S1 and really liked it. I kept it as my "camcorder". However, I bought one of the top Kodak P&S, the Kodak P850 and sold it after about a month so I could buy a Pentax *istDL. It was the best photo decision I've made. Digital SLRs give me much more fun and allow me to try lots of new things in my photography. I'm still a bad photographer, but I occasionally take some better shots, and more importantly, I'm have lots more fun. BTW, I sold the *istDL after 6 weeks when the K100D came out because I wanted the built-in shake reduction. Like I said at the beginning, I think it's the best value out there.

To summarize this long, rambling post, (1) Pentax is a good value, (2) try other dSLRs to find the one you like - they're all good, and (3) any dSLR will beat any P&S for picture quality, especially at the extremes.

Good luck!
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for that info Rfortson.

Yeah, i first I was all into the "top name" companies. I didn't even consider taking a look at the pentax cameras until I seen it mentioned in a thread on another forum. Low a behold when I took a look and seen both the K100D and K110D i was very impressed. Did a little more research about the SR, didn't think I would want or need it. But now I do, so I'm pretty much sold on getting the K100D. Then did a little more reading and research and found out the old school lens will fit the new school bodies. So with all that being said, I'm pretty much sold on getting the K100D.

Now I'm just trying to decide on what other lens I want to go with besides the kit lens. What's are some good lens to go with for Macro, for telephoto, and for wide angle? Also something good for low to medium lighting indoor shooting? Are there any lens out there that can do 2 in 1? Or would a seperate lens be needing for all the shooting I'm looking for?

So I'm a newb, and have some many questions. Trust me, while I'm asking they questions, I'm still searching and trying to find this info on my own. But feel free to chime in along the way.

Thanks to every one, so far people on this forum have been very helpful.
11-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have both the Rebel & the K100D, and think both cameras are wonderful. I like the SR in the K100D, but we also have IS lenses for the Rebel. The reason that I decided to get the K100D is because it "fits" my hands and the controls seem very intuitive to me, I was always searching on the Rebel, and my fingers felt squished.

One thing before you make a final decision, if possible try to physically hold the cameras and play around with the controls to see which one feels the best and which controls are easier for you to navigate.
11-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote

Now I'm just trying to decide on what other lens I want to go with besides the kit lens. What's are some good lens to go with for Macro, for telephoto, and for wide angle? Also something good for low to medium lighting indoor shooting? Are there any lens out there that can do 2 in 1? Or would a seperate lens be needing for all the shooting I'm looking for?
I'd vote for the Pentax DA50-200mm zoom as your next lens. There's a $50 rebate on it right now, putting the price around $175. With the kit lens and this zoom, you'll have just about any normal shooting situation covered (zoom range from 18-200mm). The zoom is just about the same size as the kit lens, meaning small and light. After using these two lenses, you'll start to see where you use your camera the most, and then you can focus on getting better lenses (prime lenses) in those areas. Some people love the 50mm lenses. I have the FA50 f1.4. It's a great low-light lens, but it's really hard to find now. You can get manual focus versions on ePrey for under $100. Another prime lens I like is the 135mm f2.8. It's an auto-aperture, but manual focus. With the 1.5 cropping factor, it's like a 200mm prime lens. There are tons of lenses out there for just about any purpose. You'll find that you need all of them, eventually.

Check out this site for a good overview of older Pentax lenses.

Finally, check for camera shows in your area. One nice thing about using Pentax is that everyone at the shows are looking for Canon and Nikon gear (and driving the price up). The Pentax gear is usually there (not as plentiful, though) and the prices are very reasonable. Last year, I got the following for ~$150:
- Vivitar 28mm/f2.8
- Sears 135mm/f2.8
- Takumar (by Pentax) 135mm/f2.5
- Pentax SMC-A 80-200mm zoom
- Pentax SMC-A 70-210 macro/zoom with constant f4.0 aperture

The 135mm primes are both great (the Sears lens cost $5!) and the 70-210 zoom is a very nice older zoom. Constant f4.0 aperture is nice and fairly fast at 210mm. The macro is a bonus.

Anyway, go get the DA50-200 and have fun! You'll have plenty of time for LBA!
11-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you have just about all the recomedations in the above responses.

The only thing I could add as a current 350D/Rebel XT owner is the following:

When I purchased Canon, Pentax K100D was not available and Costco had $200 off at that time, otherwise I wouldn't have think twice. Yes, 350D is a very capable camera, and with good lens it can and does produce very nice photos. However, things I do consider a draw back are:

Not very bright view finder
Very dim and small screen (1.8" I believe)
It has tendency to underexpose more often than I would like it to see (though I've learn how to overcome these and somewhat predict on when I would have to shoot in complete manual mode)
IS (Image Stabilized) Canon lenses are EXTREME $$$ premium over non IS (and SR system of K100D is built into the body!

Just my personal thoughts...

Regards,
D
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #13

hi!

i had a canon S1IS and liked it (esp. the manual controls, the flip screen, silence...). but after a few thousand pictures you just can't stand noise, CA, grainy pics any longer. all cameras with a small sensor (except for the fuji f30 in some respect) produce lower quality pictures than DSLRS with large sensors.

so, if image quality is what you want, go for a DSLR! i use a *ist DS and am quite happy with it and have never regretted my decision for pentax (esp. those old, but excellent manual lenses!).

as concerns the entry-canons, i don't like their look and feel (plasticky, flimsy) and what i read in some forum discussions was about the canon AF: its faster than the pentax but less accurate; meaning that the canon focuses "approximately" and relies on DOF to deliver an in focus picture, whilst pentax tries to be exact which - of course - takes a few fractions of a second longer. and pentaxes at the entry level are among the very few, if not only, to offer spot-metering, DOF preview and full manual control (this pertains to manual lenses that do not incapacitate metering on any pentax, as with the nikons up to the D80)!
11-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #14

Be careful

The jump from a PNShoot to a DSLR is more of a transition than most people think. There's a definite learning curve to use a DSLR, but the possibilities are limited only by your willingness to shoot, shoot and shoot even more photos. That's the beauty of digital. To me (a DS owner) but a long-time film shooter, I found Pentax very user friendly and easy to use. The quality of images enlarged even to 10X20 and 16X20" is unbelievably GOOD. I'm tempted to move to the K100D instead of the K10 just to get the SR system for low light hand-held shooting. I don't know much about the other manufacturers, except I have used a Rebel XT and the build quality and "feel" does not even come close to Pentax. Image wise...they're about the same. I really like using AA batteries (NiMH and Lithium). Good luck with your decision. I really feel you can't go wrong with Pentax...K100D or K10.