Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #1

why is my viewinder so dark?

My Pentax *istD works fine with my telephoto lens letting plenty of light into the viewfinder, so that I can manually focus, but the stock 18-55 lens that came with it is SO DARK , even in sunlight, that it is difficult to focus. Am I doing something wrong?

Dan

04-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is the maximum aperture of your telephoto lens? The 18-55 by about 50mm or so is only f5.6. If your telephoto lens is faster than that then the image in the viewfinder will be brighter.
04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Banned

what type of kmount telephoto are you using? what is its focal length and max aperture? is it a manual lens, or is the aperture controlled by the body? the maximum aperture at 18mm is 3.5 at 55 its 5.6, so its likely that the kit lens would be darker, but I cant understand why it would be too dark to focus. maybe the aperture coupling isnt working? when you mount a DA lens, (not sure if this goes for 'A' contact lenses with an aperture ring like FA or DFA) the lens automatically goes to wide open and stays there. look at the front of the lens when its mounted, is it wide open? or is the aperture closed down? when you remove it, regardless of aperture selected on the body, it will close down to the smallest aperture so it should be easy to tell if its not working properly.
04-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
is it wide open? or is the aperture closed down? when you remove it, regardless of aperture selected on the body, it will close down to the smallest aperture so it should be easy to tell if its not working properly.
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Dan